Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #1

With all the problems - why do you buy an RV?

Never before have I owned any RV. We want to buy our first - possibly a new 336FBOK

I have read so much - so many problems across the board.. everything is junk etc. We like what we can see when we have looked at Jayco but from reading all the negative I can only assume it will 'fall apart' towing it home!

So my question is, why have many of you bought multiple products over the years - given all the frustration and 'nightmare'?

I'm handy - I don't mind maintenance and fully expect it but with all the negatives posted I am feeling so disappointed and reluctant to pull the trigger.

What are your thoughts? Are the complaints overblown? Is there NOBODY that is happy with their Fifth Wheel?

b1ghwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ghwx View Post
So my question is, why have many of you bought multiple products over the years - given all the frustration and 'nightmare'?
Because the majority don't have the "nightmares". I've had my share of warranty issues over 40 years, but they have been addressed and fixed quickly, your dealer is the key. JAYCO has never let me down when it comes to repairs. I even had our a/c go out while I was at FT. WILDERNESS and JAYCO authorized a Mobile Tech to replace it while I was there, we never had to move and it was done in 2 days.

90% of the time you only hear the bad on this or any other forum.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #3

Quote:

I'm handy - I don't mind maintenance and fully expect it but with all the negatives posted I am feeling so disappointed and reluctant to pull the trigger.

You hit the nail in the head. If you go into the purchase expecting you'll be repairing and adjusting things, since these units have so much in them, then when an issue pops up, you're expecting it, then all is good.

I believe some people think they spend $50K on a nice TT, and expect zero issues. When a issue pops up, this is where all the negativity comes from. RV's aren't quality, luxury cars, even if they cost the same. RV's are mass produced products, only designed for occasional use.

Quote:
Never before have I owned any RV. We want to buy our first - possibly a new 336FBOK
This is my first one too, but I went the MH route, not the TT route. I'm also very handy, and plan on fixing everything myself. I compare the MH to my previous boats. Holes in the water/land that you throw money in, and I'm fully prepared to tackle any issues, so what ever happens... happens...

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #4

“The squeaky wheel gets the grease”. For all the negative comments you read there are hundreds and hundreds of happy buyers. Buy smart, examine the RV top to bottom, don’t deal with a shady salesman who tells you anything to get you to buy. Assume the dealer and his service guys are certified morons until proven otherwise. Don’t buy one too big for your tow vehicle or above your ability to handle. Reading the forums makes you aware of what CAN happen so you know what to look out for on your own. Will you have problems, most likely, but the chances it’s another horror story are slim.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:

I have read so much - so many problems across the board.. everything is junk etc. We like what we can see when we have looked at Jayco but from reading all the negative I can only assume it will 'fall apart' towing it home!

What are your thoughts? Are the complaints overblown? Is there NOBODY that is happy with their Fifth Wheel?

The people with problems are the ones that post. People with few problems usually donít. Keep this in perspective.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #6

I bought a used 2010 in 2013 and to this day I’ve had “0” issues, just a tweak here & there & outside of mods everything is original.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
The people with problems are the ones that post. People with few problems usually donít. Keep this in perspective.
This is the correct answer.

Here are some stats from a business article regarding positive or negative experiences/reviews by customers:

...."Dissatisfied customers typically tell nine to 15 other people about their experience; some tell 20 or more (White House Office of Consumer Affairs).

A customer who has a positive experience, on the other hand, is unlikely to leave a good review. In my experience, only one in 10 happy customers leaves a good review."

https://www.inc.com/andrew-thomas/th...r-company.html

So, based on those numbers, everyone can see why the negative experiences get so much more "air time".

2019 Redhawk 24B

Old 07-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #8

snip..."What are your thoughts? Are the complaints overblown? Is there NOBODY that is happy with their Fifth Wheel?"

Folks come here for help, or advice on a problem that's come up. That's where the Forum comes in, featuring a wealth of knowledge from a whole lot of RV owners, that own many different years and models of Jayco, StarCraft, or Some Other Brand.

If they were all without issues from time to time, this Forum would be really boring, and the experts would have no one to bestow upon, the wealth of their knowledge.

So go out there, and buy your Jayco, and have fun like we all do.
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post

So go out there, and buy your Jayco, and have fun like we all do.
Wait... what???? We're suppose to be having fun??????

2019 Redhawk 24B

Old 07-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Wait... what???? We're suppose to be having fun??????
Now... didn't they tell you that at your PDI???

JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote