Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #1

2018.5 S2RV 37HJ Under Bed “Buzz (or Hum)”

It’s been 2 weeks since I made this change so I think I’m safe to post it. There is 2 inputs into the transfer switch. One from the coach the other from the generator. My buzz was coming from the coach side. I decided since we don’t use the generator that much why not just switch the input wires. (Thinking the buzz would occur then when the generator was running.) I switched the input wires & I have NO buzz when the input is coming into the transfer switch from either the coach or generator. You can put your ear up to the bed base and can’t hear a thing. Fix? I hope so!
Martigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:02 PM   #2

Not a fix but a bandaid. It’s a common issue and the fix would be to upgrade the transfer switch.

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #3

Elhart Supply makes a quiet transfer switch. https://www.escousa.net/electrical-s...uct-6625681554

I ordered one from Walmart.com for $208. I figured with the cost or the wire needed to move the current switch this will be about the same.

I will update once I receive it and get it installed.
allanlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #4

It’s worked so far. (That’s why I waited 2 weeks to report.) Currently on a 43 day trip. I didn’t realize you had replaced the contact’s. The “buzz” was so bad I didn’t think relocating it to a bay would work. I felt the “buzz” would continue to be heard through the bay & into the living area. Guess time will tell. Thanks.
Martigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #5

Looking forward to the updates. What happened to the post about moving to the bay? I even remember there being photo attached?
RTVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:46 PM   #6

There is way to stop that buzz: disconnect the shore power for about 10 seconds. If it does not stop the buzz right away, repeat 4 or 5 times.
Annoying but it works for me.
jacquesmm is offline   Reply With Quote