Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2020, 04:10 PM   #1

Seneca pdi

Curious if anyone has a PDI checklist specific to the Seneca. Looks like we’re getting a 2020 HJ!!
Wandrews530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
Drv

I have been a complete "looky lou" on the forum as I have researched over the past couple years on the Seneca. I did not come across any Seneca specific PDI list. (doesnt mean they dont exist) I used one of the general PDI sheets posted on the forum, coupled with the knowledge acquired reading many of the great posts regarding the Seneca by other forum members. Doing this allowed me to check specific items that I knew to be potential concerns. Personal hands on experience with my parents 2014 31Ul Precept purchased new helped as well.
If you have not already done so, do a search for Seneca in the search box and see the various items that come up. I can give you a run down of the items on my Accolade that came up in hopes they help.

Check your Dinette slide operation specifically, run it in and out. Look at flooring to make sure no marks are being left on floor. Go outside, with the dinette slide in(closed), check to make sure its square in the opening. I say this because mine is about 1/4" lower in front then the back. The "picture frame corner" is touching the belt line in lower left corner versus the lower right rear corner being a 1/4" or above belt line. I know this to be an issue specifically because another forum member had the concern on his 37TS. My parents Precept with a different slide mechanism had a similar issue. I don't trust my dealer to fix so it will be a Factory visit at some point.

My "automotive polyurethane" bonded front cap window leaked, found this out on maiden voyage from dealer in rain storm.

Check the gaskets on your side camera housings, mine are dry rotted and my driver side camera is waterlogged. Parts should be headed my way.

Check the trim where the front cap meets the main house, is it pulling away or buckled anywhere. Could be a possible issue that has come up with others on the Seneca. (mine was fine)

Check your slam latch cargo doors, some do not latch and can fly open. They should close and catch the first time or they need to be adjusted. Check your locks on the cargo doors themselves. Mine were pretty corroded and I could barely get the key in. My unit was at a dealer by the ocean so that may be a geographic location issue. I lubricated and they have been 90% better.

If yours has a dryer vent cut out, check the dryer vent cover outside. Mine had all three of the mounting tabs broke on the bottom. Replacement being sent to me.

Check and operate your Equalizer Jacks as there can be electrical issues that cause system to alarm randomly, become inoperable. There is a known fix described in length referencing a diode in another thread.(sorry dont exactly know how to past link to thread) Mine will need the electrical fix as the symptoms are exactly the same in the thread. Dealer said it was a ignition Freightliner issue its not.

Check to make sure all the wood "buttons" that are used to cover over screws in wood trim are still in place. I was missing two above my microwave.

There is a bracket clamp that is on the Engine itself that is made of thin metal and poorly supported and it will fail. I will try and come back and post link. Mine was fine at dealer with the unit having 900 or so delivery miles. Bracket/clamped failed on the 1k mile maiden voyage home from dealer.

The general PDI checklist posted on the forum will cover most everything else.
All in all the unit was heads and shoulders better assembled then my parents 2014 Precept was. It is still a motorhome and frankly there are things I still shake my head at, but I knew what I was getting into this time and was as prepared as I could be.
Hope this helps.
Drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:06 PM   #3

I don't have a document that I can share, only the concept of :

Run everything on Shore power (that means every item on the Seneca, TV, Microwave, Slide, toilet, faucet, dump-valve (make them hook it up to a dump station ) water connection to city water, Cable TV, Satellite TV, Broadcast TV, DVD, AC, Heater, Fireplace, Oven... EVERYTHING)

Then have them put it on Generator - and do it again - EVERYthing! and find out what and why it does not work.

Then run it on Inverter power with no Generator or shore power - and do it again - EVERYthing.

Then disconnect the City water and put it on pump/tank systems and DO IT AGAIN!

Those are the 4 primary modes you will operate your Seneca (or any RV) in - and will find out what really is not supposed to work / is not working properly on each mode.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:55 PM   #4

Have the person giving the demo physically show you the location of all major components. Ie Where is the chassis battery circuit breaker, where are the slide controllers, how do you time a swintek slide, how does the generator auto start work and where it is located. Where is the inverter and how do you reset it? Where are the low point drains?

Good luck and enjoy the new rig. Hopefully we all can get out and use these coaches soon.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote