Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Modesto
Posts: 39
2015 Jayco Whitehawk Travel Trailer

We are new to this forum and this is our first post. We recently purchased a 2015 Jayco Whitehawk 24RKS. It sits up a little higher than most travel trailers and we get a little nervous every when staying in it. I have two large blocks of wood to stabilize the electric jack when fully extended. Is there a better way to stabilize and secure the an this. Thank you for your assistance.

Travelers
__________________

Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,243
Are also using wheel chocks and the corner stabilizers? Using blocks to allow the corners to tension before full extension is equally important as the blocks under the tongue jack.

The only other thing would be to add X-Chocks between the wheels.

My 29QBH sits pretty high too, but with chocks and corner stabilizers its pretty secure.
__________________

__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Murff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 2,116
Hey Travelers,

Our 2015 White Hawk was the same. Easy fix, just see this thread:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...bar-33456.html

Murff
__________________
Murff
2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2011 F150 Non EcoBoost (5.0)
Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
dmward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 353
Like clubhouse said, you need to have your stabilizers down and wheels chocked.

It will still rock a bit, but it ain't going anywhere.
__________________
-Derek

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
dmward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Hey Travelers,

Our 2015 White Hawk was the same. Easy fix, just see this thread:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...bar-33456.html

Murff
Those arm stabilizers look like a great idea. I've been looking at the X-chocks for a little while.. how many do you use (1 or 2)?
__________________
-Derek

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelers View Post
We are new to this forum and this is our first post. We recently purchased a 2015 Jayco Whitehawk 24RKS. It sits up a little higher than most travel trailers and we get a little nervous every when staying in it. I have two large blocks of wood to stabilize the electric jack when fully extended. Is there a better way to stabilize and secure the an this. Thank you for your assistance.

Travelers
Congratulations on your Whitehawk and welcome to the JOF.

There is no risk having the jack extended to level the unit (except blowing the jack fuse if you go too far). BUT, you do need to chock the wheels to be sure the unit doesn't roll.

If you are nervous about the normal movement of the trailer when getting in or out or moving around, then there are a couple of things to help reduce that. Using blocks under the tongue jack and the stabilizer jacks help and using 'x-chocks' the wedge between the tires on each side help.

After you do those usual, low-tech things, there is more you can do. But maybe after a bit, the normal movement will not make you nervous. If it does, let the group know and you'll receive LOTS of ideas.
__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescues Eydie (min Schnauzer) Steve RIP (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights '15, 90 nights '16, 70 nights '17 so far)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mid-Mi
Posts: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
Those arm stabilizers look like a great idea. I've been looking at the X-chocks for a little while.. how many do you use (1 or 2)?
You use 2, one on each side of the trailer. BUT make sure you use regular wheel chocks to secure the trailer from possibly rolling before unhooking the tv. The X-chocks should only be installed once the trailer is chocked, unhooked, and leveled. After that you can set the X-chocks. I usually set ours after getting the all the stabilizer jacks set, slides out, and the water/electric hooked up. The cooler the tires are before setting the X-chocks they longer they will stay tight, as they will "loosen" some over time.

Travelers,

Are the two large blocks stacked one on top of the other? If so, I would suggest not stacking them like that if they are about the same size. May add to the slight rocking. If I stack blocks under the tongue jack I make sure the bottom block is larger than the one on top: 4x6 or 6x6 on top of a 2x10 that is a little longer. Or a 4x6 on top of 2-6x6 blocks sitting next to each other with the 4x6 perpendicular to the 6x6's.

As mentioned, make sure to chock the wheels properly. I set one on each side, the "roll" the trailer into the chocks, set the e-brake, then place the other chock on each side, then let the trailer settle into the wheel chocks.
__________________
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
You use 2, one on each side of the trailer. BUT make sure you use regular wheel chocks to secure the trailer from possibly rolling before unhooking the tv. The X-chocks should only be installed once the trailer is chocked, unhooked, and leveled. After that you can set the X-chocks. I usually set ours after getting the all the stabilizer jacks set, slides out, and the water/electric hooked up. The cooler the tires are before setting the X-chocks they longer they will stay tight, as they will "loosen" some over time.

Travelers,
My procedure is slightly different: Because my slide is over the wheels, the x-chocks go on before the slide goes out. Otherwise I'd have to slither in on my belly... not fun and not a pretty sight.

If staying a few days and I find that the curb side x-chocks have loosened, I will slide under the slide and tighten them.
__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescues Eydie (min Schnauzer) Steve RIP (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights '15, 90 nights '16, 70 nights '17 so far)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mid-Mi
Posts: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
My procedure is slightly different: Because my slide is over the wheels, the x-chocks go on before the slide goes out. Otherwise I'd have to slither in on my belly... not fun and not a pretty sight.

If staying a few days and I find that the curb side x-chocks have loosened, I will slide under the slide and tighten them.
That's the way I should set the X-chocks also, but the slide is usually out (my wife helping. Lol) by the time I am ready to set the X-chocks up.... Oh well... At least I have help, right! Our twin boys used to help crank the scissor jacks down, but that job has lost it's fun I guess for them.
__________________
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Murff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
Those arm stabilizers look like a great idea. I've been looking at the X-chocks for a little while.. how many do you use (1 or 2)?
Two come in the box. I have one each on opposite corners along with the BAL X-chocks. Cures a good 90% of the rock & roll.

Murff
__________________

__________________
Murff
2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2011 F150 Non EcoBoost (5.0)
Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.