Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2022, 07:44 AM   #1

Scissor Chock Issues

Hey everyone, I recently bought a pair of wheel chock scissor stabilizers and put them on my Northpoint 5th wheel. I didn’t apply excessive force, just normal pressure, but I heard a thump come from on of the wheels. The next time camping, our wheel bearings on the same side as the thump sound failed and created a very ominous situation. Has anyone else had a situation like this before? Once we start camping again, those scissor stabilizers are going into a trash bin! I’ll be using the good old fashioned rubber wheel chocks from now on. I’d love to hear your comments. Thanks

K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:47 AM   #2

Chocks didn't cause the issue, they just alerted you to it!

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:50 AM   #3

I've used them for years without issue on my Northpoint (was surprised how much they helped on a 5th wheel with electric stabilizers after using them previously on my travel trailer).

Sounds like you uncovered a lurking wheel bearing issue as mrmom noted.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
Chocks didn't cause the issue, they just alerted you to it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
I've used them for years without issue on my Northpoint (was surprised how much they helped on a 5th wheel with electric stabilizers after using them previously on my travel trailer).

Sounds like you uncovered a lurking wheel bearing issue as mrmom noted.
X2, If you really do not want them. Leave them next to the dumpster, someone will feel like they won the Loto. I have been using them for years. Absolutely love them.

If you had never serviced the bearings, I suspect there was insufficient grease during the manufacturing process, which is known to happen.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Holbrook View Post
I’d love to hear your comments. Thanks

My opinion, there was a wheel bearing problem already there. I fail to see how the scissors chocks would cause any damage.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:31 AM   #6

X-Chocks are for stabilizing your rig and not to chock the wheels.

The first vendor I visited, etrailer.com explained it this way:
Note: The purpose of the Super Grip Chock is to limit front-to-back motion on parked tandem-axle trailers. Do not use as a brake or a wheel wedge.

You chock your wheels ($7.99 ea at harbor freight) before disconnecting your tow truck and then install X-Chocks before you extend your slides. Always chock tires before you X-Chock them and when packing up, remove the X-Chocks before you remove the wheel chocks.

To do otherwise is dangerous and may damage your tires, or worse.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:57 AM   #7

Those chocks wouldn't even remotely generate enough force to harm a wheel bearing! Wasn't caused by the chocks. Defective parts, improperly installed or lack of maintenance is why it failed.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
X-Chocks are for stabilizing your rig and not to chock the wheels.

The first vendor I visited, etrailer.com explained it this way:
Note: The purpose of the Super Grip Chock is to limit front-to-back motion on parked tandem-axle trailers. Do not use as a brake or a wheel wedge.

You chock your wheels ($7.99 ea at harbor freight) before disconnecting your tow truck and then install X-Chocks before you extend your slides. Always chock tires before you X-Chock them and when packing up, remove the X-Chocks before you remove the wheel chocks.

To do otherwise is dangerous and may damage your tires, or worse.

Good points, though I'm not sure the OP didn't follow proper procedure here.

I have seen people install their x-chocks and then decouple the trailer. I cringe every time I imagine the stress their suspension is enduring as the trailer is rising dramatically and the tires are being held in place...

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Good points, though I'm not sure the OP didn't follow proper procedure here.

I have seen people install their x-chocks and then decouple the trailer. I cringe every time I imagine the stress their suspension is enduring as the trailer is rising dramatically and the tires are being held in place...
The tires shouldn't move. The trailer pivots on the suspension equalizers and wheel bearings. You don't want your wheels to move or the trailer will move.

Earl
Old 09-19-2022, 11:19 AM   #10

Thanks for your feedback. Just for clarification purposes. The trailer is a 2020. Bearings were packed at the factory when built. I repacked them spring if 21 and again this spring. The trailer has a total of 750 miles in it. It has Dexter E-Z lube axles so the repacking is a breeze. Since it has so few miles on it, I’m scratching my head trying to figure out the issue. The trailer was made when the factory was closed down from COVID, and they used a skeleton crew. So, there were people doing jobs that they didn’t normally do. I suspect that has something to do with it. I guess I’ll bite the bullet and replace all of them. At least I’ll have piece of mind.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Holbrook View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Just for clarification purposes. The trailer is a 2020. Bearings were packed at the factory when built. I repacked them spring if 21 and again this spring. The trailer has a total of 750 miles in it. It has Dexter E-Z lube axles so the repacking is a breeze. Since it has so few miles on it, I’m scratching my head trying to figure out the issue. The trailer was made when the factory was closed down from COVID, and they used a skeleton crew. So, there were people doing jobs that they didn’t normally do. I suspect that has something to do with it. I guess I’ll bite the bullet and replace all of them. At least I’ll have piece of mind.
The E-Z lube is not a true repacking. It is a Band-Aid method of adding a little bit of grease, and only if done a correctly, between proper disassembly and inspecting and a true repacking of the bearings. I did this to my trailer as soon as I bought it and found 2 of the hubs were not set correctly and had way too much play. This and being over tight will cause premature bearing wear and failure.
mavrick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick0 View Post
The E-Z lube is not a true repacking. It is a Band-Aid method of adding a little bit of grease, and only if done a correctly, between proper disassembly and inspecting and a true repacking of the bearings. I did this to my trailer as soon as I bought it and found 2 of the hubs were not set correctly and had way too much play. This and being over tight will cause premature bearing wear and failure.
I agree and add never ever use EZ lube. Old school it. It's the only proper way to do it. Can't clean and inspect the bearings and races, find leaking seals or brake issues if you do EZ lube.

Earl
Old 09-19-2022, 07:47 PM   #13

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:57 PM   #14

Suspect bad oem parts. When I hand repacked my bearing the first time, I found a defective retaining clip.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote