Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2023, 11:57 PM   #1

QD8000 bay

Found a few items when a had my generator out for repairs.

The wire lugs used to connect the 12 volt circuit to the unit are not sealed. I replayed the ground wire as it was barely attached. When I cut the wire I found it almost completely corroded. I also cut off 2 foot of the positive wire to get to a point that the wire was not tarnished.

A fair amount of the wires were cut when they made the lugs. One lug going to the 12v shutoff solenoid completely fell off while disconnecting the batteries.

There is a fairly large grouping of ground wires up between the wet bay and the generator. Impossible to inspect and repair if there ever was a problem. An additional group is also found in the back of the battery bay but these are serviceable

The wire drawing shows a fuse on the generator 12v positive wire. I can not find this fuse. I am installing a victron lynx distribution bar and will be adding and moving a fuses to this unit.

Photo of old ground location low and exposed to road grime and new higher location. It would be nice if they would use a stud welder to add ground points instead of these overtightened sheet metal screws.
Attached Thumbnails
6A45CEBB-D2E3-4E9F-B5D3-3566B1D0C677.jpg   F2343D5B-FD75-4984-9996-D48E720A824D.jpg   7155BE32-589F-48B1-8276-4819CD7A1A76.jpg   FE344012-3FDA-453A-8342-CB4EDF11F6FF.jpg  
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 01:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Found a few items when a had my generator out for repairs.

The wire lugs used to connect the 12 volt circuit to the unit are not sealed. I replayed the ground wire as it was barely attached. When I cut the wire I found it almost completely corroded. I also cut off 2 foot of the positive wire to get to a point that the wire was not tarnished.

A fair amount of the wires were cut when they made the lugs. One lug going to the 12v shutoff solenoid completely fell off while disconnecting the batteries.

There is a fairly large grouping of ground wires up between the wet bay and the generator. Impossible to inspect and repair if there ever was a problem. An additional group is also found in the back of the battery bay but these are serviceable

The wire drawing shows a fuse on the generator 12v positive wire. I can not find this fuse. I am installing a victron lynx distribution bar and will be adding and moving a fuses to this unit.

Photo of old ground location low and exposed to road grime and new higher location. It would be nice if they would use a stud welder to add ground points instead of these overtightened sheet metal screws.
Thanks for the info Paul. Could you go into some detail as to how you got the gen out of the bay?
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 02:25 PM   #3

I am not sure how he removed his but I bought one of these to pull one out of an older motorhome.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...art-60438.html
Old 03-30-2023, 02:46 PM   #4

The cart would have been great and looks like something that I could use around the house.

First thing I did was remove the electrical connections and fuel lines. I then unbolted the unit, I broke two studs in the base and had the shop drill the out, I did not get them tapped, I used grade 8 bolts when I replaced it. I then had to drain the oil and replace the fumoto drain with a standard plug, refilled the unit in case they started it with out checking the oil level. Removed the muffler.

I used an old pallet and added some HDPE plastic on the top to help reduce the friction. I have compact tractor with forks on it so I just raised the pallet to the correct level and placed leveling blocks under the pallet to make it stable when I pulled on the generator. I thought I was going to need to use a come along or winch but I was able to just reach in and pull the unit out onto the pallet. Once on the pallet I disconnect the control wiring and tried to remove the power wires from the terminal strip but could not so I cut them. Disconnected the electric fittings and lifted the pallet into my truck.

Reinstalling would have been easier but I started to look at the 12 vdc wiring and decided that it needed to be cleaned up. The unit just slid back in and I reversed the process. After all that it still did not turn over and I found the 15 amp fuse 3 in the control head had opened. Replaced that and unit fired right up.

Attached is photos of stater and inverter both of which were fried. We try not use use the unit when driving in the rain but apparently the amount of salt on this roads this year really did a number on it. I am slowing building a larger system like Rustynuts has so I can power everything in the rv from the batteries, and keep the generator for stationary usage.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2510.jpg   IMG_2511.jpg   IMG_2534.jpg  
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote