Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #1
Sam

Flat tire on dully, 2014 Seneca TS

I have a flat tire on the left rear inside dully, fortunately, I am home, noticed the flat Friday and am going to call my road service tomorrow. I have an unmounted new tire that I have carried as a spare and will have mounted on the wheel that the flat is on.

Now the question, the new tire is a Michelin the same as all the other tires. I think I remember reading some time ago that on Dullys you should not mount a new tire and one that has mileage side by side, the older one has about 50,000 miles. Did I dream this or is this true?
Thanks, Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 08:13 PM   #2

True, duals should always been replaced together unless they have "Very low" mileage. More work but put the new one on the front and put that tire on the back.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:14 AM   #3

I would look at the age markings on all the tires. RV tires tend to age before wearing out. I have heard replacements suggestions from 5 years to 10 years with most people suggesting 7 years.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:30 PM   #4
Sam

Good things to consider, especially age. I purchased the Seneca seven years ago this month and tires are getting old. One thing in that is good for the tires is the Seneca is always stored in a completely enclosed RV garage when not being used. That said I now am replacing both tires on the left rear dully and may replace both on the right rear.

A question, I see no evidence of weights or tire balancing on any wheels, is tire balancing unnecessary?

Thanks, Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:22 PM   #5

They might have used balancing beads which are inside the tires. You can check the age of the tires by the 4 digit number next to the tires sizing codes. The first two are the week and the last is the year. So you are probably looking at something like xx13 or xx14 if your rig was built in 2014. Your tire pro should advise on the replacement of the other tires.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:14 AM   #6
Site Team

If it was my decision, I would first find out why the tire was flat. I don't compare tire change time to the date code on a MH the same as a towed rig with ST tires.

Could be just a nail that is repairable and then you can get professional advice and schedule a tire replacement on your schedule.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:55 AM   #7

Michelin has a web site showing the rotation patterns. Always take a copy for Discount to use for my dully tire rotations.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
A question, I see no evidence of weights or tire balancing on any wheels, is tire balancing unnecessary?

Thanks, Sam
On our 2015 Seneca, Jayco did not balance the drive tires... They did balance the steer tires.

When we replaced our tires after showing weather checking, we did put balancing bags in the drives and dynamically balanced the steers. It made a noticeable difference.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote