Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2022, 05:00 PM   #1

14.7 volts on solar charge controller

Our 100 watt solar panel and charge controller was installed for us some time ago. We have two deep cycle 6 volt batteries.
Normally the charge controller has been reading 13.6 v when on shore power or hooked up to the tow vehicle, and around 12.5 when running things on battery in overcast weather.
But we're experiencing a heat wave and we're parked in an open area. When we arrived back this afternoon, the controller reported 14.7 volts.
We're concerned that the solar charge controller is not set up correctly. Could this be damaging the batteries?
FionaGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:00 PM   #2

14.7 VDC is very common to see in an automotive 12V application, so no damage to batteries in my opinion. In my solar / shore power experience, if something seems off, turn everything off, unplug, disconnect batteries, let the system rest for a little bit. Then hook everything back up.

I have a 2022 264BH with factory solar package. I heard my fridge beeping and flashing red one day. The voltage was around 16.5 VDC and the 12V fridge went into safe mode. Solar and shore power were not talking correctly to each other until I totally unplugged and started over. No problems since.

Good luck!
1911Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:32 PM   #3

13.6 - 14.7 is a normal range, and depends on the state of charge of the battery. The lower the charge, the higher the rate.

My solar system charges at a lower rate on cloudy days, but it still charges. In fact, I get charging as long as the panel has less than about a 1 inch snow load.

If you get only 12.5 volts on a cloudy day, it means its not charging at all and something is not working correctly.

On a side note, look at your solar charger for the data. If you are looking at a digital voltmeter stuck in a cigarette plug, forget it. The last 2 I bought were off by a lot.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote