Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #1

Question New 2020 Seneca on Order - What to look for?

We have a new '20 Seneca 37TS on order that will be ready in about 8 weeks. This is my first RV and I wanted to ask what I should watch out for, what I should make sure to check and make sure that the dealer checks. Is there a checklist online somewhere?

What are some of the problems other buyers of new Senecas have had?

We are going to be living in this full time from the moment we drive away, so I want to make sure every detail is checked out.

We know we want to get it set up with solar first thing as well as installing a good alarm system. Is the Seneca set up for easy solar install? I'll get the alarm/camera system done professionally.

Thanks in advance!
Seek and Enjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:05 AM   #2

First congratulations and welcome to the Seneca.

My first advise would be to set up a campsite near the dealer so you can do a quick overnight and get a feel for everything. You can then run back to dealer for any issues.

Test everything. Ask questions.

My major issue was screw pops under the flooring. Had to have floor replaced.

If possible after the delivery stay in the dealers lot for a while and practice leveling and extending the slides. Have them show you the TV hook up and how to use the various sources. Radio and GPS. How do they work.

This could go on and on. If you have questions you can always post on here.

Some things you have get used to.
You can not operate slides or awning or set level jack's with engine on. [Jacks will retract with engine on and if you really screw up and try to drive with them down they will retract automatically] When extending slides hold the button the whole time until the slide stops moving and is silent for a few seconds. This is especially true of the swintec slide in bedroom. Check to be sure nothing is near the slides before moving them. These motors are pretty powerful and can cause significant damage if something is in the way.

Best wishes and you will soon enjoy your new rig.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #3

Congrat on your joining the Seneca club. Ditto on RVermont if you can set up at the dealer. Make sure to run the Satellite system and all TV’s. Also the OTA antenna. I had a pinched/broken Cable from the Satellite to the control box. Second line from the Satellite worked. But went through several hours of troubleshooting before figuring that out. Check your cable in connection back on panel in water panel and sewer closet. My “cable line” was reversed with Satellite on panel. Pull out your battery tray. Does it bind? Are all battery cable situated so you can access water filling your batteries? I couldn’t pull a couple caps because cables running across batteries. Some obvious things check all sink drains for leaks. Just remember once you leave the lot you may wait months for “your” dealer to schedule repairs.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #4

A lot depends on your dealer. When we picked up our Seneca I knew more about the operations of the coach just from reading everything here about the Senecas than the guy giving the walk-thru.....he didnt know much at all and some of his comments were comical. We have had several RV's and knew what to check and operate on the lot. Like others have posted just try everything and make sure it works. If possible I would check the roof and all the sealed areas. Our jacks would not auto level and they had to reset that. There were a few minor things that I saw but didnt bring up as I would rather fix them myself and get it done right. If you want a very complete list of things to check there is one on the forum here.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ted-36094.html

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #5

Congrats. Just remember the love you feel from the dealer before you hand over the purchase money will fade quickly after delivery. Just be mentally prepared for that and set a high bar for when you must take it in for service and be prepared to wait and possibly miss a scheduled camping trip. The issue I see for solarizing your rig is finding competent people to plan it, spec it, and install it. I'm sure yours is solar ready so no new cabling needs to be routed.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #6

Congratulations on your new truck!!!
One thing to look for is the sealant around the picture frame of the slides. Although Jayco states that it is butyl sealant behind that which prevents leaks, the consensus is that water can leak into the slide floor and RV if these seals are incompetent.

There is a break in period on the generator! Just happened to catch this before we screwed up.

It will be a lot of fun; enjoy the experience!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #7

As far as solar, its was pretty easy and I did it myself (only person I trust ) Yours should come pre-wired from the roof to the compartment right next to the battery compartment. Mounting the panels was the worst part for me, having to put holes in the roof but just take your time and when running the screws in, do it by hand, not power tools and use lots of Dicor. Here is the thread on my install explaining what I did.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...all-58352.html
Attached Thumbnails
42A20476-E084-4781-B814-D9449EF58DB1.jpg   42EC02E0-DBF4-47DD-9EF3-5B99CD52B5F2.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Congratulations on your new truck!!!
One thing to look for is the sealant around the picture frame of the slides. Although Jayco states that it is butyl sealant behind that which prevents leaks, the consensus is that water can leak into the slide floor and RV if these seals are incompetent.

There is a break in period on the generator! Just happened to catch this before we screwed up.

It will be a lot of fun; enjoy the experience!
What do you mean by break in period? What does that entail?
Thanks.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #9

If you've never owned an RV before, take a look into an independent RV inspector. It's around $200 to $400 and is a pretty solid investment. Yes, even though it's new.

I do recommend that you download the manual now, print it, and take notes. You'll see that through it time and time again is a phrase- "if so equipped." So, why does that matter? Whelp, if you need to bring in your slide in an emergency, you'll find that there are 2 or 3 listed. If you take notes in your manual, you will know to ask.

It might not be available on Jayco's website, but you can email them, explain the situation, and they'll send it to you. That's what I had to do to get the 2019 version.

I am pretty happy for you- they are a lot of fun. Enjoy it!
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #10

Here is what Jayco wants the dealer to show you. I am sure this is the same for all motorized, but as an FYI, this was for my Redhawk, not a Seneca.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
Old 07-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
If you've never owned an RV before, take a look into an independent RV inspector. It's around $200 to $400 and is a pretty solid investment. Yes, even though it's new.

I do recommend that you download the manual now, print it, and take notes. You'll see that through it time and time again is a phrase- "if so equipped." So, why does that matter? Whelp, if you need to bring in your slide in an emergency, you'll find that there are 2 or 3 listed. If you take notes in your manual, you will know to ask.

It might not be available on Jayco's website, but you can email them, explain the situation, and they'll send it to you. That's what I had to do to get the 2019 version.

I am pretty happy for you- they are a lot of fun. Enjoy it!
Thanks, we plan on getting an RV inspector and spending the day with it checking all systems, splinters, seals etc... before taking it from the lot the next day. As far as the manual, the only email contact I can find requires the serial number or vin which I do not have.

On another note,I'm trying to get some details on the batteries that come on board. It looks like there are 6 batteries in the roll out battery bay. Are these all house batteries and the chassis batteries are elsewhere or are these 6 all of them?

TIA - Shawn
Old 07-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek and Enjoy View Post
Thanks, we plan on getting an RV inspector and spending the day with it checking all systems, splinters, seals etc... before taking it from the lot the next day. As far as the manual, the only email contact I can find requires the serial number or vin which I do not have.
Put eight zeros in the serial number, tell them that it is on order with them so you don't have a serial number yet, and you'd like it. They'll take care of you.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #13

Was in the process of buying a 20 Seneca 37k, but I started reading the thread about cab being too cold in cold weather and too hot in warm weather without running a thick blanket between cab and cabin. Has me studying the purchase a little more for that much money.
2014KTPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:11 AM   #14

We have a 2019 Seneca HJ and the factory batteries we have are all AGM batteries supplied to Jayco by Harris Batteries. There are 2 12v chassis batteries and 4 6v house batteries installed. All the batteries are being charged while on shore power. I personally prefer AGM because they seem to last longer, they don't corrode connectors or metal nearby and they require no water to be added.

Do the best you can on the initial inspection as I did the best I could when we took delivery but I still missed some things and had some warranty issues.

Have wonderful and safe travels with your new RV
mcdanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
checklist, new buyer, seneca 37 ts, solar