Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2021, 09:47 PM   #1

2018.5 Seneca Slides Inoperative

Went to outdoor storage lot (41 degrees) to exercise engine & generator. Turned on coach power (switch @ step), cranked engine & generator. No problem. But when I attempted to open the slides they would not open. No response at all on any of the three. Any ideas?
Martigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martigg View Post
Went to outdoor storage lot (41 degrees) to exercise engine & generator. Turned on coach power (switch @ step), cranked engine & generator. No problem. But when I attempted to open the slides they would not open. No response at all on any of the three. Any ideas?
Some questions:
1. When you switched the coach battery switch on, did you hear it "clunk" and did other 12-volt items like the overhead lights work? On my rig I can start the generator without the coach battery switch on and if your solenoid has failed your generator might start but you won't have coach power.

2. Did you try operating the slides with the engine off? I know on my 2014 TS my slides all work with ignition on but I don't know if Jayco changed anything in later years. My last Class C had an ignition interlock that prevented the slides from operating if the ignition was on.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:26 PM   #3

I think Rob might have the answer with #2, on our 2018.5 the slides do not operate while the engine is running, there is an ignition lockout that controls the power to the relays.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
RPR

They changed to no power to slides with engine running.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I think Rob might have the answer with #2, on our 2018.5 the slides do not operate while the engine is running, there is an ignition lockout that controls the power to the relays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
They changed to no power to slides with engine running.
THAT would be the first modification I made... Our Seneca slides work with the engine running...

Our routine in the morning as we are prepping to pull out on the road - I am outside doing the final steps of putting things in the storage bays while Stacy is finishing the inside. After the trip check of fluids under the hood, the Seneca get started and idles to bring up the air pressure and warm up. That is the cue for Stacy for her to start bringing in the slides... and when they are all in, she can retract the levelers (so we have air in the system to supply the air bags)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #6
RPR

That would be disabling a safety device installed by the manufacturer to prevent damage to the unit and property caused by moving the unit with slides out. This may affect your insurance. I would contact your insurance agent to verify.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #7

On my 2020, ignition on will only lockout extend. You can bring the slides in with the engine running.
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:12 PM   #8

Thanks to all that responded. 1. I did hear a “clunk” when I triggered the coach power switch @ the steps & I did have 12 volt power. 2. I expect with the truck engine running the slides were “locked out” of the EXTEND function. Makes perfectly good sense to me. Thanks Again & Stay Healthy!
Martigg is offline   Reply With Quote