Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2021, 09:27 AM   #1

OSM Lithium Batteries

Has anyone purchased and used a Lithium battery from OSMbattery.com?

I would love to hear from someone on the quality.

Thanks
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #2

Following as I am about to purchase the Ampere Time batteries from amazon.
tpastorini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpastorini View Post
Following as I am about to purchase the Ampere Time batteries from amazon.
please report back here when you get them and please picture document the install.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:40 PM   #4

lithium-iron-phosphate-battery

Not familiar with Ampere Time, but I did buy 3 of these 100AH ReBel batteries (Link below) last year and hooked up in parallel in our Pinnacle 32rlts. So far they seem pretty decent.
I got a better price on e-bay but it appears they don't sell on there anymore.
Batteries can be monitored on your phone via blue tooth, and even shut off charging or discharging on your phone.
Seller is USA based (A Vet) and very responsive with questions.
One thing to look for when battery shopping is check that your full battery amperage can be supplied, for instance some 100AH capacity batteries are limited to 50 Amp maximum output due to cheaper components.
I am trying to post a pic, hope it works. This is my first post, Mrs retires in 2 weeks and we're off and Roaming!

https://rebelbatteries.com/product/lifepo4-12v-100ah-1280wh-bluetooth-enabled-rechargeable-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery/
Attached Thumbnails
Batteries resized.jpg  
ARoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #5

I am over on the DIYSolarforum.com which is Will Prowses website (search YouTube) and they pretty much discuss, dissect and pick apart all the batteries out there. I searched OSM as I had never heard bout them and there was only one thread started by the manufacturer from Nov 2020 so they look fairly new. They said they would like to send one to Will for evaluation but the thread just ends after 2 pages.

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/ho...battery.14665/

I’m currently gathering components to build my own 280ah Lifepo4 battery myself after doing some research, it’s not hard at all and a lot cheaper. Batteries are are ordered from China and should have them in a couple months.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:55 PM   #6
RPR

OSM is a China manufacturer.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:01 AM   #7

ithium-iron-phosphate-battery

Update- After posting a link to an old auction (duh!) I did find that Rebel battery, and it is still selling on e-bay. For some reason Rebel isn't in it's listing title. Currently at $339 with 16 hours to go.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-100AH-L...t/274777523088

The seller's website-
https://rebelbatteries.com/

The seller also has 8 Youtube videos, very informative-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCII...X3aAFegUSCBnJA

After lots of research and online comparisons I think these batteries are certainly worth considering. Plus a 5 year warranty!
Old 05-05-2021, 11:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I am over on the DIYSolarforum.com which is Will Prowses website (search YouTube) and they pretty much discuss, dissect and pick apart all the batteries out there. I searched OSM as I had never heard bout them and there was only one thread started by the manufacturer from Nov 2020 so they look fairly new. They said they would like to send one to Will for evaluation but the thread just ends after 2 pages.

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/ho...battery.14665/

I’m currently gathering components to build my own 280ah Lifepo4 battery myself after doing some research, it’s not hard at all and a lot cheaper. Batteries are are ordered from China and should have them in a couple months.
Saw those 2 pages on Will's forum. I reached out to OSM and was emailing back and forth. they stopped answering my questions after a while. I might have been getting too technical for them.
Meanwhile, I got a screaming deal on some AGM batteries and decided to get them. I will reevaluate lithium again in 4 or 5 years when these AGM batteries give out.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #9

I pulled the trigger and purchased 4 x 100 ah Ampere Time batteries. amazon's site shows a 5-year warranty. I felt a little safer with that and the price settled back to $509 per battery, down $30.00 each from a week ago. BIM and Converter upgrades are on their way now too.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:20 PM   #10

Lithium Iron Phosphate temp cutoff

Tpastorini-
Just so you know, the Ampere Time batteries do not appear to have low and high temp cutoff in the BMS (battery monitor system). Charging below freezing will destroy them if you will be experiencing freezing temps. You may want to verify this with the seller if you plan on using them in cold temps.

An Amazon customer review-

Does NOT have low temp cut off - beware!
By Chris Nowak on January 4, 2021 The bad:
- This does NOT have low temp cut off!! RVers, van dwellers, campers - DO NOT USE THIS BATTERY IN FREEZING TEMPS! Charging LiFePO4 will IMMEDIATELY and IRREPARABLY damage your battery! While they can be discharged to about 0F, charging should never happen under 32F. I drained the battery then "froze" it to 20F and it immediately took 25 amps charge! I contacted AmpereTime and this is the email they sent me back:
"We’re really sorry for the confusion.
The BMS in our battery has low temperature cut-off protection function, but if we set this function on our battery, the battery can neither charge nor discharge under 32F/0C. At the beginning, we had set up the low temperature cut-off function for our battery, but later many customers responded that they needed to be able to discharge under 32F/0C. After careful research, our team has decided to block this function.
Currently our battery can be charged at low temperature, but it is charged with a very small charging current. And we’ve used auto motive grade battery cells which have superior quality. Even if charging in low temperature environment, it will not damage the battery. And as what we’ve listed in the charging temperature, we don’t recommend charging under 32F/0C.
Our marketing team has an error in understanding this, which leads to inaccurate information shown on our product page. We’re very sorry for the misunderstanding and thank you for your info, and we’ve revised the inaccurate info on the product page."
Many other batteries on the market can discharge under 0F and only charge above 32F, so this limitation seems unique to this BMS. It took 25 amps at 20F, that's definitely not "very small charging current". It does look like some of the references to low temp cut off have been removed, but not all, and the responses to questions in the Q&A section from the Ampere Time remain. If you've purchased this battery, you need to make sure you have a kill switch on your chargers (alternator, solar, shore, etc) that you can kill charging if it's going to drop under 32F!
- Battery is glued shut so I can't tell if they're new cells or not. Also means if a cell goes bad or BMS dies the whole thing goes in the trash unless you want to get your sawzall out.
The good:
- Based on the lack of low temp cut off, I decided to return this battery. Customer service was good and they allowed me to return it for free, no hassle
Old 05-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #11

Great. Thanks for the heads up. I was just told to get batteries with BMS on board. I will probably be lucky in that I live in California and rarely will I ever be using the system in freezing temps. I will make sure that if we use it in those conditions, we are already plugged in and the batteries are fully charged.

I went back to the amazon site... looks like there is a new model (the one i ordered)... there are no reviews for it yet and amperetime.com is under construction.

the product description for the new model is....
Our LiFePO4 battery has built-in BMS (Battery Management System) to protect it from overcharge, over-discharge, over-current, and short circuit with excellent self-discharge rate. Operating Temperature: Charge: 0°C--50°C; Discharge: -20°C--60°C. Without memory effect, no matter what state the battery is, it can be used as soon as it is charged.

I am going to verify when i get it what that means.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:50 PM   #12

Ok. I just finished the battery swap to Lithium. The following was done:

1. replaced BIM with Lithium capable model. (Need to install switch will explain below)
2. Replaced converter to support lithium batteries. Very easy.
3. Replaced batteries with 100ah 12v Ampere time.

So, all told, it took me about 3 hours. One hour of that was spent fixing the Battery Disconnect Solenoid. Yes, it was explained to me that you CANNOT charge the Ampere Time batteries below 32 degrees. I live in California and my fix to that is to pull the breaker to the converter if I am plugged in and nights fall below 32. I will also install a switch to kill the ignition signal to the BIM so if I have to drive the RV, I will flick the switch and no charging until the temp increases. I have only used the RV a few days where the temp falls below freezing at night and turning off the converter seems to be a really easy fix.

I have pictures, but I guess I can't post them because my website is not HTTPS. PM me for pix.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:59 PM   #13

Lithium battery expense

Wow seems too expensive to bother anyway should out Lynac batteries designed for Canada cold as far as charging and discharging in cold weather
Photo by Lynac Lithium Technology on January 12, 2021.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:14 AM   #14

Leon,
It appears the Lynac Lithium batteries have a low temp cutoff in their BMS, but you still need an external battery heater of some type. Per their website-
Are heating options available?
We only provide the option to add heating pads to our Comm and Platinum Series batteries. But, we can provide an external heating system.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpietsch View Post
Has anyone purchased and used a Lithium battery from OSMbattery.com?

I would love to hear from someone on the quality.

Thanks
I bought 2 PCS battery packs from it, I wanna say it's petty good.
Scott1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:59 AM   #16

All batteries or their parts seem to come from China. Having said that, beware of implied warranties. The "cheap" batteries on Amazon generally have not had higher functionality with low and high temp cutoffs. That seems to be changing too as the market moves forward. The price is competitive with AGM given the life of these batteries. If you get a low price battery you either have to have them stored inside your heated area of the RV or not try to charge them below zero Fahrenheit. Some are willing to pay for the best relationship and stated warranty - Battleborn. There are others like SOK Battery that also has a good stated warranty and all the necessary features. They just added internal heaters and bluetooth. My installation cost me half of what Battleborn would have cost, but was a little more than the Amazon "cheaper" batteries. I'm not recommending anything - but do your research. A lot of people get by just fine with the cheapest lithium, as long as they know what they're getting and what they're doing. If you're planning on solar and boondocking for any amount of time lithium is a must.