Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2021, 07:50 AM   #1

Exclamation 1st Outing - Back home to troubleshoot!

Hello everybody! This forum seems like it has a great group of super helpful people. After researching my issues, I think I just need a confirmation and some quick tips?! Looks like a lot, but simple questions I think? (fyi - all fuses look good)

2012 Jayco White Hawk 28 DSBH

1. When I am shore-connected, everything works great except the 12v cig outlet under the main control panel above the sink at entry door. That gets no power . Any ideas how to pull it off to check wires or replace?

2. General hookup/disconnect question. Can you tell me the order of operations when dis/connecting 7-pin truck connector and shore power? a) I assume all the jacks (tongue, stabilizer) run only on battery - b) so should the truck stay connected & running until all the jacks are down and leveled, then disconnect and plug in shore power? c) Do the jacks eat a lot of juice if i just run on the battery alone? d) do I need to make sure the truck is disconnected before connecting shore?

3. The manual says not to use converters and always connect to at least 120v, 30a. I assume this is due to the air conditioner primarily? If I don't run air, will it hurt anything to convert so I can plug in to a standard house 20amp circuit with a very heavy duty short extension cord? Just so I can keep the fridge cool and some lights on when packing up?

Looking forward to more camping this year!!!
GT Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:43 AM   #2

Welcome aboard!

120V power, that is easy. You are correct, if you are connected to a 20 amp outlet, you need to be careful what you are running. I have been able to run my AC off my garage outlet. I do not like doing it as my "cheap dog-bone" adaptor gets very warm. But I have done it to make it tolerable when loading in the heat of the summer. I just limit the run time to under an hour. If I had a better dog bone, it might be "ok". If you pull to much power, you will pop the circuit breaker for the garage outlet. Not a big deal. FYI, always keep the TT plugged in or make sure to disconnect the battery when not in use. There are a number of parasites power draws, that can drain a battery down within a few weeks.

General hookup; Once I am level side to side, I always chock my wheels front and back, before disconnecting. After that it really does not matter to much, especially if you are connected to shore power. If I am boon docking, I tend to keep the 7 pin connected as long as I can to trickle in a tiny bit of extra power. I suspect the slide out pulls the most power. but it only goes in/out once. The Awning might be the biggest overall power draw, if you bring it in/out every time you leave, or want to use it.

Cig lighter aux outlet. Does it work when your not on shore power? I suspect not.
  • 1st a loose wire behind the unit.
  • Blown fuse. My AUX has a fuse (glass barrel fuse??) immediately behind the AUX outlet.
In either case, remove the AUX outlet, and use a multimeter to check the wires to determine in you have power to the outlet.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:26 PM   #3

#3 is what I do at home for charging the house batteries, running lights, pre-cooling the refrigerator, running a small electric heater, etc. I just make sure that I don't exceed the 15 amp capacity of the receptacle in my garage. In my estimation, the only "risk" is popping the house breaker on that circuit and having to reset it.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:22 PM   #4

#2, I stay connected to running car to run tongue jack if I will not be on AC.
#3, I carry the dog bone connecter and a 50 amp connector. I can run on any as I have the window AC but if on a 20 amp circuit it is AC or microwave or space heater one at a time. It is fine for maintaining batteries, lights and the microwave. It will not fire a 30 amp AC for long and will be at low voltage which is not good for any AC.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote