Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2022, 09:37 PM   #1

Schwinn Tech slide out trim piece separating from body.

Please excuse me if I use the wrong terminology. The trim piece that the wiper seal attaches to is pulling away from its mounting point. When the slide is extended out it looks fine but when its retracted its looks like its pulling away from the main body of the camper. Pictures attached. When retracted I can see light getting through the opening created by this. How do I fix this and is it a sign of another problem with the slide ?

Sorry for some reason it rotated the pictures 90 degrees to the left.
Attached Thumbnails
!cid_0f6cb3e0-de65-49cb-9db7-d5801c12f9ff@NAMP221_PROD_OUTLOOK.jpg   !cid_011f5232-598f-483d-9746-2f954b9fbfa1@NAMP221_PROD_OUTLOOK.jpg  
ScoutMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:06 PM   #2

You need to drill new holes (not too deep, the walls are thin) about an inch away from each failed screw. Remove the old screws. Put larger self-tapping screws in the new holes, then caulk the old holes.
This is just one of the many problems you can expect with a Schwintek the longer you keep it. I have replaced all the screws on one Schwintek slide, and now the smaller slide is starting to come loose. After repair, keep an eye on it. Check to make sure everything is in place inside the trailer, too. Get used to watching YouTube videos, lol. Also, there are other folks on here that have made the same repairs.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:23 AM   #3

Same as above and I'd probably add some strong adhesive between the molding and rv for extra assurance. Treat the rubber so there's no probability of it sticking and pulling away.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:56 AM   #4

Also- I just noticed that you said "trim piece". It's not just a trim piece, it is the actual frame of your Schwintek system. It needs to be fixed, or your slide will go crooked and jam.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:12 PM   #5

What slide is this, and model RV? If it's under warranty, let your dealership try to fix it. Check your screws, nearly every one on my kitchen slideout (slim rack system) had snapped off heads but were stuck in the holes by sealant.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:59 PM   #6

So when you say drill new holes then get bigger screws. Is the new drilled hole suppose to be a pilot hole for the new screw ? Drilled hole being slightly smaller than the new screw. Do you recommend not reusing the original screws ?
Old 10-11-2022, 09:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutMaster View Post
So when you say drill new holes then get bigger screws. Is the new drilled hole suppose to be a pilot hole for the new screw ? Drilled hole being slightly smaller than the new screw. Do you recommend not reusing the original screws ?
Definitely new, bigger screws. The originals are too small, that's why they don't hold. Yes, it's a pilot hole smaller than the screw size. You'll be using self drilling screws, but it's much easier to get them started if you drill a small hole first.

I am using the screws in the picture. Much larger than original, and I was afraid the head would stick up too much and hit the slide when closed, but they don't.

Like a previous poster said, some of your screws may be broken, but the head is still there. Check or replace them all.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7094.jpg  
Old 10-16-2022, 05:23 PM   #8

I bought the exact screws you posted they're obviously bigger than the factory screws.
Can't I just remove the factory screws and since the newer screws are bigger just use the original screw holes as my pilot holes? And do you happen to know what drill bit size you were using when you drilled your new pilot holes? If you don't know off the top of your head don't worry about. Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:32 PM   #9

Quote:
I bought the exact screws you posted they're obviously bigger than the factory screws.
Can't I just remove the factory screws and since the newer screws are bigger just use the original screw holes as my pilot holes? And do you happen to know what drill bit size you were using when you drilled your new pilot holes? If you don't know off the top of your head don't worry about. Thanks for all your help.

Did you ever attempt this repair? I found one missing, but I’m thinking it’s the head that’s gone after reading this, so I need to replace that one in a new hole. I checked the others, and they seem secure, but hard to really tell because all the heads are rounded out(crazy Amish and their power tools). May just be stuck in caulk.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 06:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes you can use the same holes, but if the smaller ones ripped out, they might have made the hole pretty big. Also, if the head broke off and left the screw in, it would be very difficult to drill through it. I saw a Lippert video about this, and they say put new screws about an inch away from the old ones.
The screws I got work well after I drill about 1/8” pilot hole. I wish the heads didn’t stick up so much, but that’s the best they had at the big box store.
Cincinnati Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:42 AM   #11

Schwinn Tech slide out trim piece separating from body.

Not my post, but I’ll follow your lead on this and give it a shot. Don’t want mine to end up like the OP’s.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 01:59 PM   #12

Ok, I installed the new screws reusing the original holes. It seems to be holding. Gonna keep an eye on it and if they start to pull out again I'll drill new holes. The new screws really stood out being shiny silver. So I put some black paint and them and now you don't notice them at all. I am a little concerned about those large screw heads pushing into the gasket on the slide. Not sure if that will eventually cause them to crack. But for now this works and I'll keep an eye on it.
Thanks for the Help !!
Attached Thumbnails
NewScrews.jpg   Seal.jpg  
Old 10-20-2022, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Ok, I installed the new screws reusing the original holes. It seems to be holding. Gonna keep an eye on it and if they start to pull out again I'll drill new holes. The new screws really stood out being shiny silver. So I put some black paint and them and now you don't notice them at all. I am a little concerned about those large screw heads pushing into the gasket on the slide. Not sure if that will eventually cause them to crack. But for now this works and I'll keep an eye on it.
Thanks for the Help !!
Nice- I painted ours too. Agree, I would like flatter heads, but I'll look for them later.
Old 10-22-2022, 01:21 PM   #14

Angry This happened to us

The exact same thing that happened to you happened to us. The slide's frame broke away and the slide would be very difficult to move in and out. We submitted it on our extended warranty and they would not cover it. They said something that 'fasteners(screws) aren't covered. We ended up having to replace the entire slide on our dime. I plan on going to arbitration on this issue as I feel it should be a covered warranty item.
jlhill1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 06:23 PM   #15

Good luck

Don’t know what type of m/h you have but been there, done that, tried this, that, with warranty, till finally had to work on them myself till Dear wife said, we can’t go anywhere without one of these stupid slides mess up an you spend the trip having to work on them, and I am tired of it!!!
SELL IT !!! Took a big hit and traded it and been a HAPPY camper since then
Gchan is offline   Reply With Quote