Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #1

Shower drain smell

I have a month old north point 377rlbh and just recently the shower started having fumes coming up from the drain which leads me to believe the trap isn't holding water. I'm not sure what else it could be but don't know why this would be happening or how to remedy the problem. I stay in the camper basically all the time because I use it when I'm out of town on a job. Which is most the year. I've had to put a cup over the drain to keep the smell out of the inside. Anyone have this issue or know what to do. I'm gonna take the basement walk out this evening and look at the shower drain just to see if there's anything out of the ordinary.
1stnlast59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #2

We have had the same issue in the past as well. Some of things we'd tried to reduce the odor:

1. Used a mix of Dishwasher detergent and water in a half-full holding tank. Let sit for a day or slosh around going from one destination to the next. Then, drain and rinse with fresh water at your next dump opportunity.

2. Used a better biodegradable shampoo, conditioner and body soap. We found that products used in our house do not work well with RV tanks holding grey water. We use the Camp Soap product from REI, which is good for both hair and body.

3. Used a good tank-prep product, like Happy Camper or Odorlos. Both seemed to work well and we experienced no more odor.

4. Check your tank vents on the roof, as there may be blockage and/or critters building a home in them.

Good luck and hope your problem is solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnlast59 View Post
I have a month old north point 377rlbh and just recently the shower started having fumes coming up from the drain which leads me to believe the trap isn't holding water. I'm not sure what else it could be but don't know why this would be happening or how to remedy the problem. I stay in the camper basically all the time because I use it when I'm out of town on a job. Which is most the year. I've had to put a cup over the drain to keep the smell out of the inside. Anyone have this issue or know what to do. I'm gonna take the basement walk out this evening and look at the shower drain just to see if there's anything out of the ordinary.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #3

Surely none of this could be the issue with it only a month old. This never happened in my old cedar creek using the same soaps.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
Site Team

Try pouring a little cooking oil in the trap and see if that stops it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #5

Are you using the shower? If not the water trap could be empty from evaporation or on the road. If you're using the shower several times a week or more the trap should stay full. Did you verify the trap is there and installed correctly? Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't install a trap or installed it incorrectly.
Another issue could be the trap has a leak and it's emptying itself.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #6

If they plumbed yours the same as mine we do not have a p trap.

It looks like this one on the link below.

HepvO 1-1/2" Waterless Trap - Drains & Adapters - Sink & Drain - Plumbing

I already have plans to replace with a normal p-trap. These thing literally stink! Its a one way valve which is supposed to stop smells from coming back through it. I haven't had mine totally apart yet, but am assuming there is hair etc causing the valve to not close fully. That combined with the fantastic vent fan sucking lots of air is causing our smell I believe. It also causes the shower to drain very slow.. Look in your basement storage behind panel where the drain comes out of the tub. It comes straight down then horizontal where this valve/tube is located. No p-trap. Let me know what you find.

UpstateNYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Are you using the shower? If not the water trap could be empty from evaporation or on the road. If you're using the shower several times a week or more the trap should stay full. Did you verify the trap is there and installed correctly? Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't install a trap or installed it incorrectly.
Another issue could be the trap has a leak and it's emptying itself.

Earl
Yes we use the shower daily.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateNYer View Post
If they plumbed yours the same as mine we do not have a p trap.

It looks like this one on the link below.

HepvO 1-1/2" Waterless Trap - Drains & Adapters - Sink & Drain - Plumbing

I already have plans to replace with a normal p-trap. These thing literally stink! Its a one way valve which is supposed to stop smells from coming back through it. I haven't had mine totally apart yet, but am assuming there is hair etc causing the valve to not close fully. That combined with the fantastic vent fan sucking lots of air is causing our smell I believe. It also causes the shower to drain very slow.. Look in your basement storage behind panel where the drain comes out of the tub. It comes straight down then horizontal where this valve/tube is located. No p-trap. Let me know what you find.
I will look into it this evening. That sounds exactly like what's goin on in mine. I will let u know what I find. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #9

I use happy camper and it works well. It doesn't take long for the smell to start. One way to make it better is to not leave the drain open to the sewer. Let the water accumulate with happy camper in the tank at least once per month or two.
Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #10

Don't pee in the shower.

Heh
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
Don't pee in the shower.

Heh
Especially after eating asparagus!
Old 08-24-2017, 03:19 AM   #12

Our 377RLBH has the waterless trap. It works OK now but it was originally installed backwards and wouldn't drain at all. You might try taking out the trap and cleaning it, something may have gotten caught in it and is holding it open. Oh yeah, it's a pain to get to.
Dave A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
Our 377RLBH has the waterless trap. It works OK now but it was originally installed backwards and wouldn't drain at all. You might try taking out the trap and cleaning it, something may have gotten caught in it and is holding it open. Oh yeah, it's a pain to get to.
Thanks. We been working till 9 every night since I asked about this. I hope to get to look at it this evening.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #14

Just as was suspected. And the local lowes doesn't carry abs pipe or fittings. Guess I'll wait till Sunday and drive to the next town to another lowes to get the parts and fix it right
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0276.jpg  
Old 08-26-2017, 01:30 PM   #15

Are you letting grease and food scraps get into your gray tanks? If so, it can smell worse than your black tanks. I make sure everything is well scraped before washing dishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #16

I'll have to look at my 321RSTS. No problems yet, but I will check on the type of shower trap I have, just to know. I like the idea of adding Happy Camper to the gray tank every so often too. Good advise.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Are you letting grease and food scraps get into your gray tanks? If so, it can smell worse than your black tanks. I make sure everything is well scraped before washing dishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that it is two separate get tanks. But even still the problem is that the smell comes up the drain. Shouldn't be doing this. I'm gonna redo the drain with a p trap probably Monday.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #18

Quote:
I think that it is two separate get tanks. But even still the problem is that the smell comes up the drain. Shouldn't be doing this. I'm gonna redo the drain with a p trap probably Monday.
I was told in order for p trap to work properly the tank needs to be vented?

Let me know how you make out, and a supply list would be awesome as well.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateNYer View Post
I was told in order for p trap to work properly the tank needs to be vented?

Let me know how you make out, and a supply list would be awesome as well.
Aren't the tanks vented to the rooftop. Closed tanks won't work properly anyways.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Aren't the tanks vented to the rooftop. Closed tanks won't work properly anyways.

Did not see an external vent on ours, and according to the maker of the waterless trap there is no need for venting.. I'll double check ours this weekend...

"HepvOŽ actively eliminates negative pressure within the waste system by opening and allowing in fresh air until a state of equilibrium with atmosphere is reached. This means that secondary venting of the waste system via the inclusion of air admittance valves in the waste system is no longer necessary."

Another way to possibly cut costs by not having to run another vent to roof?