Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2022, 01:23 PM   #1

Wet bay heater

In our new 37K the main basement storage that has carpet has a vent directly below the main coach heater that works very well (will be about 5 - 10 degrees warmer than coach). There is a vent in the back of the basement that leads toward the wet bay and I was hoping it might send some of the heat that way but much to my disappointment it doesn’t do anything. The wet bay and the other two bays with tanks remain outside temperature.

My question is what are good options for a small space heater for the wet bay? I bought a small 500w ceramic heater but it says not for wet spaces.

Thanks in advance

2022 Entegra Accolade 37K
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
GibbysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:40 PM   #2

Expensive but very nice heaters with built in temperature controls. I just got one to make sure my new Lithium batteries stay warm in freezing weather.

https://www.xtremeheaters.com/

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:37 PM   #3

We put a AC small heater in the rear three bays, mounted so that they blow the heated air towards the drivers side of the compartments. The Wet bay gets a direct warm air draft from the heater on the other side, keeping that entire compartment in the 50's - even when the outside temperatures are in the low teens.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We put a AC small heater in the rear three bays, mounted so that they blow the heated air towards the drivers side of the compartments. The Wet bay gets a direct warm air draft from the heater on the other side, keeping that entire compartment in the 50's - even when the outside temperatures are in the low teens.
Where do you power them up from?

2022 Entegra Accolade 37K
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
GibbysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbysWorld View Post
Where do you power them up from?
I added a separate 20A circuit and outdoor receptacle to power them in winter, and to have outdoor power in summer. We even have used that outlet to power our friends trailer.

I posted pictures and a better description in this thread:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ays-52189.html

Old 01-16-2022, 01:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Do you secure the heater or get one with a turnover switch?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Do you secure the heater or get one with a turnover switch?
actually both-

I mounted them in a manner that they discharge the heated air directly in the space where a tunnel effect naturally occurs - so the air can travel with the fewest obstacles and resistance to the other side of the unit. I also removed the "beauty panel" that is intended to hide the mess of equipment, wires, pipes and hoses from view - since this also prevents the airflow of heated air to circulate back into the storage bay on each side. The fan blows heated air down the tunnel next to the tank, and right on the back side of the wet-bay manifold and on the water pump.

During the most frigid nights, I use an Accurite remote thermostat and hang it in the wet bay on the grey water valve handle. It would be about 10" below all of the critical plumbing and a good location to monitor.

I chose to use the sheet metal under the heater, it depresses the safety switch (If it were to ever fall off the mounting and tip over) It also gives me lots of flexability in attaching it to the side of the cabinet, acts as a heat shield if it were ever to get really hot and most importantly, we can travel with our bay heaters running on Generator power in very cold weather.

We are now on 5 years running with these... When it's winter, I just plug them in and set the temperature knob on the heater, set them on medium wattage (500/1000/1500) and close the bay doors. If it gets 25F or 10F outside, they are protecting our plumbing, tanks and our stuff in the storage bays.

Old 02-16-2022, 04:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Expensive but very nice heaters with built in temperature controls. I just got one to make sure my new Lithium batteries stay warm in freezing weather.

https://www.xtremeheaters.com/
Rustynuts,
Slowpke mentioned that he mounts his heater on the other side of the coach and blows the hot air thru the passage way over to his wet bay area. Do you do the same?
Also, where do you mount a heater to heat your battery compartment? Mine is so cramped and crowded, I can barely get jumper cables in to give them a jump start.
Thanks,
Damian

Damian & Sally Neeld
2018 Seneca HJ
Carmel, IN
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneeld52 View Post
Rustynuts,
Slowpke mentioned that he mounts his heater on the other side of the coach and blows the hot air thru the passage way over to his wet bay area. Do you do the same?
Also, where do you mount a heater to heat your battery compartment? Mine is so cramped and crowded, I can barely get jumper cables in to give them a jump start.
Thanks,
Damian
I heat my wet bay with the gas furnace, I added a tee under the bed that goes down in the passenger side of the wet bay and then 90’s and blows across the wet bay onto the back of the water panel. I have a gate valve that I can shut the duct into the bay when it’s not needed.

When I recently switched to Lifepo4 batteries, I moved them into the main pass-thru bay area and they need no venting and are maintenance free. This is where I have the Xtreme heater to heat the whole area as we also have a gray tank in this area.
Attached Thumbnails
F3812D28-7285-4620-AF3D-9D650B1DFCF5.jpg   7D342852-213D-43A2-9538-D61D35767065.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote