Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2022, 10:40 AM   #1

Weird Question - House Battery Drain/Loss

Hey All,

Before I go through the preverbal wait on the dealership, I was curious if anyone had a similar issue.

Background: My house batteries seemed to never have enough juice to crank over my Onan 10K generator. The power drains, and the Vega system shuts down and then I end up using app, and dual battery button near the keys to use the cassis batteries to help assist.

This weekend, when we were boondocking I arrived to the site and tried to fire off the generator and lost all power. Finally was able to use the running chassis, and had some of the house battery and was able to get it running.

While driving home, a few bounces and we lost power in the rear (noticed because of the radio), however I THINK that the inverter still showed power.

Any insight? I pulled out the battery tray and all connections seemed tight but it is a spiderweb of wiring so didnt know what to look for next.
Shodan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:56 AM   #2

First thing is you need to get your batteries "Load Tested" to see how much charge they are actually able to hold then we can troubleshoot from their. Also, make sure all your ground connections are metal to metal and tight.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:40 AM   #3

What year is your MH?

How old are your batteries? Are they still the OEM batteries? If so, they are not a maintenance free battery. When was the last time you checked the fluid levels?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:14 PM   #4

This probably has nothing to do with your problem but it is something to check.

When first turning over my generator it would momentarily hesitate like the voltage was a bit low. It would always start after the initial groan. Since it always started I just left it alone.

While tracing a different electrical problem I discovered that the ground cable to the generator was loose. Tightened it and the problem with the generator starting disappeared.

The moral of the story - always check the ground connections to the chassis frame. This includes the battery connection to ground as well as the fuse panel connection to ground. Actually while your underneath it wouldn't hurt to glance at any ground. They can loosen up after time.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 04:00 PM   #5

What is your year and model?

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 09:58 PM   #6

2022 Entegra 37L (Sorry I guess that might have helped).
Old 11-11-2022, 09:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
This probably has nothing to do with your problem but it is something to check.

When first turning over my generator it would momentarily hesitate like the voltage was a bit low. It would always start after the initial groan. Since it always started I just left it alone.

While tracing a different electrical problem I discovered that the ground cable to the generator was loose. Tightened it and the problem with the generator starting disappeared.

The moral of the story - always check the ground connections to the chassis frame. This includes the battery connection to ground as well as the fuse panel connection to ground. Actually while your underneath it wouldn't hurt to glance at any ground. They can loosen up after time.
Thanks - IS there a standard place that these might have been run generally speaking?
Old 11-11-2022, 10:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
First thing is you need to get your batteries "Load Tested" to see how much charge they are actually able to hold then we can troubleshoot from their. Also, make sure all your ground connections are metal to metal and tight.

Thank you - The batteries are brand new and due to a similar issue previously I upgraded to these...likely the others were fine and there is a connection/grounding issue, but wanted to get more brains involved.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:04 PM   #9

I know that previously I had a grounding issue with the AC Units and LED Lights in the roof on the rear bumper area. Any ideas if there is a standard place that the house might be grounded to or is it sporadic wherever the tech felt like putting in a self tapper :-)
Old 11-11-2022, 10:39 PM   #10

It sounds like a loose connection causing the issue. There is a a hidden electrical panel in the compartment just aft of the battery compartment, look for a carpeted box, remove the screws and cover and check all these connections. Many people have found loose connections in this area.
Attached Thumbnails
64C52B0A-1CD3-42D6-81F8-1A1AD6864EA9.jpeg   2DA098DA-22D4-4815-B920-F4FA3F6A8E3C.jpeg  

Old 11-12-2022, 10:55 AM   #11

Thanks @Rusty - unfortunately those look fairly tight. Ill go crawl under the rig to track down any grounds next.
Old 11-12-2022, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan01 View Post
Thanks @Rusty - unfortunately those look fairly tight. Ill go crawl under the rig to track down any grounds next.
There are two spots all the grounds attach, and it is common for the screws to break that are holding them. One is in the back above the hitch and the other is up under and behind the entry steps.

Here are before and after pics of mine. We had issues on our first trip and I fixed it using a Blue Sea Bus Bar and and heat shrink crimp on terminals.
Attached Thumbnails
D74CD508-5254-4F78-AEA7-CA5DD7B60567.jpg   9AA90D4A-0E3B-4302-BFB0-3B48989018D5.jpg  

Old 11-12-2022, 11:36 AM   #13

Thanks for that - Dug around under and nothing loose or hanging around.