Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2021, 12:29 PM   #1

Tire upgrade

Hi I just joined the forum so I appologize if this is not in the correct area. I bought a brand new Ram 3500 with the Cummins and a new to us Eagle 375BHFS. I had a gas Chevy and lightweight fifth wheel before our current setup. Not sure if it is the crazy torque of the truck, size of the fifth wheel or junk stock tires on my truck. I only have 12,000 miles on it and tires are almost shot. I wont make it to next winter. Im looking for suggestions for good tires in NY snow and something that will hold up to the wear better for towing. Thanks in advance!!
JReome86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #2

12k miles? Did you keep them rotated and balanced? I got 30k on my original Firestone Transforce HT's on my 2018 Ram 3500 CC LB 4wd SRW.

Rear tires will definitely wear a lot faster when towing heavy trailers. Gotta keep them rotated.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:34 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from 8 miles down the road! It's well known that the original equipment tires aren't always the best, and don't last as long as good replacements. Personally, I do research on the TireRack.com website for tire brands and models, checking the reviews, and taking some of them with a grain of salt. Enter your truck info, and it'll give a lot of choices to look at.

Then I'll buy local here in Newark at the Tire Rack (no affiliation to the website) on East Union St. Matt and Jarod are great to deal with. I've been doing business with them for almost 40 years.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:38 PM   #4

I run Goodyear Wranglers on my 3500HD pulling a Jayco 36FBTS 16,500lbs. No issues just got a new set, found a slit in a sidewall and wasn't comfortable with it. They would have been for another 5k or so but again wasn't comfortable.

Having said all that i like the Goodyears
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #5

my 2006 chevy CC diesel used to go through tires about every 25000 miles when rotated every 5000 miles or so. stock bf goodrich lasted 30000, firestone or general were the 25000. I never waited till they were shot to change because of pulling a 5th wheel around. dealer used to sell my tires used to another person once he changed mine.
nynethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #6

I have a 2017 Ram 3500 DRW - it came with Nexen tires - i was concerned at first but with faithful tire rotations, they lasted about 62K - even then, tire depth was decent. I had a band break on one of the front tires. I replaced all 6 with Michelin - very happy with the purchase
Summitstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitstev View Post
I have a 2017 Ram 3500 DRW - it came with Nexen tires - i was concerned at first but with faithful tire rotations, they lasted about 62K - even then, tire depth was decent. I had a band break on one of the front tires. I replaced all 6 with Michelin - very happy with the purchase
Wow! I can't believe you got 62k miles out of those Nexen's! I just replaced mine last year on my '16 at 27.5k miles. Tread was gone and I had a band separate on 1 of my rears while towing the 5er last summer. I replace all mine with the Michelin Agilis Crossclimates. They've been great so far, but I've only put about 1k miles on them so far.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Welcome to the Forum from 8 miles down the road! It's well known that the original equipment tires aren't always the best, and don't last as long as good replacements. Personally, I do research on the TireRack.com website for tire brands and models, checking the reviews, and taking some of them with a grain of salt. Enter your truck info, and it'll give a lot of choices to look at.

Then I'll buy local here in Newark at the Tire Rack (no affiliation to the website) on East Union St. Matt and Jarod are great to deal with. I've been doing business with them for almost 40 years.
Hi neighbor! Yes we go to Tire Rack in Newark for all our tires and such, he is a great guy. I'll check out reviews on tirerack.com thanks.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
12k miles? Did you keep them rotated and balanced? I got 30k on my original Firestone Transforce HT's on my 2018 Ram 3500 CC LB 4wd SRW.

Rear tires will definitely wear a lot faster when towing heavy trailers. Gotta keep them rotated.

Earl
Yup rotated and balanced every 3000-5000 miles. Might be able to squeeze out another 6-8000 miles if I'm lucky.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:54 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReome86 View Post
Hi neighbor! Yes we go to Tire Rack in Newark for all our tires and such, he is a great guy. I'll check out reviews on tirerack.com thanks.
Great to hear, and you're very welcome. We'll be seeing them in the spring for new sneakers for the DW's car. We had them get new tires for the TT last spring.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires for towing