Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2021, 06:09 AM   #1

Plan "B" - Downsizing

So we are 72 and 68. In relative good shape and spend about 8 to 9 months a year in our 2016 Seneca 37FS. We have modified, added and changed things that make it ours. The unit has served us well for 86k miles and about 1600 hours on the generator with about 1800 hours on the engine.

Currently, we are dealing with a broken rear slide. Parts are on order, but the guys at MH2GO, have helped us secure it in the in position, so we can use it as parts become available. The rear slide got stuck open at a campground and that is probably where we started thinking about the "next step" or "plan B'. I have always tried to be a self sufficient person, but the 20 times up and down the ladder to take the motors out of the rear slide and then securing it so we could get down the road, told me I can't keep doing this.

One thing we've learned, is that any RV with a "Swintek" (and I may have that spelled wrong) slide mechanism is a deal breaker. I've had 3 different RV's with slides and yes, they eventually all have problems. Its mechanical, it can break. But when it breaks it needs to be easily repaired. Long arms and little unaccessable motors 12 feet in the air, should not be part of the solution.

Looking ahead, we are considering going back to a travel trailer and pull vehicle. Probably won't happen right away, but if we are going to keep doing this, the time will come when we have to make a change. Have considered the heavy duty pickups with a quality trailer. The problem is the generator. Have had the twin Hondas in the past and they worked great. Our son still has them and uses them when boondocking at rodeos. That's a younger man's game of setting them up and hauling the extra fuel. Because of that, we have considered a smaller Class C, pulling a toy hauler or quality trailer. Our travels usually includes 1.5 inch scale steam locomotives and the associated rolling stock and equipment. That is probably the rub. Currently, a half ton pickup with a camper shell holds this equipment and is towed behind the Seneca. Great combination, but does it come down to just biting the bullet and have road service maintenance get us past these bumps in the road of broken slides and other problems?

We have been looking at Jayco SE 22 with a 4500 gas engine (that solves the generator problem) and a Toy Hauler trailer, but have not seen the quality and comfort in the Toy Haulers. The other option is a Heavy Duty Diesel Pickup and a 28 foot Eagle Travel Trailer, but then the generator concern pops up.

Looking for thoughts and other ideas. Anyone interested in wasting brain cells offering ideas for us to consider?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:17 AM   #2

Aging is one of those things we can prolong, but not fully pause, but I commend you on continuing to do what you love.

Don't forget, you can get dual fuel generators - gas and propane - this could extend your useable time between fuel ups. I don't have any experience with one, but I know they are an option.

As far as the rest of your downsizing situation, I wish you the best of luck in finding something that will keep you in the game. As a mechanical engineer, I can't understand why the manufacturers continue to use schwintech drive motors other than their own convenience of how small they are - but when they stop working - and it's guaranteed they will more often than a traditional bottom rack unit - it's a serious issue for most owners. I am definitely not a fan.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #3
Site Team

I am interested because we are beating the same horse! Right now we are 65 and 78 (me). We have had many different rv's except got a class C and love the lifestyle and hope to do it until we can't. My current rig which we love the space and comfort is getting long in the tooth and so far I have been able to keep it in tip top shape. We are hesitant to down size to a small class C due mainly to the indecision between buying a newer rig and then me not being able to keep on. We almost went for it a few years back but family sickness put it on hold until this time.

I too have 1 Schwintec slide with never a problem that I could not repair in 11 years but washing, maintenance and climbing ladders are getting a real pain.

We keep thinking fate may have to make the decision for us!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:04 AM   #4

One thing I would consider is renting similar unit for a week to see if you like the handling, as it will behave a lot differently than your Seneca.

As for a generator setup if you go with a TT. Consider what is your power requirements are, ie AC, just general power? Consider installing a custom trailer hitch to the back of the TT, with an Aluminum deck. Then install and securing the generator to it. This way you never have to move it.

I have a Champion 3500W Dual Fuel generator with electric start. Overall I like it. It does everything we need. What I do not like; the weight (100#). It takes two of us to get it in and out of the truck. My preference would have been to go with dual 2500watt dual fuel. But non were available at the time. They are light weight (40#). They would have fit on a shelf in the garage when not needed. I have only used my generator on propane and I have had zero maintenance issues.

Good Luck,

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:10 AM   #5

Before down sizing from a lifestyle you enjoy. I would look into modifying your slide to accept a better mechanism.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #6

I love our Class C, but we're still relatively young, so we can still "deal" with that stuff relatively easily. We came out of a TT into the C because of the convenience factor, and the ability to be completely self-contained if we wish. Plus DW likes to be able to use the potty, and I hate stopping.

DW's parents got completely out of the game for many of the reasons OP listed. Now they're looking to get back in thinking a "new" rig will give them fewer problems to deal with (even though they had relatively few problems with the rig they just sold). They won't listen to me.

All of that being said, if you go with a trailer, remember the hitching/unhitching, which can be more or less difficult than hooking up a toad. Plus leveling and setting up, plus less convenient access to the "living quarters", etc...

I looked at putting my generator for the TT on a rack on the back, and would have done it if we hadn't traded on a Class C. I HATED lifting that thing in/out of the pickup, dealing with ventilation issues if I wanted to run it from the bed of the truck, etc. The hauling of extra fuel never bothered me too much, but I would have made provisions for that if I had installed a "tail rack" for it. Having it secured on the rack would've given me all the convenience I needed in that department. So from my POV, the generator can be "dealt with" relatively easily.

If you end up looking at a rig with a Schwintek slide system, just make sure you can "emergency deploy or retract" from the ground. I can in my Class C if needed, even though in over 3 years I've had no problems (furiously knocking on wood). Also, it helps if it's not a "large slide". Seems manufacturers have LOTS of problems with bigger slides on Schwintek mechanisms, the smaller slides (mine is only the bedroom slide, the larger "living room" slide is on an in-floor system) have fewer problems.

I also agree that you may not like the way a C drives/handles. Coming from a Seneca, you'll likely be pretty disappointed. They don't handle as well, can't tow as much, have A LOT less CCC, and gas engines. Like I said, I LOVE ours ... for now. It fits our family, usage and needs very well right now. But eventually I'll be looking to get into a Super C as we get closer to retirement.

Best of luck in your decision, and I commend you on your effort to stay in the game. It's been almost a year since the out-laws sold theirs, and I'm still disappointed they didn't put in more effort to stick with it; it was something they loved doing...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #7

The saga continues. Visited Van City of St. Louis, yesterday and got some very honest answers. Everything smaller than what we have really doesn't meet the ideas of what we want to do. The "B's" can't pull our Silverado, especially loaded with 1000lbs. of train equipment. To have the 8K generator and the storage we have, we need something as big as the Seneca.

So that puts us in the category of a larger pickup truck pulling a travel trailer or toy hauler. I guess we have to admit that we spoiled by our luxury. The Seneca, even with the broken rear slide is more space, power and storage than anything else we look at.

The "Saga" continues , I guess, with the caveat that the next time something breaks I have to buckle down, give in and call a repair facility, rather than try to fix it myself.

We are so blessed.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 06-11-2021, 03:47 PM   #8

I'll go back to my out-laws on that one. They were concerned about the mileage in their rig. It had no leaks, a working generator, great floorplan for them, on the Chevy Workhorse chassis. They were concerned it would need front end work (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc) and a brake job. Along with a few of the other 100,000K mile service stuff. So they sold it thinking they would maybe get a new one so they didn't have to do (pay for) all of those repairs.

They started looking at Class Bs and started freaking out about the prices.

I said "you know what's cheaper than buying a new rig? FIXING the one you already OWN!" I don't get them. That rig was literally perfect for them in almost every way. It just needed a little TLC and some maintenance and a few updates....

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:56 AM   #9

My wife and I are both 65 now. We have owned all types of trailers and pop up’s. We went from a fifth wheel to a hybrid. The fifth wheel was the best! Bur do to health we had to sell it and the truck. After a year of on rv we did hotels. Not for us! We purchased a hybrid. Downsize was a big help. No we are looking into a class c. This forum is a big help getting the information we need.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'll go back to my out-laws on that one. They were concerned about the mileage in their rig. It had no leaks, a working generator, great floorplan for them, on the Chevy Workhorse chassis. They were concerned it would need front end work (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc) and a brake job. Along with a few of the other 100,000K mile service stuff. So they sold it thinking they would maybe get a new one so they didn't have to do (pay for) all of those repairs.

They started looking at Class Bs and started freaking out about the prices.

I said "you know what's cheaper than buying a new rig? FIXING the one you already OWN!" I don't get them. That rig was literally perfect for them in almost every way. It just needed a little TLC and some maintenance and a few updates....
You are spot on and I think the same applies to TVs. The rare times I get hit with a bill to replace something or fix a leak on my 22-year-old F250 PSD, I start drooling over the new trucks. Then I look at the sticker price and THE posts here about DEF issues etc. No, I’ll keep the old girl fixed up and save the cash for other things!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #11

10 October, 2021 - Carlyle, Illinois
I guess its time for an update. We've had a busy and great Summer and early Fall. We had a Canadian Maritime Trip planned, but that got cancelled. This time we made plans and reservations in May, in case the cancellation would happen and we spent July and August, extensively exploring, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, plus some upstate eastern New York. Saw friends and headed toward Grand Rapids, Michigan at the end of August. Found a Rockwood Signature Travel Trailer 8329BS, that we felt would be easier for us, and made a deal with TerrytownRV/MH2GO. Drove home and began to unpack the Seneca. 6 years and over 90,000 miles and you can gather a lot of memories. We had an obligation to have our teenage Grandchildren watch us, while their parents were out of town, the week after Labor Day. This was in Carlock, Illinois, by Bloomington, and thank GOD we had that week. It took all of it to get pictures off walls and the last of the personal stuff out. The next week, we were back in Grand Rapids and completing the deal. I forgot to mention, the 2018 Chevy 1/2 ton Toad was traded in on a 2022 3/4 ton. That had to be driven to Grand Rapids by my bride. Its a lot more fun to ride together.
With the deal complete, we headed home and immediately packed for the shake down cruise back to upstate New York. We had 4 days to pack. That trip was a fast, busy 10 days and basically without incident, except for not being able to find anything.

So, we owned the Seneca "Low Key Hideaway" for within 2 weeks of being exactly 6 years. By the time we delivered it back to MH2GO, it had a right at 92,000 miles on it and a lot of memories. What great fun! The Rockwood is just about the same size and floorplan of our old Artic Fox. The 3/4 ton 2022 Chevy pickup is white, just like the 2009 was. We head for Florida on November 1st and the adventure continues. The new trailer is called "a lower key". Yep, we are still boat people.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #12

I was wondering one day what you had decided to do. Thanks for the update!
Best of luck with your new units and stay safe!

p.s. Once a boat person always a boat person!

Bruce
Old 10-14-2021, 06:47 AM   #13

Great to see you finding a way to continue RVing. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:18 AM   #14

There is no perfect. I'm still looking for the perfect luggage too. But so far I like the compromise I made with the Jayco Melbourne 24LP. Diesel, so it's better for mileage and towing up to 5k should be fine. Rides nice (except in strong side winds). I do have a large Schwintek slide which is what makes the rig so roomy. However, all the expressed concerns on these slides are well taken. I too have seen the horror stories.
bluztoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:17 AM   #15

Sounds like you have the perfect setup for you. I wonder if the schwintek could be replaced from scratch?- New frames, motors, gears, tracks, rollers, controllers- everything to make it new. Seems like that would be far less money than any rig change.
I say that because we are dealing with a cranky schwintek and that makes your post and the comments very helpful to us. We will be facing the same issues.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:05 AM   #16

This post really jump-started my thinking. There are many of us about the same age (I'm 72) who enjoy the same things, and we are trying to make it work for us. We just got a 2022 Greyhawk for family reasons. I already miss the hybrid. Over the years we have had 4 hybrids. Jayco's X19H, my favorite, was 20' 8" long - easy to tow. In that 21' feet were two queen beds (after setup) and a full size dry bath.

I hope everyone finds the perfect rig for themselves and enjoys RVing for as long as they can. I met a couple some years ago that were going north to celebrate their golden anniversary. They had been full timers for almost 20 years. He told me there was no other lifestyle that appealed to them and he would continue until he thought he "might be a detrement on the highway".
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote