Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #1

Tag and Registration Fee Question

Perhaps someone here can help me out with an answer before I sit on the phone with the state for a few hours on hold. I bought my fifth wheel last month, and due to some unforeseen circumstances, I was unable to register it in Florida and get a license tag until today. The county office charged me $196.32 for the tag. If that is correct, fine, but when I go on the Florida DHSMV website it says $27 for a 5th wheel, plus some miscellaneous fees. I think they are charging me based on the weight (12800) but I believe that is incorrect - does anybody here in Florida know?
MartandMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #2

Well I'm not from Florida so I'm not sure it's the same as it is here in Alabama. If you purchased the RV used from a private individual then they are most likely charging you sales tax. Here we are taxed each year based on a percentage of the apprised value of the RV. That value is decreased each year by some percentage that only the DMV knowns.
georam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:54 AM   #3

No this is all separate from sales tax, title fees, and anything else. I'm only talking about registration and tag. I called a Jayco dealer this am and according to the lady in their office who handles this kind of stuff, I was overcharged about $160 so I am heading back downtown to the tax collector's office. Fourth trip.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartandMillie View Post
No this is all separate from sales tax, title fees, and anything else. I'm only talking about registration and tag. I called a Jayco dealer this am and according to the lady in their office who handles this kind of stuff, I was overcharged about $160 so I am heading back downtown to the tax collector's office. Fourth trip.
If you bought it out of State there is an additional $85 fee to get a FL title plus a $20 late fee if past 30 days.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
Site Team

In SC the DMV collects the personal Property tax along with the registration fees. Florida is probably different.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:25 PM   #6

No had nothing to do with sales tax or title fees, I paid all that already. As I suspected they were just doing the registration wrong and charging me like it was a semi trailer or something. It plainly says in the Florida DHSMV handbook that RV's are charged by length (under 35' or over). Now they have to process a $130 refund for me, and the supervisor I spoke to said it was a good thing I caught it or I would have gotten overcharged every year. I wonder how many people are being overcharged?
Old 05-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #7
Site Team

Watching it closely is what you did and it payed off.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
In SC the DMV collects the personal Property tax along with the registration fees. Florida is probably different.
Yep no PPT or income tax.