Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2021, 07:49 AM   #1

Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile

Planning on getting a sim card for the Winegard 360. Any opinions on the best network to use?
Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:57 AM   #2

Whichever you are comfortable with an has good pricing. We went with Verizon as our phones are already with them. $20 a month for their entry plan of 15 gig a month. $40 for the 50 gig plan. Be sure to have the little Winegard booklet with you that has the user and password info on the front, it also has a number that Verizon ( and the others) recognize to get you the right SIM card. It pulled up on their screen that it was a Winegard unit and that told the assistant what card to use instead of one for a phone or tablet.
Randyman69357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #3

Here in Calif. Verizon has the best coverage in the Sierras.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:44 AM   #4

I know you didn't include Verizon as one of your options but i have to recommend them hands down anyway. I've been all over the country with two phones, mine is Verizon, work is AT&T. Verizon has a much larger network reaching areas better suited for camping. Seems AT&T only concentrates on larger populated areas. My brother has T-Mobile and he does better away from the cities than AT&T.. If you are dead set between T-Mobile and AT&T, I'd go with T-Mobile if you want connectivity while camping.. AT&T will have a bit faster network but you'll have to be in within larger cities to benefit.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #5
CAG

I think you will find this oft discussed here (search feature will help) and a regional more than a vendor issue. One is good in some places and others in other.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #6

Check out Visible...we switched to that for our Hot Spots and hasn't failed us yet were T-Mobile did...I use the WeBoost device and works well with our Visible devices where our T-Mobile cell phones barely get a signal... Been through CA, NV, NM, UT, WY, MT, SD, NE, TX and so far so good...we stream a lot and has not throttled us yet where our AT&T hot spot would be done after a week...same with T-Mobile...but don't see much degradation from the Visible device...1 TV (ROKU/FIRESTICK) only per Visible but we have been able to connect our cell phones to the Visible hot spot even when the TV is connected....
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperace View Post
Check out Visible...we switched to that for our Hot Spots and hasn't failed us yet were T-Mobile did...I use the WeBoost device and works well with our Visible devices where our T-Mobile cell phones barely get a signal... Been through CA, NV, NM, UT, WY, MT, SD, NE, TX and so far so good...we stream a lot and has not throttled us yet where our AT&T hot spot would be done after a week...same with T-Mobile...but don't see much degradation from the Visible device...1 TV (ROKU/FIRESTICK) only per Visible but we have been able to connect our cell phones to the Visible hot spot even when the TV is connected....
What is Visible? never heard of it
Old 10-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
One is good in some places and others in other.

Bingo.
Out in Colorado, Wyoming and Utah -- in general ATT has more coverage. T-Mobile is a distant third.

But, here at our >>house<< T-Mobile has good signal strength while ATT and VZ is very poor.

It's just going to depend on where you are and how badly you need coverage,
Old 10-18-2021, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
What is Visible? never heard of it

Visible, like Mint, is an MVNO.
Meaning they don't have their own cell towers, they ride on someone else's.

Cricket for example, runs on the ATT network.

Sometimes an MVNO is great.
Cheaper, same coverage.

Other times, my kid's Cricket phones will NOT connect while my ATT phone, sitting besides it, does.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post

Cheaper, same coverage.

Other times, my kid's Cricket phones will NOT connect while my ATT phone, sitting besides it, does.
Lol, learn something new every day, thanks
Old 10-18-2021, 05:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post

Cheaper, same coverage.

It is cheaper because they are piggy-backing off a primary carrier network like ATT. However, an MVNO customer typically will take a backseat to the primary carrier’s customers, meaning you can get throttled back or performance slowed. If speed and performance aren’t critical, it can be a good deal.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:33 PM   #12

I have traveled the U.S. for years for business and pleasure. Verizion has been the only vendor that has consistent service in both urban and rural areas. If they don't have service, you can use roaming. If there was cell coverage I was always able to use the phone.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I think you will find this oft discussed here (search feature will help) and a regional more than a vendor issue. One is good in some places and others in other.
I'm with CAG on this one. "Regional" seems to make the most difference.

We have been using a Verizon hot-spot for years with good success. The new Greyhawk is equipped with a Winegard antenna so we put a Verizon SIM card in it. We get better reception through the Winegard (usually full) than we do the hot-spot at the same location. The hot-spot is an Orbic Speed - replaces the elipsys Jetpack.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:25 AM   #14

It's going to be an area by area thing. I love T Mobile, I've received excellent customer service for twenty years. But, their coverage in the Rockies and Maine has been horrible to the point of us considering a vacation phone on a different network and take the best of both coverages.

My biggest complaint are the areas that TMo claims they have coverage but does within those areas there isn't any coverage. Carrier rules do not allow for roaming in those situations. My guess is it keeps each other's coverage map honest. Campers near us in Michigan had a similar issue with Verizon. Verizon claimed coverage but they had to drive out onto a high spot to actually connect. My TMo was fine.

As they say YMMV.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #15

I’m trying out the 100gb offer from T-MOBILE for $50 a month. Worked great in South and North Carolina for streaming on HD TV.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #16

We have Spectrum for our phones. Spectrum uses the Verizon towers and we have yet to have a problem anywhere that we have traveled including the deep south, Northeast, Northwest including the Dakota's and all the National parks. $90 for two phones unlimited calls, texts, and data. We use a Verizon jetpack for our WiFi if no WiFi is available wherever we stay and on the road. Spectrum simply swapped the Verizon SIM cards with the Spectrum SIM's.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:43 PM   #17

Verizon

I've been using Verizon for years it works in tunnels it works in lots of remote places I can watch YouTube TV without the enhancement of the new Wi-Fi right on my phone no data charges the only place it didn't work for streaming TV was a Great Sand Dunes National Monument but I can still make phone calls and texts
jmbeidlerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbeidlerjr View Post
I've been using Verizon for years it works in tunnels it works in lots of remote places I can watch YouTube TV without the enhancement of the new Wi-Fi right on my phone no data charges the only place it didn't work for streaming TV was a Great Sand Dunes National Monument but I can still make phone calls and texts
I had Verizon for years however saved close to $100 a month by switching to Spectrum which uses the Verizon towers. No brainer for us.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I have traveled the U.S. for years for business and pleasure. Verizion has been the only vendor that has consistent service in both urban and rural areas. If they don't have service, you can use roaming. If there was cell coverage I was always able to use the phone.
Roaming does not work on data, only voice. If you intend to use your phone to talk, roaming is helpful. If your are going to use your phone more for data, roaming will not help you
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
I had Verizon for years however saved close to $100 a month by switching to Spectrum which uses the Verizon towers. No brainer for us.
We did the same with Xfinity. Biggest mistake we ever made. They may use Verizon towers but they don’t have access to all of Verizon’s towers. After 4 months we switched back. Luckily Xfinity did not require a service contract at sign up.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote