Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
Sam

Bedliner spray on cab steps of my Seneca

I have an appointment next week to have my cab steps (where the black non slip material is) sprayed with bed liner material. I believe some have removed the steps and taken them to the the bed liner spray business. If I remember, Rob did just this. My question is was this an easy removal. It looks like there are four large screws to remove on each set of steps. Hope I am right.

Thanks, Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I have an appointment next week to have my cab steps (where the black non slip material is) sprayed with bed liner material. I believe some have removed the steps and taken them to the the bed liner spray business. If I remember, Rob did just this. My question is was this an easy removal. It looks like there are four large screws to remove on each set of steps. Hope I am right.

Thanks, Sam
While the bedliner application was certainly worth it, the removal of the screws holding the steps on was a real pain. On my Seneca Jayco used uncoated self-tapping screws which rusted solidly into the supporting members. I ended up just drilling the heads off the screws, a chore in itself since the screws were hardened. Once I got the head drilled out I could lift the steps off the remaining part of the screws. Then I could use penetrating oil and vice grips to remove the remainder of the screw from the support. On my passenger side steps Jayco only "hit" the support with one of the four screws. So that side wasn't as bad since the other three screws just went "into the air"! The driver side they did hit the supports underneath and all 4 screws had to be drilled out then removed.

Determined to make it "better" in the event I ever had to take the steps off again I used stainless steel "rivnuts" which I installed in the step supports. I carefully marked where the screws needed to go, which were mostly where the former screws were located. But on the passenger side I had to mark new holes since there was only one into the support to start with.

After installing the rivnuts I used stainless steel countersunk head screws to secure the steps to the support. The screws I used have an allen head, less likely to strip like the original Phillips head screws. The holes over the screws were filled with black silicone which blended in nicely with the bedliner. Even years later now you have to look to see where the screw holes are located.

Here are some pics of my installation and the parts used.
Attached Thumbnails
Stainless rivnut.jpg   Rivnut installed in cab step support.jpg   Installed rivnut side view.jpg   Cab steps completed.jpg  
Attached Images

Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #3

I had my steps done just around the fuel filler neck right after I got mine ( paint was already chipped from the diesel pump nozzle). I wish I would have had them do the step area as well at the same time. They actually did the bedliner spray with the steps in place.
chfraser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

Line-X

I recently returned from a long road trip. Diesel got under the non slip tape on my top steps and began to come off.
I contacted a local Line-X company and showed them a picture. I was going to just have the top of the steps coated with the bed liner material. I am glad I was convinced to have the whole stair piece sprayed. I had to remove the stairs, the clear plastic tape and as much of the tape residue that I could. They had to clean off some that I couldn’t.
I am very satisfied with how clean it came out. Part of the reason for spraying the whole thing is the paint was starting to come off. Freightliner had some issues with air or water spurting out when they sprayed the paint. . I could see it when I pulled off the tape, along with some paint that pulled off.
Attached Thumbnails
1ED1AC02-8AED-4697-B9C7-73BBF10678F6.jpg  
rollon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #5

Looks good!

I see you also have the Extend-A-Fill extensions on your tanks. They sure do make fueling easier!
Old 09-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #6

Thank you.
Thanks to all you pioneers I have made some good changes! Keep up the good work.
2012 Ford F-350 Dually
Old 09-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #7

Super good looking, Jayco should do this at the factory. It’s not like it would cost a bunch of $ money...
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #8
Site Team

The steps look great! Line-X is a very tough material, and should outlast the rest of the rig. I believe it was originally made as an explosion-proof barrier for military vehicle undercarriages, and it's popularity took off as a bedlining process.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #9

I agree that it should come standard. It would be easy to do before attaching the stairs and make it safer for the users. They even did the hood of a Freightliner that had sun damage and the plastic covering the paint faded to yellow. Looks really good and is now able to withstand rocks better.
Simple factory fixes, like the extensions for the gas tanks.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #10

I finally got around to having mine coated in Line-X. I’m not sure how the upper step is supported on the early Senecas but in the S2RV chassis there are the main brackets and then a bolt on upper bracket to support the top step. Pulling the steps were easy since it was so new but each step only had 2 screws holding them on as the other 2 were already broken. The problem is that the steps do not fit the upper and lower brackets and Jayco just screws them down and this racks the steps up under the cab and they rub on the bottom of the cab and on a hard bump, thumps on the bottom of the cab. I took the upper brackets off and enlarged the bolt holes to make them adjustable. Then I bolted the step on just on the lower step and then tightened the upper bracket in place while holding it against the upper step, once everything was tight I pulled the step and then drilled a 3rd hole to keep the upper bracket from slipping on the enlarged holes. Doing it this way there was even space all around the step like it should be and no longer rubbed on the cab. I ended up just bolting through the step using a countersunk aluminum washer and stainless countersunk Allen head bolt that I powder coated in a textured finish to match the Line-X. Removing the non skid tape wasn’t bad but I also removed all the diamond shield clear film off the steps which was a pain! I was surprised that the paint under the film looked to be only wet sanded and never buffed but polished right up after hitting it with Meguiars 105 and then 205. Looks much better than before, Jayco really needs to fit these steps a little better.
Attached Thumbnails
A6395ED0-BB69-4A26-BBDA-DFEA374FDB5E.jpg   C22EA2CF-2E06-4518-9CF3-DC8FB5F97E77.jpg   783224C8-230F-43CF-BB59-64FBBDDB37E8.jpg   05440FF6-DEF2-4514-A4C2-E61C29D41FAF.jpg   7E6B418A-DFD3-4A7F-B3B1-05CEBEA832B7.jpg  

EA920FB6-517B-4DED-A480-4A2EF7661ADC.jpg   F23C1ABD-4650-4C03-93A5-F1094E42877C.jpg   9C6362EE-3E6A-4F65-904C-E6B9583C81CC.jpg   F3C79946-72D1-447C-8493-630D3D60FF81.jpg   97A99120-8390-4345-A91A-91FBA9719CAE.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #11

Looks great!

I guess I'm somewhat sad Jayco still hasn't figured out how to properly secure cab steps!
Old 11-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #12

Did the same, after suggestions from guys on this site. A very worthwhile upgrade.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #13

Hi Robby , I have finally tackled this project to correct Jayco's mistake & apply bedliner on my steps . I was able to get alll the original screws out ( definitely a pain ) but my question to you is what size riv-nut set up did you use ? Did the Liner business you used do all the prep to clean original steps ? I am going to line the whole step as my Seneca has all black steps in the first place . Also do you mind me asking what approx cost was to do yours ?
srxhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by srxhare View Post
Hi Robby , I have finally tackled this project to correct Jayco's mistake & apply bedliner on my steps . I was able to get alll the original screws out ( definitely a pain ) but my question to you is what size riv-nut set up did you use ? Did the Liner business you used do all the prep to clean original steps ? I am going to line the whole step as my Seneca has all black steps in the first place . Also do you mind me asking what approx cost was to do yours ?
My rivnuts were 1/4"-20 stainless steel and I used stainless recessed head screws to secure the steps. Then I covered the screws with black silicone and they (still) blend in with the steps. And I spent quite a bit of time removing the old screws too!

Jayco had tried (and missed) several times to hit the supports so I had "extra" holes in my steps. Jayco didn't care, they were covered by the non-skid step treads. So my body shop repaired the extra holes in the steps using fiberglass and resin. Then they did prep and mask and shoot the bedliner.

I did remove them myself and deliver them to the shop and picked them up when complete. They charged $400 for the repairs and spraying.
Attached Thumbnails
Stainless rivnut.jpg   Rivnut installed in cab step support.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2022, 08:06 PM   #15

Thanks for the info Rob! Fortunately Jayco did not miss any of my brackets , they did miss big time by using the crappy self tapping screws on the Senecas . I just wish I would have jumped into this project 2 years ago & now 2 times prior replacing the OE step strips only to peel off the first time you spill a spot of Diesel . I took my steps to the body shop today to start prep for liner. Will post pics when complete.
srxhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by srxhare View Post
Thanks for the info Rob! Fortunately Jayco did not miss any of my brackets , they did miss big time by using the crappy self tapping screws on the Senecas . I just wish I would have jumped into this project 2 years ago & now 2 times prior replacing the OE step strips only to peel off the first time you spill a spot of Diesel . I took my steps to the body shop today to start prep for liner. Will post pics when complete.
Very good!
Old 03-26-2022, 10:05 PM   #17
Sam

steps sprayed

I had mine sprayed professionally at a shop that specialized in bedliners. Did a prefect job. They did all the labor, including removal of the steps. Cost was $350.
Sam
Old 03-30-2022, 08:24 PM   #18

Wow! Never thought of bedliner. Was that $350 each or for both steps? I have to get this done.

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronL View Post
Wow! Never thought of bedliner. Was that $350 each or for both steps? I have to get this done.
Mine were $400 for both, and I needed some fiberglass repair due to Jayco's "missed" attempts at screwing them down. But I did remove them and reinstall them myself.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:42 PM   #20
Sam

$350 for both steps. You won’t be sorry if you do it. Sam