Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2022, 03:19 PM   #1

A failure in communication between devices (Solar).

We've been boondocking for the past couple of days and last night we had an interesting reading on our shunt saying that I've used more energy than I have as well as the sun was going down the system won't work on solar for dinner and other things.
I was surprised that the batteries were completely down being sunny all day.
I ran the generator for dinner and then ran the lights and fans with the solar since I couldn't believe that they were empty.
This morning, the shunt says the system is completely charged and we were able to make tea and coffee without any issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220425-144945.jpg   Screenshot_20220426-083704.jpg  
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semix-Hex View Post
We've been boondocking for the past couple of days and last night we had an interesting reading on our shunt saying that I've used more energy than I have as well as the sun was going down the system won't work on solar for dinner and other things.
I was surprised that the batteries were completely down being sunny all day.
I ran the generator for dinner and then ran the lights and fans with the solar since I couldn't believe that they were empty.
This morning, the shunt says the system is completely charged and we were able to make tea and coffee without any issue.
Hmm. I do not have this system but sounds like an electrical glitch of some kind. You may want to shut down the system (cut all power to it completely) for a minute or two...and then reboot it.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Hmm. I do not have this system but sounds like an electrical glitch of some kind. You may want to shut down the system (cut all power to it completely) for a minute or two...and then reboot it.
The strange thing was, it reset itself by morning. I'm going to find out more information from Victron and maybe have to get the adapter to look at the settings via computer. I might have to get a computer to do this to.
I really don't like surprises like this, especially while boondocking.
2019 F-150
Old 04-26-2022, 10:39 PM   #4

Quote:
The strange thing was, it reset itself by morning. I'm going to find out more information from Victron and maybe have to get the adapter to look at the settings via computer. I might have to get a computer to do this to.
I really don't like surprises like this, especially while boondocking.
Unless you synchronized your SOC level, the system won’t read your SOC percentage and other reading correctly until you have two or more full charge cycles. You can manually sync it in the settings if you like. Remember, nothing runs off Solar, Solar only charges your batteries and you run off the batteries.

In the first pic, it shows your SOC at 13.57 so you were pretty much at full SOC depending on what you have your charge settings at.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 04:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Unless you synchronized your SOC level, the system won’t read your SOC percentage and other reading correctly until you have two or more full charge cycles. You can manually sync it in the settings if you like. Remember, nothing runs off Solar, Solar only charges your batteries and you run off the batteries.

In the first pic, it shows your SOC at 13.57 so you were pretty much at full SOC depending on what you have your charge settings at.
I think some of the issue is that I should be able to synchronize my SOC after having been on float for several days from my solar (Hope springs eternal).

No, I don't have a battery charger that works with lithium batteries.

I would also really like to have Victron communicate with my generator. Maybe Cerbo could, with all those plug-ins.

We'll get there.
2019 F-150
Old 04-27-2022, 07:01 PM   #6

Quote:
I think some of the issue is that I should be able to synchronize my SOC after having been on float for several days from my solar (Hope springs eternal).

No, I don't have a battery charger that works with lithium batteries.

I would also really like to have Victron communicate with my generator. Maybe Cerbo could, with all those plug-ins.

We'll get there.
Cerbo GX can control the generator, I have looked into it a bit but it’s not real important to me as I just do it manually my way.

Even though you don’t have a lithium charger you can set your solar charge controller to lithium charge settings so that it gives it a full charge, here are settings for the smartshunt and charge controller that AM Solar uses. Also remember that even if charged up to 14.4/14.6, once the charge stops, the battery will settle down to 13.6 within an hour or so. Here is a good lithium charge chart.
Attached Thumbnails
CDB9BBB3-D186-41D9-B864-5FBF383CEA4E.jpg   EC0FEF4C-6352-46A9-8673-98D26EA6272F.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Cerbo GX can control the generator, I have looked into it a bit but it’s not real important to me as I just do it manually my way.

Even though you don’t have a lithium charger you can set your solar charge controller to lithium charge settings so that it gives it a full charge, here are settings for the smartshunt and charge controller that AM Solar uses. Also remember that even if charged up to 14.4/14.6, once the charge stops, the battery will settle down to 13.6 within an hour or so. Here is a good lithium charge chart.
That first chart is really useful! I haven't had any issues since that first time (of course).
2019 F-150