Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2021, 10:55 PM   #1

New Seneca owner

Our past experience is with a TT and wood framing. We have a "new-to-us" 2008 Jayco Seneca 36FS motorhome. It is gutted and we are putting up new window coverings and have hit a snag; the rear bedroom window is an emergency exit and as we attempted to attach brackets to the wall about 2" above the window frame we hit metal in two places. I have tried an internet search to help me understand/learn about the framing on this motorhome to no avail. I had considered using self-tapping screws (1/4") but decided to seek advice because I am concerned that perhaps there is wiring behind this metal stud and I don't want to damage the wiring.

Any advice/help is appreciated! TYIA!
1Chillyharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Chillyharley View Post
Our past experience is with a TT and wood framing. We have a "new-to-us" 2008 Jayco Seneca 36FS motorhome. It is gutted and we are putting up new window coverings and have hit a snag; the rear bedroom window is an emergency exit and as we attempted to attach brackets to the wall about 2" above the window frame we hit metal in two places. I have tried an internet search to help me understand/learn about the framing on this motorhome to no avail. I had considered using self-tapping screws (1/4") but decided to seek advice because I am concerned that perhaps there is wiring behind this metal stud and I don't want to damage the wiring.

Any advice/help is appreciated! TYIA!
I see you found your way over here 😉 you should get more info from other owners here.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:42 AM   #3

I can't speak for the 2008, but our 2015 is built this way...

They sandwich a thin alluminum tube frame into the vacuum bonded sidewall. Essentially a core of styrofoam with a side of Luan and /or fiberglass. Jayco sent us the specifications to us when we requested them - a couple of samples are posted with this.

In other places, they insert a thin sheet-metal sheet behind the luan and foam to provide something the screws can bite into... essentially a reinforcement for other attachment points.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0038919_O_1-3_122214.pdf (198.3 KB, 36 views)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I see you found your way over here 😉 you should get more info from other owners here.
Thank you! I appreciate you letting me know about this group, I have lots to learn
Old 04-06-2021, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
I can't speak for the 2008, but our 2015 is built this way...

They sandwich a thin alluminum tube frame into the vacuum bonded sidewall. Essentially a core of styrofoam with a side of Luan and /or fiberglass. Jayco sent us the specifications to us when we requested them - a couple of samples are posted with this.

In other places, they insert a thin sheet-metal sheet behind the luan and foam to provide something the screws can bite into... essentially a reinforcement for other attachment points.
Thank you! I have lots to learn about our new way of travel so hopefully I can tap everyone in this group when I hit my snags.

I appreciate the specs, I'll work on deciphering them, LOL. That looks complicated!

I am thinking that wiring is not involved within that part of the framing so I can move forward and block out that sun
Old 04-06-2021, 09:36 AM   #6

I have an 08 35 GS. On ours, you can get on the ground outside and look up between the outer fiberglass shell and the rear wall. There is not much wiring in the back, other then the rear tailights.

Also, please post pics of the remodel. The wife and I will be undertaking a full interior remodel this summer and would love to see some inspiration.
luckydad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydad71 View Post
I have an 08 35 GS. On ours, you can get on the ground outside and look up between the outer fiberglass shell and the rear wall. There is not much wiring in the back, other then the rear tailights.

Also, please post pics of the remodel. The wife and I will be undertaking a full interior remodel this summer and would love to see some inspiration.
Thank you! We got her pretty much gutted because the previous owner put in new flooring and hadn't put anything back in it so we told him to leave it all out. Lucky us!!!!

We are so looking forward to taking her out!
Old 04-07-2021, 09:03 PM   #8

1Chillyharley,
On this site there is a special forum dedicated to 1st Generation Seneca Owners.
You might find your answer here, or you might post your question in this forum.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/g...on+owners.html

We also have a 1st Gen Seneca, when you have time read through the posts. I think you will find it very helpful.

Good Luck with your Seneca
Mike
wrimda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrimda View Post
1Chillyharley,
On this site there is a special forum dedicated to 1st Generation Seneca Owners.
You might find your answer here, or you might post your question in this forum.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/g...on+owners.html

We also have a 1st Gen Seneca, when you have time read through the posts. I think you will find it very helpful.

Good Luck with your Seneca
Mike
Thank you!!!!! Every piece of advice is so appreciated, quite the curve to learn from TT to our new MH.