Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2021, 11:00 AM   #1

Electrical outlet issues

First I would says we bought this motor home used so I only know how things worked when we bought it not necessarily how they should work. 2008 Jayco Seneca there are 6 house outlets all 6 work fine on shore power as well as when the generator is running. However only 1 outlet would work in a boon docking situation on battery power only. Now for some reason that outlet will no longer work on battery power buts works as the others do. The interior lights work as well as the water pump so I don't think its the inverter. There is 1 outlet when tested says an open ground but this predated the aforementioned issue. Thanks for any help
pdwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:09 PM   #2

The one outlet that has 120 volts under battery power only is being powered by an inverter. This is a device that converts 12 volts into 120 volts. It will probably go through a transfer switch that swaps the outlet from the shore power/generator to the inverter.

Look for fuses on the inverter or tripped circuit breaker for the inverter.

I have attached some troubleshooting info that may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quick Multimeter Instructions (ver 1).pdf (376.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 10 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #3

I do not have active AC outlets

RE: 2014 Seneca Super C 37TS. AC outlets do not work either while on generator or 30 amp land hookup. The bathroom outlet with surge protector is also not active and will not be reset. The fuses at the bedroom all look good. Are there any other hidden fuses to check??
dalmer2362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmer2362 View Post
RE: 2014 Seneca Super C 37TS. AC outlets do not work either while on generator or 30 amp land hookup. The bathroom outlet with surge protector is also not active and will not be reset. The fuses at the bedroom all look good. Are there any other hidden fuses to check??
Dalmer yours is a separate issue and you will get the help you need if you start a new post of your own. Yours sounds like a GFCI issue. You can't reset GFCI outlet unless there is power to it. Check all your breakers. Turn them all off and then back on again and then check the bathroom GFCI and see if it resets.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
The common elements of shore and generator power are the transfer switch and circuit breaker panel. No fuses will be involved with 120 volts as that is protected by circuit breakers.

I would check the transfer switch first. Do this without any power applied (not plugged in and generator off). Remove the box cover and look for loose or burnt connections. Problems here are not that uncommon so it is a good place to start.

The transfer switch will feed the circuit breaker panel's main 30 amp breaker. To really verify where the voltage is being lost will require a voltmeter. But, if you are not comfortable measuring 120 volts DON'T DO IT. This can be a lethal voltage if you get across it. You may need an electrician to look at things.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwags View Post
First I would says we bought this motor home used so I only know how things worked when we bought it not necessarily how they should work. 2008 Jayco Seneca there are 6 house outlets all 6 work fine on shore power as well as when the generator is running. However only 1 outlet would work in a boon docking situation on battery power only. Now for some reason that outlet will no longer work on battery power buts works as the others do. The interior lights work as well as the water pump so I don't think its the inverter. There is 1 outlet when tested says an open ground but this predated the aforementioned issue. Thanks for any help

The lights and pump are all 12 vdc, the one outlet is on the inverter as was mentioned above. Since the outlet works when you are plugged in I doubt it is a problem with a ground. Mostly likely the inverter is off, or circuit breaker on the inverter is popped.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:19 PM   #7
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
The bathroom outlet with surge protector is also not active and will not be reset.
The GFCI's won't reset unless there's power to them.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote