Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2021, 08:57 AM   #1

Stress Crack out of warranty

So,
I’m the proud owner of a new to me 2018 Pinnacle 38FLWS... Bought this a few weeks ago and it looks like the previous owners either never used it or maybe once.. still had several stickers, no scratches doors or drawers, very very clean. So my wife and I drove it home about 600 miles and we developed stress cracks at both front slides. I’m positive they weren’t there when we bought it, “as is” from a broker in Phoenix. So after talking with Jayco they aren’t going to cover because it’s out of warranty. I talked with service company they recommended and they want 17k to fix. I then wrote Jayco back and they still said that it’s out of warranty but that it’s not a structural problem but a cosmetic one and that I could drill a hole at the end of the crack and probably be fine?
Anyone else had to do this? Did it work? I know that it’s more than cosmetic because it wouldn’t have cracked if it was supported better! But is it enough of a problem to spend 17k or is it going to eventually leave me stranded somewhere and my trailer worthless?
Attached Thumbnails
5760E37D-7A17-4716-86A3-43FFFCD356A4.jpg   299D7086-0893-46B3-B509-51B1B45E775A.jpg  
Builder5840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Team

Here you go.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tup-63985.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It are twisting boxes bouncing on the road! And yes drilling a hole will most likely stop the crack from going further. A decorative patch can cover it up e.g. reflective tape or other design. Hard-wall or siding each have their own pros and cons. a Chassis has to have also flexibility so there's not always a perfect solution, special if we are concerned about weight reduction.
Maybe RVers with similar problems can explain of their costly repair did hold up or did re-occur.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #4

Would switching out the pin Box help? I developed one stress crack when I had the Reese Revaluation Hitch Pin. Box so I switched it out with the MorRyde Orbital Hitch Pin Box this fall. It supposed to reduce chucking. I find it so far to be a more comfortable ride and it allows me to back up the rig a lot easier. Only time will tell.

BTW I have a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS and my tow vehicle is 2018 Chevy Silverado HD 3500 Duramax LTZ standard bed.

Happy traveling.

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #5

It’s just the law of physics at work. Put the expansion cut on both sides just under the slide and you should be fine. I have a 2015 38 flsa and I have it on both sides. I’m running a Moryde and a Hensley air ride hitch and it still happened. Every manufacturer gets it. It’s not unique to Jayco. There’s a big thread on the issues in this forum.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:25 PM   #6
Site Team

The Jayco 2 year warranty only applies to the original owner.

It's not transferrable.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:28 PM   #7

Thanks for the info everyone, I decided to make my own relief cuts and see how it goes as I just can’t see spending 17k or anywhere close to that for what they want to do. I have a trailer saver hitch and I love it. When you hit a bump you can see the trailer sway instead of jarring like some hitches do. Anyway I’m gonna include pictures of what I did, I’m hoping that this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
5C61AE34-44FA-4CB8-9ADB-16A51A01B439.jpg   0B15263E-D306-4D80-9BCD-BF399B590E32.jpg   44F0A36E-9B0F-4FD5-89BF-C9F30B6CA244.jpg   9ECFD5B5-3304-46B7-A235-EB819E30230A.jpg   E206945B-91DA-4115-9E9A-1ED3EA5CB96F.jpg  

Builder5840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder5840 View Post
Thanks for the info everyone, I decided to make my own relief cuts and see how it goes as I just can’t see spending 17k or anywhere close to that for what they want to do. I have a trailer saver hitch and I love it. When you hit a bump you can see the trailer sway instead of jarring like some hitches do. Anyway I’m gonna include pictures of what I did, I’m hoping that this helps.
Damit man, that's a pain--I have a list of issues out of warranty that I have been working on myself since Aug of last yr, almost done, when I get to a point of getting another one, it most likely will not be a Jayco, if you want to see what i have done, just look me up on posting here and you will see. Good luck
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #9

In our 2007 Cameo we had a stress fracture similar to the Jayco's issue. The dealership had already fixed it but it came back. Where we store our unit they are also a repair shop and fixed it for us. Think the total cost was like $800.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:52 AM   #10

We had our rig in for crack rehab back in July, done at Vogt RV in Ft. Worth. 1,700 miles and a few months later, a small crack reappeared at the same spot and I thought it was cosmetic. After all, I had seen all the structural work, the welding of both steel and aluminum work they had done before buttoning it up.

Now we are back at Vogt for a completely unrelated repair - our bedroom slides- and the crack now appears full blown like the San Andreas Fault. The last roads we have traveled were I-10 and I-20 from Deming, NM and the interstates were halfway decent. They are looking at it now and I am waiting for the phone call, but I really am done with it and will just ask them to stop-drill it.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:36 PM   #11

Did they put the stress relief/ expansion cut in the outside filon panel afterwards. If not than you’ll get what you got.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Did they put the stress relief/ expansion cut in the outside filon panel afterwards. If not than you’ll get what you got.

So we have our rig back. They stop-drilled the crack, added a shmear of epoxy and painted it to match. Like the zipper on my chest from open heart surgery, you can tell it's there but it doesn't look bad and will hold over time.

Rob Licklider, the new (since last summer) Service Manager at Vogt RV in Ft. Worth, explained that since they did the repair last July, they have seen other cases where there were incidents of fractures far deeper in the frame beyond areas that Jayco had initially told them to look and he felt that this explained why our crack reappeared.

Rob has come to Vogt RV from another dealer that was predominately Forrest River, and he dealt with a lot of stress cracks there (as well as with other brands). His feeling was, when you take a hugely stressed RV wall, right at the point where it transitions to the front cap and hitch, then put a bedroom-sized hole in it and the leave just 6" of frame to hold it at that corner, you are going to have problems, no matter what brand. With Forrest River, his crew pioneered the addition of expansion joints that are now standard on other brands.

When we finish building our house in Las Cruces this summer, we will drive our rig 600 miles back to Ft Worth and leave it with them. Rob will peel back the entire frame in that area, correct the frame deficiencies and then put in an expansion joint. Screw Jayco and their insolent hubris.
-Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:09 PM   #13

“Pioneered the installation of the expansion joint”
It’s not nuclear science, just simple physics. Takes 20 min to do a couple of cuts and cover it with a piece of trim. Problem solved, because no matter how much you beef up the structure inside - it will always flex and return to its original shape. Just like a leaf spring.