Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
rkymntsno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Schertz
Posts: 818
Toilet drop ins in between trips

Wondering if we should continue to drop in a toilet pod at the end of a trip? In the summer we go about a week each month. When emptying black tank I'll drop a drop in and add some water to prevent smells. Do most of you do this or once cleaned out you leave it be?
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Woodworker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 4,082
When I get back I either do the GEO method or the 1 cup of Dawn/1 cup of water softener an leave it alone. I usually won't put a drop in until just before we leave.
__________________
Tight Lines and accurate shots
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
JimD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Inland Empire, California
Posts: 1,150
For the last 40 years, which consisted of 2 campers and my current Greyhawk, I never have added anything to the tank after emptying. When I get back from a trip I am able to flush the tanks at home (thankfully) which I do usually within a week. I do spend a bit of time flushing the black tank until it runs clean.

Never have had any sort of odor issue in all these years. I just add the chemical when I get to the site before we start using the toilet.
__________________
Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W
solar & many other mods
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Wondering if we should continue to drop in a toilet pod at the end of a trip? In the summer we go about a week each month. When emptying black tank I'll drop a drop in and add some water to prevent smells. Do most of you do this or once cleaned out you leave it be?
Enough water in the tanks to cover the bottom with an inch or two and then Happy Camper to work on the left over. Our season is pretty much year around so it only sits a few months at the most. If you did a good clean prior to parking it there won't be much but Happy Camper will work on the rest and odor.
__________________
2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29MVP
2019 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
2011 Cyclone 3010 Toy Hauler- Sold
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Lake Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Port Huron, Mi
Posts: 1,360
If I know mine is gonna sit for 2 weeks or more, after I'm done dumping/flushing I'll pour in some Camco tank treatment. It's either green or blue, I cant remember, but it does make me remember I need to get some more because i used the last of it a few weeks ago.
__________________
2017 North Point 375BHFS
2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Dually Dmax 4x4
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Enough water in the tanks to cover the bottom with an inch or two and then Happy Camper to work on the left over. Our season is pretty much year around so it only sits a few months at the most. If you did a good clean prior to parking it there won't be much but Happy Camper will work on the rest and odor.
X2
__________________
2017 JayFlight 21QB
2013 Ford F150 SCrew V8

Favorite Book On The Road
Currently Reading Picture of Dorian Gray
Author of Mack Thomas: The Total Beat
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ocean County
Posts: 2,807
I think, if you're going to drop something in the tank after flushes for the odor, it would take more than a little bit of water to make it effective. A gallon or two probably won't even cover the bottom of the tank, because the first gallon or two will lay in the pipe going to the dump valve.

Also, depending on how level the rig sits in storage will depend on how much water/cleaner covers the bottom. If the rig is leaning towards the dump valve, not much actually sits on the bottom of the tank. I think you need at least 5 - 10 gallons of water to cover all situations.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
rkymntsno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Schertz
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Enough water in the tanks to cover the bottom with an inch or two and then Happy Camper to work on the left over. Our season is pretty much year around so it only sits a few months at the most. If you did a good clean prior to parking it there won't be much but Happy Camper will work on the rest and odor.
I have a 50 gallon black tank so I have no idea how much would fill the bottom an inch or so. This is my second rv in three years and it's worked for me even though there are differing opinions on the matter but that's why I asked. Thanks for the responses. I agree, if I only put a gallon or two in the black tank with the pod, hell that could even dry up in this Texas heat. But not putting anything in there I don't feel comfortable with. Still needed to ask about the issue.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 CC Longhorn LB SRW w/timbrens
2019 Jayco Eagle 355MBQS
Pullrite 2600 Superlite
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,481
It is extremely rare I use a drop in. After dumping I add about 4-5 gallons of water back in to the tank. I do add a splash of Pinesol, primarily I use it as a none sudsing soap. Once in a while I will add some Liquid Fabric soften. That is it. Only time I have ever had odor issues is in the spring about a week or two after I put water back in the tank after dewinterizing.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
rkymntsno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Schertz
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
It is extremely rare I use a drop in. After dumping I add about 4-5 gallons of water back in to the tank. I do add a splash of Pinesol, primarily I use it as a none sudsing soap. Once in a while I will add some Liquid Fabric soften. That is it. Only time I have ever had odor issues is in the spring about a week or two after I put water back in the tank after dewinterizing.
In my original post, I wasn't implying that I had odor issues with the tank. I am just saying that's why I put in a pod to prevent it from happening. Maybe it's not necessary. I can always try just adding a few gallons of water. I have forgotten to add a pod but added water and everything was still fine.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 CC Longhorn LB SRW w/timbrens
2019 Jayco Eagle 355MBQS
Pullrite 2600 Superlite
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #11
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
I have a 50 gallon black tank so I have no idea how much would fill the bottom an inch or so. This is my second rv in three years and it's worked for me even though there are differing opinions on the matter but that's why I asked. Thanks for the responses. I agree, if I only put a gallon or two in the black tank with the pod, hell that could even dry up in this Texas heat. But not putting anything in there I don't feel comfortable with. Still needed to ask about the issue.
Yeah, it would be difficult but generally I run 10-15 into a 40 gal. The inch or two was a WAG and I should have mentioned gals. This is my 4 RV and I have used that with all but I have found the best method is to put that much in with some Dawn. Let it slosh to the next location and dump. Then add the "whatever" gals for storage along with something like Happy Camper to work in the tank while it is sitting.

I live in Phoenix. I don't think you have to worry about it drying up in an enclosed tank. Mine never has.
__________________
2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29MVP
2019 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
2011 Cyclone 3010 Toy Hauler- Sold
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Mopar_Earl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Saint Thomas, PA
Posts: 2,030
I flush the hell out of mine then put 12 gallons in and a treatment. Then when we camp next, I put a second treatment in. You always want water in the tank or antifreeze in winter storage. Keeps everything moist and the seals wet. Never want dry tanks.

We use happy campers now. Tried all kinds of stuff prior.


Earl
__________________
2017 Eagle 293RKDS, factory ordered, lots of mods and upgrades. More than I can list.
2018 Ram 3500 crew cab long bed SRW diesel 6spd Aisin 4wd Tradesman.
B&W Ram puck 5th wheel
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.