Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #1

Heating tanks in 2010 Seneca?

Hi All;
New member, have learned much from the forum. I have a 2010 Seneca that I'd like to use this winter... has anyone added tank heating pads and do they work well? Average temp in N. NJ is in the 20's during the winter with a few colder days. I'm mostly worried about the tanks while plugged in and sitting in between trips. I do have a thermo controlled heater in the wet bay. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
2010 Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #2

Welcome Aboard!

I do not have any first hand experience with tank heaters. I do not have any. We do camp in the spring and fall when it gets down into the 20's over night with daytime highs usually above 40. So far we have not had any issues.

If your at home between trips, I would strongly recommend fully draining your system, and not worry about using the tank heaters at home. They say you need to have fluid in the tanks to use the heating pads.

What I would worry about is where are your FW piping is located. Most MHs they are under the floor fully exposed to the elements. They will freeze long before the tanks will.

Someone recently posted how they ran heat trace along the pipes, and insulated with pipe insulation. Then installed a controller that will cycle the heat trace on/off to provide just enough heat to keep things from freezing.

Between trips it would be wise to protect the plumbing system. Add some RV antifreeze at minimum down the drains to protect the p-traps. Ideally do that to your FW system too. But many people only use compressed air to displace the water in the plumbing system. The tanks are very large, so a small amount of residual frozen water does not have the strength to break a tank. Also keep an eye on your water heater (if turned off) and outside shower connections, they tend to freeze first.

Good luck post some pictures of your adventures.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #3

I had a 2008 35GS and never had any issues, 17 degrees in DENVER. Your tanks are pretty well enclosed. I had a 200 watt personal heater from Wal Mart and put it in the utility bay. Maybe the same as you already have.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-200...Black/16503222
Old 11-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I had a 2008 35GS and never had any issues, 17 degrees in DENVER. Your tanks are pretty well enclosed. I had a 200 watt personal heater from Wal Mart and put it in the utility bay. Maybe the same as you already have.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-200...Black/16503222
Exactly what I have!!! Thanks for the quick replies.... I think I’ll just go for it without the pads then.... what about the hot water heater?
2010 Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:22 PM   #5

If the water heater is turned on, it will cycle on and off as needed to keep the water at 120 degrees.

If you have an electric option, and are on a LONG drive might want to turn on the electric heating element (requires the generator to be on) to keep the water warm. You will be fine for a number of hours with it off.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote