Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #1

Service trailer brake system message

Own a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax. Towed a 2011 Open Range Journeyer for 7 years with no issues. Just got a Jayco 36KPTS 5th wheel. Second time out and we have again received the service electric brake message. The brakes have worked on and off. Dealer states it is the truck but we have had no issues until they created the the new plug receptacle in the bed of the truck. Was fine for a couple of months but now the brakes will not work and I believe it blew the 30 amp fuse for the brakes. The dealership took their work apart and it worked again for just a few hours. It was basically a plug-in feature to create the new receptacle except where they wired in the new plug in the bed of the truck. (Which has a sprayed in bedliner). Grounding issue?. I am going to disconnect their work and replace the fuse and use the original plug as a process of elimination. Any thoughts out there before I begin the exhausting work of dealing with 2 dealerships?
MLaffoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #2

Be sure you have a good ground between the truck and trailer via wiring. Do not try grounding through the hitch and king pin. This is the norm but sometimes you find idiots that only ground through the hitch connection and not wiring.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #3

I'm a tech at a Chevy dealer and we see problems like this often. Does your truck have a factory trailer brake controller? Most of the 3/4 and 1 tons do. It will be built into the dash(JL1 on the RPO label). The new trucks have ABS,traction control and stabilitrak. To allow these systems to work with the trailer attached the truck tries to determine the type of brake system (electric or electrohydraulic) the trailer has and how many axles. GM calls this trailer brake type characterization. I have yet to read exactly how it does this but I would assume the wiring and connections would be important (I only say this because you had wiring work done). That said the problems on the truck side of the system are usually the control switch (dash) or the trailer brake control module (under truck above spare tire). Do you have any codes set in the truck?
Old 06-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #4

Thanks, one of my thoughts also.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #5

Why don’t you plug in to bumper plug and see if it works ok??

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #6

Tried that. Same issues. I think that's because the dealership tied into the original equipment.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #7

I saw an article about replacing the control module and might try that after getting advice from everyone. Yes my truck has the control on the dash and came as OEM with the truck. As for codes I have not done anything except plug into the new receptacle the camper dealership installed. Where would I put in codes? A friend said I might have to tell the truck that I was towing "heavy"?
Old 06-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLaffoon View Post
I saw an article about replacing the control module and might try that after getting advice from everyone. Yes my truck has the control on the dash and came as OEM with the truck. As for codes I have not done anything except plug into the new receptacle the camper dealership installed. Where would I put in codes? A friend said I might have to tell the truck that I was towing "heavy"?
He meant codes as in fault codes from the trucks computers. You would need a scan tool unless you can get it through the dash. I'm no GM guy so I don't know if the dash tells you codes or if you can retrieve them through the dash.

Have you read the truck manual on the trailer brake? Have you verified the settings are correct for what you're towing?

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 06-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #9

My next step is to re-read the manual and make sure I understand it it. Maybe I missed a step. I assumed ( and that can get you in trouble) that you just plug the trailer in and go. But maybe it is more complex than that. Electronic features and all that. I can't retrieve any codes on my screen. I'll need the tool.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLaffoon View Post
My next step is to re-read the manual and make sure I understand it it. Maybe I missed a step. I assumed ( and that can get you in trouble) that you just plug the trailer in and go. But maybe it is more complex than that. Electronic features and all that. I can't retrieve any codes on my screen. I'll need the tool.
No brake controller is a plug it in and go. There are different settings. You have gain, some trucks have light, med and heavy trailer. Electric brakes and electric over hydraulic brakes setting. Read the manual and be sure all your settings are correct and correct for the trailer and then try it. That should be your first step.
All trailers are different. So each trailer will require different settings to brake as you please. Gain is something you may need to adjust frequently for road conditions. Dry road vs wet roads vs snow and ice.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 06-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #11

I had this issue with my current trailer and my old 3/4 ton. It too was added aftermarket and gave me that error especially when it was raining! Never had this issue with my new truck so I would be confident saying it is the truck and not the trailer.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #12

We have a 2008 F450 & never had any issues when towing our 2007 Cameo. Picked up the Jayco April 2016. We were going to Virginia Beach (June 2016) and just before entering the tunnel had "wiring fault on trailer". Pulled over & everything is plugged in. Arrived at campground & did some cursory checking. Contacted Coach Net & the "tech" stated it was our truck. Found a dealership that could get our truck in quickly & nope, not our truck. Scheduled to have the dealership take a look and it turns out that one of the wires on the front brake door side was wrapped around the spindle.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #13

I had a 2010 chevy 2500hd with the trailer package. It came with an extra set of wires tucked between the cab and bed along the frame so a 7 pin plug could be added to the inside of the bed. Hooked all the wires correctly but always had issues seen the same message. Had to replace the relay. I ended up uninstalling that plug and just used the one on the bumper and never had anymore issues.
luvs2camp7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #14

Same problem with 2008 Duramax 3500 with Jayco and then Cedar Creek. Started with what seemed to be related to dampness. Had GMC dealer replace module. NG. Now replaced integral in dash slide switch as Dan-Phyllis suggests and seems to have solved it so far.
esacnj is offline   Reply With Quote