Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #1

What's with orange and mice?

Haven't had much problem with mice. But had a nest this year. Got into the front compartments. As far as the rv, looks like they only chewed one orange ( the only orange one up front) jayco wire and one piece of 12" x 15" insulation. I had two orange extension cords 50' and 100' cord they tore to pieces. Funny they didn't touch all the black cords I also had in there. Had mothballs and Irish spring soap as a deterent. Maybe they see orange as cheese or something but I'll be buying something different to replace them.
Attached Thumbnails
20200622_132441.jpg   20200622_131300.jpg   20200622_133310.jpg  

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #2

Humm, Oranges have a good taste!

I have never had good luck with any of the urban legions on how to keep mice way.

I sealed every hole I could find when we bought our TT. So far no mice. Every winter I do place a number of I use sticky traps and Cab Fresh around the TT, just in case.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #3

I would go with blocking every opening with a combination of stainless steel wool or similar and foam or good caulk. Then go inside and look in every cabinet floor, opening, storage area, etc. and block every hole, no matter how small with metal and foam or caulk. Mice can eat through the foam or caulk but they will be stopped by the metal embedded in the foam. Don't forget to block both ways so if you miss one on the bottom the ones on the top will block them. Don't forget screens on the vents and power cord if you leave it plugged in.

I then add box type sticky traps inside baited with birdseed. Clean the stove and remove all food.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #4

Varmints

I've had much success with a string of LED lights on a timer. They have a sensor and go on at sunset. We are in a rural area near some fields and in the past was killing about 7-10 a week with traps. But since the light probably 1-3 in over 2 years Hope you have a solution
BigoldAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

They most likely chewed the orange wiring because of what the wire insulation is made from. This has been a nightmare for certain vehicle models. Stupid engineers figured it would be a good idea using plastic made from organic materials like soy.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a21933466/does-your-car-have-wiring-that-rodents-think-is-tasty/
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:21 PM   #6

Our trailer is next to our garage. We get mice in the garage, but in the 28 years we've parked trailers next to it, not one mouse. We have never used any mice deterrents. It's a gravel pad with no brush anywhere near the trailer. It's at least 12 inches to the grass on one side. I believe the mice stay away because to get to the trailer would leave them exposed to predators. They like to hide and move about in places with tall grass and brush.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #7

Also had 10 of the black plastic spinner traps in there. Never caught a one with those even using them at other places other than the rv. Was thinking about those sticky traps but will they work when you have freezing temps?

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #8

Well, I'm living in a 2018 Jayco 264 BHW Baja while I'm building an earth sheltered home. I've had no problems with mice in the year that I've been living in the trailer. Then the maker of the chai mix that I use switched from a hard plastic container to pouches. Within two days of storing those bags in the rear storage area under the bunk beds I had a mouse infestation. I ended up throwing about 1/3 of my food away and in two days I trapped 13 mice. They didn't get into the living area but followed the lines for my water supply under the tub and around the periphery into the cabinets under the sinks. What a nightmare! I've recently installed the sonic mouse devices and have been laying dryer sheets in the cabinets. No mice for a few days now. In the future all my food will be stored in plastic tubs. I'm going through the periphery of the TT and looking for how they might have gotten in. I do keep the power cable connected all the time so I'll have to block that hole. What a PITA!!!
Old 07-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #9

MERCMAN nothing will repel mice from getting in like blocking all possible entrances with metal wire, stainless steel wool, copper wool, foam and or silicone to keep them out. If you can see a hole or crack, poke in the metal and secure it in place with foam or caulk. They will eat through the caulk or foam if there is no metal.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
MERCMAN nothing will repel mice from getting in like blocking all possible entrances with metal wire, stainless steel wool, copper wool, foam and or silicone to keep them out. If you can see a hole or crack, poke in the metal and secure it in place with foam or caulk. They will eat through the caulk or foam if there is no metal.
Did that yesterday. I used just plain steel wool as that's what I had. Not sure if it was stainless or not.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman View Post
Did that yesterday. I used just plain steel wool as that's what I had. Not sure if it was stainless or not.

You have to look for stainless steel wool pads. I found them at Dollar Tree of all places. Regular, the kind that come with soap in a cardboard box will rust out if exposed to moisture. Recheck in a year or so or if the mice get in again.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #12

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
You have to look for stainless steel wool pads. I found them at Dollar Tree of all places. Regular, the kind that come with soap in a cardboard box will rust out if exposed to moisture. Recheck in a year or so or if the mice get in again.
Nope, not the Brillo type pads but I had a few bags of 0000 steel wool but didn't state 'stainless' anywhere on the package. Too late now, all sealed up!

Also, since I'm hooked up to shore power continuously I filled that area up with steel wool and duct taped over the opening.