Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Camper bob, just a few things I need to mention here:

#5 sounds like my thinking
#6 if it’s good enough it “not”
#7 sounds like i marred your wife’s sister

Tunce
LOL!!

It's all in good fun. We both have the same idea about creating experiences and seeing as much as we can while we can. I just have higher standards for comfort and safety in some areas, and I'm not afraid to change something for the better...

In reality, she's good for me. If it were up to me, we'd probably have no money!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:12 PM   #42
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

Number 5 has been by far the biggest sticking point between DW and I in our RV journey. She believes that the manufacturer would not release an RV (or anything for that matter) if it was not configured optimally, with the best parts, and with the best engineering. I have to tell her nearly on a daily basis that they don't give two $H!ts about that, and they are only out to make the largest profit margin possible while limiting their liability as much as possible.
Actually, your top 5 list is spot on and I also believe number 5 is the biggie. But, unlike your situation, wifey doesn't disagree with me when I tell her I'm upgrading something. She knows the level of my mechanical and engineering ability, and if I tell her it needs to be done, I get ZERO pushback from her....... (until the credit card statement comes... )..

Ha, actually she just looks at the statement and says, "this belongs to you...." and doesn't say another word...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #43

Just to Echo What we’re Saying

We are coming up on 2 years full timing and towing with our 2017 Greyhawk ME. No complaints. Yes you need some basic tools and knowledge to stay on top of everything but hey, I’m retired. Gives me things to do.
SecondRetirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #44

Relaxation and family! My own bed and toilet
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ghwx View Post
Never before have I owned any RV. We want to buy our first - possibly a new 336FBOK

I have read so much - so many problems across the board.. everything is junk etc. We like what we can see when we have looked at Jayco but from reading all the negative I can only assume it will 'fall apart' towing it home!

So my question is, why have many of you bought multiple products over the years - given all the frustration and 'nightmare'?

I'm handy - I don't mind maintenance and fully expect it but with all the negatives posted I am feeling so disappointed and reluctant to pull the trigger.

What are your thoughts? Are the complaints overblown? Is there NOBODY that is happy with their Fifth Wheel?

Others have made their points very well. Although I usually suggest to people not to go all in on their first trailer. Huge investment to find out the lifestyle isn't what you expected or the trailer wasn't the best choice.

If you buy an older one, yeah you will be fixing it but better to learn on an older one than a brand new one
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #46

I’ve owned a prowler tt, Tioga arrow, a bounder and then this 2018 29rlds. All of my issues have been lack of quality workmanship issues with the Jayco. Problem solved. Traded it in on a solitude. Good luck you you who still have your Jayco.
Trailma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #47

OP is MIA but this is an interesting thread anyway.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:42 PM   #48

Most of the posts on this forum discusses issues that those that own Jayco's product have come across. There are many more owners that own Jayco's that do not have issues at all, so they do not post anything on the forum. It may seem like all owners that own Jayco's may have issues because some owner's that have issues with their Jayco product, come to this forum, to look for answers and ideas to solve their problems. :-) So, I would take what you are seeing in this forum with a grain of salt. It's like car, trucks and boats. There are lemons that do exist with any vehicle. We have a 2015 Whitehawk 27DSLR TT and have had no issues whatsoever :-) We love our Jayco and we even AirBnB'd it out quite a few times and have received rave reviews :-) Hope you decide to go with one and enjoy it like we have!!!

Happy Travels!!!
Livermore, CA
Elefantdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #49

We took three years to find what we wanted and the 16XRB fit that criteria just right. We have found that Jayco customer service has been exceptionally good and supportive. The dealer and people in service are extremely important. Go to the best, not the nearest.

We have traveled around 30,000 miles in three years and have seen much of the U.S. We've had more fun and enjoy our trailer more than we ever would have thought.

We buy and replace RV items like electric cords and adapters, water and sewer related parts, and tires with the best quality we can find. Swap out stock tires with Endurance soon.

When we're not traveling we're making our camper better than new and customizing it just for us. My wife has made curtains, mattress covers, found just the right things for the kitchen and foods to take along. I've done minor repairs and made many customized items. All that is fun as well.

RV's take a beating on the highway and they are not perfect. But they are what you make of them. One very significant positive we have found about RVing is the RV community is invariably supportive, friendly, and generous.

Pull the trigger when you are ready and start building adventures (most great and some scary) and happy memories.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #50

I have worked on boats for over 20 years. Want to experience issues, purchase your average mass production boat. Then you can really have something to fuss about!
Campers are the same. You have to go in expecting to have some issues pop up every now and then. Its just the nature of the beast.
Very few toys out there have no issues at all.

For the average camper, the Jayco seemed to be one of the better ones and my local dealer is great. I will probably always make my own repairs even though I have a wonderful dealership.

We just enjoy camping. Thats why we spent the money on it.
rigger4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #51

Managing expectations

First, as others have replied - on this site we're going to see posts about questions/problems and solutions.
We went into our purchase having done enough research to know that a travel trailer met our needs....and...that pulling it down the road is like subjecting your house to a continuous 7.0 earthquake. The trailer still fits our needs as a bump up from tent camping.
You need to know that tinkering and developing a relationship with your dealer are part of the deal. Buy wisely and expect to have a learning curve.
We've had a couple of issues, all have been dealt with efficiently and solved by our warranty and dealer.
We've also met a wonderful new world of helpful people at campgrounds. There's nothing like a problem to solve that brings out your neighbors to lend a helping hand.
If you're not a person who likes change, challenges, or learning new things....an RV may not be for you.
ltnunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #52

my 2 cents, all is good till it breaks and it will break is you use it, but I have no complaints with Jayco and their service center in Louisiana.
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #53

Why buy an RV?

Our 2015 Pinnacle is our 4th RV and we absolutely love it.

Yes, we've had problems but Jayco was great during the warranty period and since.

I equate it to "why have kids?". Kids are expensive, troublesome, noisy, fragile, etc. but many of us still wanted them.

For us the answer is a level of freedom, the comfort of our own bed, and being with our friends who also own RVs.

People who buy an RV to save money while traveling are usually fooling themselves because most seldom use their rig which they paid a tidy sum for and it has to be insured and maintained. In the long run a hotel and restaurants are cheaper but for many of us none of that matters. You buy one to enjoy despite the issues.

Like I said, we love our Pinnacle and the freedom to affords us.
jangeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #54

Because it is worth the maintenance to have one. If your handy your good. I have had plenty of warranty repairs and Jayco has always been good to me. I post to inform others and help others when I can. Tens of thousands of miles only a few problems I could not fix myself.
Rob P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #55

b1ghwx,
I RV because I love it. I'm on my 6th RV since 1975. Pop-up, 20' TT, 24' TT, 32' FW, 35' FW, 35' FW. I was out an RV from about 1985 till 2010. I was working way to much and in 2010 when I could see retirement as a dim light at the end of the tunnel I decided it was time to get ready. I bought my truck and the Hitchhiker Camper in my signature in 2010. I had zero issues with the 1998 Hitchhiker for the 2 years we used it. Traded it to a better floorplan for us to take the grandsons. In 2012 we traded for the 2010 Jayco Eagle Super Lite, we had zero issues with the Super Lite. It went on the longest trip I've taken since retiring 5,600 mile western loop that lasted 2 months. Traded for the 2018 Jayco FBDS new in December 2017 and have had zero issues!!! No I'm lying I have had several small issues. The first issue was when it was delivered to me one of the grey tank valves would not open. Bad installation at the factory. Dealer took care of it no problem. All the other problems I have taken care of myself. the two real problems were plumbing leaks. one was an untightened fitting under the kitchen sink that didn't leak for about the first year. The other leak appeared about three weeks after the first one. Improperly installed fitting on the back of the water heater. Took care of it myself. It is aggravating having problems with a brand new camper, but we act as the extended quality control department. All that said I love my new camper we are making great memories with our grandsons as in the last 2 years we have traveled over 10,000 miles, been in over 16 or more states, 8 National Parks, and Canada. RVing is like life don't let some negative comments keep you from doing what you want and living life your way. No one ever said at the end of their life I'm glad I didn't take any chances and try things that looked exciting. Most will say I wished I had done more and lived my life on the edge. My grand kids will remember all the fun we have done long after I am gone and know we did it our way. NO regrets.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthibodaux View Post
my 2 cents, all is good till it breaks and it will break is you use it, but I have no complaints with Jayco and their service center in Louisiana.
Where in Louisiana? We are going to be in Amite for two months starting September 5th and may need some warranty work done.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #57

Deciding not to get an RV because of things you read on this forum is like deciding not to buy a car because you sat in a service department waiting room.

Sure, you can hear all the horror stories (and maybe even learn what not to do), but you aren’t getting the full picture.
JDPEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #58

Stay home. Don’t buy an RV. This is not for you.
Phillipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #59

Most happy campers don’t toot their horn. They are busy enjoying. But a frustrated camper wants to sound off and is more likely to post. I have been rv’ing over 25 years and you take the good with the bad. If I had a lemon, I would be squawking to the dealer who can do something about it and not the general public. N different than buying a new car. Do it and have fun!! Hellvira
Wanderlust55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #60

Very happy with our purchase.

A few words of advice.
Know everything about your tow vehicle's capacities. Don't know? Ask a trusted friend. Don't rely on a sales person.
Research the unit you are eyeing to purchase. Know more than the salesman. Take a camper friend with you when looking.
Buy local from a great dealer, usually family owned. Dealers make the difference.
We purchased the extended warranty. Over time it has paid for itself.
As my dealer likes to remind me: "it's a house on wheels going down the road". What would happen if you towed a real house up and down the road.?
Our grandson just left to go home. Only 8 months old. We're camping near him. Wouldn't trade the memories for anything.
Jayco has been great to work with too.
MLaffoon is offline   Reply With Quote