Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #1

Angry So disappointed in my pinnacle

Bought a new 2019 Jayco Pinnacle 377MDQS back in April. Did a very lengthy walk-thru of our new camper and then spent the night nearby to find any additional kinks that only come with using the camper. Went back the next day for several additional items to be repaired. Left the dealership that afternoon to meet our son about 5 hours away for what remained of a great camping weekend. Upon arrival and opening the door, we found the rear valance had fallen down and left a small hole on the very back of the sofa. While it caused us a little concern, we opted to make the repair ourselves and secured the valance back up and enjoyed our weekend. This time, we left for a lengthy trip to the Northeast. Upon arriving at our first destination, we opened the camper door to find that the entire ceiling and cabinets below it had fallen down causing damage to the sofa, the trim around the double opposing slides, the vinyl flooring, and it was simply dangling by the wires to the LED lights. It was secured by what I would call "kindling" thin wood strips and was only attached by glue. The ceiling board was only some wafer board if that. We ended up having to cut the wires to the LED lights so that we could remove the ceiling/cabinetry from the couch area and then spent the next week with it sitting in the middle of the floor. But after finding a place in the camper for this 8 .5 foot section of ceiling & cabinetry, we next went to turn on the AC for the camper. Front AC/Heat Pump wouldn't work. Called in a mobile tech to try to make the repair but no one had parts available to make it work and they would need to be ordered. Given that we wouldn't be there that long, we decided to try to rely on the one AC in the bedroom and the ceiling fan in the living room. Not extremely comfortable but we made it work. Went a few more days into the trip and we parked at a site in Buffalo, NY. We had the awning out when a bit of rain came up. Before we could get the awning rolled in, the awning which is "designed to adjust to pour off the rain from the awning" gave way on one of the arms and we were unable to roll in the awning at all. We had to call out another mobile tech who literally had to cut the awning arms off on the right side of the awning so that we could then remove the awning. Without this, we would have been stuck at the campsite and actually were for a few additional days while we waited for the mobile tech to see if he could find the parts to repair instead of remove. So then, we had the cabinetry/ceiling in the kitchen from where it fell and the 25 foot +/- awning from the outside running the length of the camper from the bedroom to the kitchen. We are so utterly disappointed with this camper and certainly think that it wasn't worth the $70,000 we paid for it or even anywhere close to that. The finishes looked good but they sure aren't built very well!!! Would go back to a Cedar Creek any day of the week.
wsowife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It is disappointing the trouble you went through. But is seems that's what the RV industry is like and the demand is still high. Seems this is your first post and you advertise for Cedar Creek, I wonder why didn't you went with them instead of Jayco?
Even on their forum it is not all Love and Joy. So I don't know what to think about your post. I haven't seen or heard of an whole section of 8 ft. cabinets coming down. It is possible when driving on a pothole road about 80 miles an hour. So show your pictures I'm sure you made them to cover yourself.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #3

I am also very curious to see pictures.
Thanks!
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #4

Don't know where you are, but I'd contact Jayco and see about taking that Pinnacle back to the factory. This is the first I've heard of cabinets and/or ceiling falling down! The Jayco factory in Middlebury should check it out and repair it.

The awning arms bending from water in the awning is not so unusual. Some of us dip the awing so water won't accumulate even when it is just drizzling rain.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #5

Straight down I-95 at 60 miles per hour and no potholes. Called Jatco and they were apologetic but didnt seem surprised. Said they would take care of it and the ac but the issue is that it happened to begin with. I wasnt advertising for Cedar Creek at all. Just didn't have any problems with it during our ownership....we lost that camper to Hurricane Matthew when it was consumed by flood waters after 18 months of ownership. We would have gone right back with a Cedar Creek had they offered the floorplan and had we been able to find a dealer close by us again. Perhaps my post is written too soon after a long weekend of nothing but problems with my high end camper. Perhaps I might have expected these kinds of issues with one that only cost me $30k versus the $70k we spent. Photos will follow once I have my husband send them to me
Old 08-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #6

Thank you for reacting on our cautious responses. Hopeful Jayco will fill your request quickly and courteous under warranty. And welcome to JOF.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Thank you for reacting on our cautious responses. Hopeful Jayco will fill your request quickly and courteous under warranty. And welcome to JOF.
X-2.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
X-3

I am a member of several forums from gun owners to outdoorsmen. Have been a member of one for just over 16 years. Joined a couple RV forums a few years ago while I researched RV's and this forum recently as we are buying a Jayco...….as a result have seen a broad spectrum of posts and I want to thank you for keeping your posts civil and informative, though some of the responses may not have been.

We check our Jayco out tomorrow. I have set aside an entire day to check every aspect. I am hoping to see you treated well by Jayco, it could be reassuring.
2PawsRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #9

I'll be perfectly honest........I am a neophyte when it comes to RV's. BUT I'm smart enough to realize there are many things I don't know. When it finally comes the day my Wife retires we will buy our 1st RV.
I am not physically able to climb on a roof to check it and I know this is something that has to be done.
We are leaning towards a Class C with auto level. The Class C will be much easier for me to set camp with my physical limitations. Plus the ability to just pull in a lot or a Rest Area and be able to get up and move without having to climb out of a truck and into a TT is awesome.
Guess I rambled didn't I?
Point being with limited knowledge and physical ability PLUS the fact that it will use a good size portion of our retirement funds to buy a RV I am going to hire a certified inspector to do the PDI. I would also be tempted to hire a inspection a couple of weeks before the warranty runs out in case we have missed a problem.
I wonder if any others have hired a Inspection upon delivery? Just doesn't sound like too bad of idea if you don't really know or understand what to try or look for.
Thanks for your patience and help along the way...........I'm still learning
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #10

RetiredLEO: it is not what you see, the problem is what is hidden. In RV's there are so many hidden spots what can cause trouble. You walk in any RV and the first impression is how nice they are built. But you don't see a wire rubbing on a metal cross-member from the roof or appliance or chassis. And what about the poor ground/neutral connection? I have done so many repairs on RV's and still shake my head how the RV manufactures get away with the work and engineering they do. It is not only the manufactures who assemble but also the component manufacturing. Yes many customers have good luck and you will not hear their voice on forums, but in-depended honest repair shops will tell you how they love this RV industry because of the work it creates for them. As an RV owner you must have deep pockets if you are a none DIYer. And as a DIYer you have to maintain your unit to have it last or at least keep up the value. A truck doesn't depreciate as much as an RV does. The rule of thumb is for any vehicle, RV etc.; maintain it and keep it as long as possible then the cost of owning will be cheaper.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #11
TLG

Although I dont post much, I read the forum every day.
We ve had our 2016 pinnacle for just over 3 years. This is our 8th camper in the last 20 years, including 3rd jayco. With experience and issues with most of the major brands, I can say without hesitation this one has had more issues than all the others put together. Havent got on here and complained about it, but its been a real pain in the backside. Some issues with build quality and some with factory/dealer support. And being a regular reader here, most of the issues are well documented. Recent health issues have put me in a situation where Ive just about given up dealing with them. The pinnacle is a nice unit when everything works, but we havent had the luxury of experiencing that.
TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #12

OldManAZ....wanted to comment on the awning thing. Like you, in the two previous campers we've owned, we have always previously dipped our awning to allow for the water to drain off. We were told at the time of sale and had also seen for ourselves with the Pinnacle that the scissors would auto adjust themselves to allow for drainage of the awning water when it became heavy. Not sure what happened this time.....just suddenly mangled itself to the point of no return.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:57 PM   #13

I read on this site that, unfortunately, some folks had the same experience that you did. I decided that rather than risk it, I'd always dip the awning to one side. In addition, I always wanted to know where water from the awning was going and not leave it to chance whether or not the awning would dump the water on me.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #14

Somewhat of an update

You may recall that we had dropped our new Pinnacle off at the dealership at the dealership to repair many of the problems we experienced while on our trip. The air conditioning apparently required re-wiring in the circuitry to repair it. The awning issue that forced us to remain at a campground until someone could come to cut it off turned out to be faulty as well. The fallen cabinetry above the sofa below the euro bed revealed a host of "structural" problems that the dealer was not comfortable covering back up with a simple re-install of the cabinetry to they are working with Jayco on trying to get those repaired. It is our understanding that there are many large shipments of parts and supplies coming in over the next few weeks and they'll call us when all has been repaired. On the one hand, I'm thankful that the dealer "wasn't comfortable with the issues they saw" but on the other hand, I'm really upset that there are so many issues with such a new camper. This is supposed to be a top of the line camper but it's not really feeling that way. P.s....for those who wanted photos. I seemed to have lost those on my phone and the dealer is 4 hours away. Would loved to have shared them with you.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #15
TLG

As I mentioned, health issues have prevented us from using it this summer. We spent 3 months last winter in fla in it and discovered even more issues. The metal flashing raising under the rubber roif edges is well documented on this forum. Since our warrany would be expired when we returned in April, i called and sent photos to factory. I was assured it would be addressed when we returned. It was, normal wear and tear , denied. Ive read about numerous other owners with same issue repaired. Im not talking minor issues I can address myself, major issues. Had to pay 3k for new brakes because dealer just couldnt fix them. The list could go on for hours.
TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #16

Wow, that's bad. I'm glad they are getting it worked out for you though.

FWIW, the awning is a 3rd party component. I saw nearly the exact same thing happen to the new owner of a Surveyor last year. The mobile RV service had to cut the arm also.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #17

It's one thing to have subpar workmanship that causes an issue. It's another thing when a design flaw causes the issues. I'd rather not have either but given the choice I'd rather have subpar workmanship that can be fixed by redoing the job as it was intended to be done versus having to redesign something to make it work or structurally sound.

So far we have been fortunate with our trailer. After one full season, having spent hours driving on some terrible roads and weathering days of heavy wind and rain there has only been one minor "structural" issue (section of interior window frame detached) and no water intrusion. All the equipment (microwave, frig, water heater, heat, A/C, slide, awning, etc.) have worked flawlessly.

That said when you spend significant dollars on an RV you shouldn't have to feel "luck" when everything works. I get aggravated when I hear about the aggravation the OP has had to endure with a new, higher end RV. I admire their patience in dealing with this situation, hope Jayco will bend over backwards to make things right for them and maybe restore a little faith that Jayco values their reputation when it comes to quality.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pinnacle 5th wheel