Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #1

2016 Seneca FS Door Lock/Latch for Coach

Hi All. I have realized that on my coach door you can see the latch and deadbolt from the outside of coach which means I can open without a key if I wanted. Has anyone struggled with this issue? Does not look like an adjustment will help this. Wondering if anyone has added a outer plate to cover this area or changed the lock system altogether. I looked through posts but could not find anything specific to this.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLife View Post
Hi All. I have realized that on my coach door you can see the latch and deadbolt from the outside of coach which means I can open without a key if I wanted. Has anyone struggled with this issue? Does not look like an adjustment will help this. Wondering if anyone has added a outer plate to cover this area or changed the lock system altogether. I looked through posts but could not find anything specific to this.

Mine is the same way on my 2018.5. Short of taking the door frame out and installing correctly, shimming behind the hinges like I believe Robbyr did is the only solution. I have plans to make a stainless guard that covers that area but havent got around to it yet. It is a concern as i tried opening it using just my pocket knife I could just push the deadbolt back with the tip of my knife blade. If I held the door firmly shut when locking, this allowed the deadbolt to freely move completely into the lock position and I could not push it back.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #3

2016 Seneca FS Door Lock/Latch for Coach

Not concerned with it but since you are you should have an equal if not more concern for the cab doors as well. Perhaps on the house door you can jam something on the interior lock knob to immobilize it and simply exit through either cab door.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #4

As Rustynuts said, If the dead bolt is fully engaged it can not be pushed to retract. if you can push it the bolt is not fully out and you need to work out the door alignment to get it to fully travel into position.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #5

That makes perfect sense about the deadbolt.
Thanks All!
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Mine is the same way on my 2018.5. Short of taking the door frame out and installing correctly, shimming behind the hinges like I believe Robbyr did is the only solution.
I had similar issue and did remove my entry door and added shims to the hinge side. That moved the door closer on the latch side. Before the shimming, the main latch bolt seemed like it was barely engaging the jamb plate, but after shimming it engages fully. Very happy with the outcome.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote