Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2022, 06:24 AM   #1

When to De-Winterize

I am heading South. I am looking at the Temperatures Saturday the 6th and it will be in the 40’s during the day but in the upper 20’s at night. If I de-winterize and have water in the lines will they freeze when I am traveling. The 5 er will be inside will be in the upper 60’s from running furnace all night. I have no experience of how fast the under belly and basement will cool down. It will get a little warmer as we travel south. But again creating a wind chill as we travel no experience on temperature loss.

I know an option is run with furnace on but I don’t like traveling with propane on.
Toolguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:35 AM   #2

Depending on temps and the length of the drive, I'd say you'll be fine. It takes a bit of a hard freeze for period of time to really jeopardize the lines. Driving the unit also will help with freezing. Takes a lot to freeze water moving and sloshing in the lines. You may get some slush, but I think that would be about it. But I doubt it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:30 AM   #3

I’ve always wondered about the same, but never had freezing issues on our annual winter trip to Florida. First couple days of trip we always had the same conditions, freezing or above during the day and way below freezing at night.

I think the residual heat captured in the rig from overnight use makes it very difficult for freezing to occur so quickly during a single day of no heat in the coach while traveling. Remember that everything that is in the coach becomes a heat source, as all the materials that were warmed up also need to release their heat and cool down, including furniture, floors, walls, etc., so fully cooling down to freezing or below doesn’t happen quickly.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:49 AM   #4

Why not de- winterize when you get to where your going?
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:58 AM   #5

I will be on road for 4 days before arriving at my destination. So i would like to de=winterize on the way.
Toolguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:00 AM   #6

when in doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Why not de- winterize when you get to where your going?
X2. Carry a few gallons of fresh water that you can travel with. I have heard of others using rv antifreeze to flush the toilet with in very cold situations. Not a major inconvenience, and no worries.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote