Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2020, 07:52 AM   #1

Wife wants a fireplace

We have a 2019 Eagle HT 30.5MLOK and wife wants me to install a fireplace in it. Does anyone know if they come prewired for the fireplace from factory or I'm I going to have to pull power wire from breaker panel?
Old 12-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoMLOK View Post
We have a 2019 Eagle HT 30.5MLOK and wife wants me to install a fireplace in it. Does anyone know if they come prewired for the fireplace from factory or I'm I going to have to pull power wire from breaker panel?
Contact Jayco and ask them for the 110VAC electric diagrams and those should show you what is run to where. A lot is going to depend on if the fireplace was an option and if so what is in its place if one wasn't installed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Contact Jayco and ask them for the 110VAC electric diagrams and those should show you what is run to where. A lot is going to depend on if the fireplace was an option and if so what is in its place if one wasn't installed.

I contacted Jayco a couple months ago about a wiring diagram and they said since it's still under warranty I would have to contact dealership. I haven't reach out to them yet. Yes the fireplace was a option on my unit and it just storage with two door now. Just thought someone my have installed one and maybe know.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #4

We have an Eagle and the previous owner (a RV Tech) installed a fireplace beneath the TV. The only problem is that he tapped into the circuit for the kitchen next to it. Beware that if the fireplace, coffee maker, and toaster are all on at once, you might blow a breaker. Not that I was ever stupid enough to do that.
And by the way Jayco, did you have to put the breaker panel so low that I have to get down on my stomach with a flashlight, on a cold floor to reset the kitchen breaker?
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #5

The (RV Tech) should not have put the fireplace on a existing circuit. It should have its own circuit breaker.....then you would not have to lay on the floor to reset. I'm sure there is a financial reason they put it on the floor but I've never owned an RV that had it at a reasonable height.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3kirk View Post
The (RV Tech) should not have put the fireplace on a existing circuit. It should have its own circuit breaker.....then you would not have to lay on the floor to reset. I'm sure there is a financial reason they put it on the floor but I've never owned an RV that had it at a reasonable height.
Not sure about Jayco but Thor puts their fireplace on an existing circuit. My prior coach, a 2015 Challenger, had the fireplace on the same circuit as the main TV, DVD player and sound bar. The were also a couple other outlets on that circuit as well.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3kirk View Post
As I said, "problem". They were snowbirds and I imagine they just used the fireplace in the evening while watching TV. Probably figured they'd never use it while using the galley and took the lazy way out.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #8

Quote:
I contacted Jayco a couple months ago about a wiring diagram and they said since it's still under warranty I would have to contact dealership. I haven't reach out to them yet. Yes the fireplace was a option on my unit and it just storage with two door now. Just thought someone my have installed one and maybe know.
Contact them again. Some clerks are less willing to help then others. Typically I like to give them as little information as possible , don't tell them why you want the 120V schematic.

If they push back, tell them you need to wire in a medical device. That was my plan as I heard they did not like giving out the schematics. The clerk sent it with no questions asked.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
If they push back, tell them you need to wire in a medical device.
Perfect. When my daughter bought her first car, the intermittent wipers didn't work. The dealer didn't want to fix it because the slow and fast speeds did work. My wife said, something about it being a safety issue, and bang the wipers were fixed.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:19 PM   #10

Electric blanket is so much less complicated
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #11

IIRC correctly our PINNACLE had a separate breaker

If it was an option the wiring is probably already there. Only things missing would be the outlet and breaker.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #12

Email, Jayco with the the last 8 digits of the VIN, and tell them the drawings that you need. They are super helpful. Edited, last 8 digits of VIN.
16WhiteColly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #13

Curiosity got the best of me so I did some digging. Looked behind the panel that hid the wire coming into the space where the fireplace would be mounted. No extra wire to be found. So pulled the face off the breaker panel and no extra wire there either -also no breaker for the fireplace. But what I did find was the hot power wire for the converter was just laying against the hot side of the of the breaker marked utility. Hadn't been arcing and converter has been working but would have caused a problem later. So hook that up to the power converter breaker and checked to make sure all connections were tight. Guess I got lucky there finding that before it caused a problem.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Contact them again. Some clerks are less willing to help then others. Typically I like to give them as little information as possible , don't tell them why you want the 120V schematic.

If they push back, tell them you need to wire in a medical device. That was my plan as I heard they did not like giving out the schematics. The clerk sent it with no questions asked.
Sent a email yesterday request a diagram - needing to install medical device.
This is the response I received.

Good Morning,
Unfortunately, your unit is still under warranty until 07/24/2021, therefore I am not authorized to send you the wiring schematics. You may request these from your dealer if needed. Jayco does not recommend doing upgrades on the unit while under warranty, especially electrically because it can harm the integrity of your warranty and potentially void it.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Allison Manuel

Jayco Towable Customer Service

Phone: 800-283-8267 Fax: 866.709.9139

Email: Service@Jayco.com

903 S. Main St., Middlebury, IN 46540
Old 12-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #15

I did contact my dealer service dept and talked to there main guy over it. He told me just what I was finding. No they are not wired for the fireplace if not factory installed. He said some model is not to big of a deal to run the circuit and other impossible without tearing half the unit apart to run. So looking like I have a challenge ahead of me. What I've seen so far with mine I think I can get it ran but not going to be easy.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #16

Reading through the thread here, I have not seen any reference to whether you have a 30A or 50A service in your unit. If you have the 50A you will be much better prepared to add a fireplace. As you have already learned, the unit is not prewired with a dedicated circuit to the are where the fireplace would be installed.
It can be done, but you will have to add a circuit breaker and fish a Romex wire through the basement to the fireplace location, which is not all that much fun if yours is in a slide as most are.
If you have a 30A service, you will have to be careful about what you use while the fireplace is in heat mode.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Electric blanket is so much less complicated
Umm.

Electric blanket is not that interesting or calming to look at.

(I am laughing here imagining someone staring at an electric blanket for it's calming effect.)

Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #18

Update- yes 50 amp setup-no way of getting a wire from point a to b. But what I did discover was a breaker marked utility which I had no idea what that feed. Come to find out it feeds the 2 outlets on each side of the bed - a outlet that the TV plugs into - a outlet in a storage below the tv- right above the space for the fireplace and nothing else I could find. So guess where the fireplace is going to get power from. LOL Fireplace is on order should be here Monday. So sometime around the end of next week should have it installed. I will have to do a little cutting out to get it to fit.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Update- yes 50 amp setup-no way of getting a wire from point a to b. But what I did discover was a breaker marked utility which I had no idea what that feed. Come to find out it feeds the 2 outlets on each side of the bed - a outlet that the TV plugs into - a outlet in a storage below the tv- right above the space for the fireplace and nothing else I could find. So guess where the fireplace is going to get power from. LOL Fireplace is on order should be here Monday. So sometime around the end of next week should have it installed. I will have to do a little cutting out to get it to fit.
There you go! The outlet in the space below the TV would be where the factory installed fireplace would be plugged in. It sounds like you will be fine...that 50A makes all the difference!
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 01:35 PM   #20

My DW wanted one too. I told her that they were silly a waste of money. I reasoned with her that the money could be much better spent on something useful, like an $1100 radio for my new Honda Talon. I got it, and had money left over to buy an electric blanket that I use in my new Sleeping quarters on the living room floor.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote