Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Very Disappointed in Jayco Response

While on the roof of our brand new 2012 31.5 RLTS I noticed a few areas where there appears to be debris under the rubber membrane poking up, looks like there is a screw poking up. I don't know how long it will be but I'm sure given enough time and use and exposure to the sun that this will eventually come through the rubber.

I just received a call back from Jayco warranty that SHOCKED me. The guy said that this is normal and that Jayco would likely do NOTHING about it. He said it is impossible to remove all the debris under a rubber membrane during construction and that since they have been using this material he has NEVER heard of anything coming through the rubber from underneath. He said the dealer can send pictures but that Jayco would most likely not do anything. Is this the fine Amish craftmanship I have heard so much about? When asked what I was supposed to do if in 3 years the material wore a hole in the rubber and I was out of my 2 year Jayco warranty? His reply was that he would make a note of my call and that was all he could do.

The main reason we bought Jayco was because of their reputation for quality construction, this lack of concern for an obvious lapse in quality control is very disappointing to me. I am now questioning my decision to buy Jayco. I really expected better from them.

Steve

Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

Time to contact www.bbb.org

2015 Chevy Silverrado 2500
14,000#/1400 Equal-i-zer 4-way sway bars
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #3

I would think that with pictures and a letter from your dealer with what he thinks the problem is might help with the problem. If it is a screw or piece of construction debri you will probably have a problem down the road.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donr827 View Post
I would think that with pictures and a letter from your dealer with what he thinks the problem is might help with the problem. If it is a screw or piece of construction debri you will probably have a problem down the road.
Don
I have an appointment at the dealership this coming Wednesday. I just have to take a wait and see on this one I guess.

Never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Steve
Old 02-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #5

Our experience has been, if you do have a problem later and the issue has been documented by your dealer and sent to JAYCO, they will cover it if and when it happens.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Our experience has been, if you do have a problem later and the issue has been documented by your dealer and sent to JAYCO, they will cover it if and when it happens.
Thank you Grumpy, this is good to know and would take some of the anxiety away.

Steve
Old 02-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #7

Photograph and document document document docu-----

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #8

From my experience, I'm on my third camper, this is a common problem, and the response you got from Jayco is the same as you would get from most other manufacturers. I had similar issues with both Trail Lite and Holiday Rambler, got the same response you did and, as it turned out, it was a non issue, as a problem never materialized. As luck would have it, my new Jayco does not have this issue, just lucky, I guess, but I wouldn't worry about it.

2012 321RLTS Eagle
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #9

Ironic...I had the exact same thing 4 years ago when I bought a KZ Spree. I took it back to my dealer who contacted Spree. KZ responded back and asked that the dealer repair by cutting the roof membrane at the problem then patching with Eternabond tape. The item found underneath the membrane was a broken torx bit. I never had a problem. That Eternabond tape was incredible. I checked it often but that stuff beacme part of the roof. The fix was simple and one that I could have easily done myself but wanted them to handle it. Maybe you can suggest this to your dealer.

My X23J just arrived...I hope I dont have any issues.
InspiredBMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBMX View Post
snip...... That Eternabond tape was incredible. I checked it often but that stuff beacme part of the roof..... snip
I keep a roll of Eternabond in my TT for those "just in case moments", and this summer I plan to run some Eternabond along the front & rear cap roof seams..... great product.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote