Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #1

1st gen Seneca vs newer?

Hello All,
We have a 1st gen Seneca 34ss (2008) in which we are happy with. No real problems just the normal small fixes, but will probably have to paint in a couple years.
Thinking about possibly upgrading. Wondering if we would be happy with spending more money. It would be nice to have a little more fancy interior. The one problem I see is that that all the new models look like (without much studying) they are a minimum of 37 1/2 ft. Ours is 35 1/2 which keeps us in most RV parks.
Is the chassis more stable? Cummings motor much more powerful as compared to the unit? Maybe with more buttons and whistles are there more problems?
Would like to hear some thoughts if possible.

Thanks Mike
wrimda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:29 AM   #2

IMHO if you are content with your Seneca I would stay put. These rigs don’t make much sense financially and there will always be a ‘better’ edition out there. What’s really important is you’ve worked all the issues out and you know your rig inside and out. Sure, the Cummins is a torque monster and you would enjoy it especially on the Freightliner air bag chassis. But would it be a game changer all things considered? There comes a time when you simply just enjoy what you own and it’s a keeper. As far as length, I don’t think the 37 v. 35 lengths are discriminators as much as going from 30. And the 37 is really a 38/39 when you walk it down. Good luck finding your contentment sweet spot.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

1st gen seneca

The seneca 34ss in one of the best class c's out there . I don't think you could ask for a nicer unit. I have one. And love it. The duramax provides plenty of power while achieving great fuel economy. I've been upgrading the interior , to get rid of the 1970 decore. I think you will be disappointed with the new chassis.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
IMHO if you are content with your Seneca I would stay put. These rigs don’t make much sense financially and there will always be a ‘better’ edition out there. What’s really important is you’ve worked all the issues out and you know your rig inside and out. Sure, the Cummins is a torque monster and you would enjoy it especially on the Freightliner air bag chassis. But would it be a game changer all things considered? There comes a time when you simply just enjoy what you own and it’s a keeper. As far as length, I don’t think the 37 v. 35 lengths are discriminators as much as going from 30. And the 37 is really a 38/39 when you walk it down. Good luck finding your contentment sweet spot.

Hi, We have a 2018.5 37k and have really enjoyed it. I think that your decision depends on several things. First I haven't had a problem on RV parks and the 37k is technically 39 feet long. Our Seneca is a head turner and runs down the road like a real truck, which is why we bought it rather than a diesel pusher. As you have researcher the newer models are a little heavier and thus not subject to wind buffeting and the bow wave - suck of a smaller C. You need to find someone who had made all the fixes, you are on this site and pick your year and follow the threads. someone will have a personal situation that lets you get a great Seneca that is ready for the road. Happy travels.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #5

It sounds like you are in a good position to be contemplating an upgrade and not “needing” one. I think there is value in that you have a coach you know well, has been sorted and relatively problem free since 2008. That says a lot about what you have now.

My thought is that a new generation of the same unit on paper may appear “better”, but, that can be subjective given the fact you still get utility out of your current unit. The big advantage you have is time to really do your research here and in person with representative new units to see if it’s for you and make an informed, non-emotional decision. Good luck!

Aaron
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
You need to find someone who had made all the fixes, you are on this site and pick your year and follow the threads. someone will have a personal situation that lets you get a great Seneca that is ready for the road. Happy travels.
Thanks to All,
Sorry for the delay
Sounds like the newer Seneca’s are an upgrade, but not overwhelming. And yes, we are getting to know our unit better all the time.
I think what you said above, “follow the people that have made all the fixes”
sounds like a good idea. We will continue with upgrades and see how it goes.
Thank You
Old 09-02-2019, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superseneca View Post
The seneca 34ss in one of the best class c's out there . I don't think you could ask for a nicer unit. I have one. And love it. The duramax provides plenty of power while achieving great fuel economy. I've been upgrading the interior , to get rid of the 1970 decore. I think you will be disappointed with the new chassis.
We really like our unit, and I think we wil start some upgrades on the 70’s decore.
Thank You
Old 10-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #8

I started with new flooring, then recovered all the window valances. Not sure watch tw will want updated next. Maybe counter tops. It's a hobby.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote