Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2021, 10:17 AM   #1
KHR

2018 Jayflight 21QB - Inverter for Lithium??

I have a 2018 Jay Flight 21QB and am looking at changing over to a lithium battery. Called Jayco and asked if a lithium battery would work with my electrical system and was bluntly told - “No!”. Tried to get more information and they said they weren’t able to give any help because that would be a modification and they don’t offer help on modifications.

Anybody have any experience doing this? What is required? Do you have to upgrade the charging system/inverter? What kind of cost are we looking at? So many questions, so little personal experience with this type of thing. Would greatly appreciate your help and suggestions - THANKS!

I’ll give you a little back story. We boon dock every summer and consistently have battery issues. Bought a 100 watt solar panel and that helps, but still unable to do what we want. We have all LED lights and have quit using them and have gone to rechargeable lantern and flashlight when we boon dock. The only things using battery power is the electronics on the refrigerator, a tiny bit of water pump (mainly use water out of 6 gallon storage containers) and the CO2/propane leak detector. We consistently have to run our generator to keep battery charged. Tired of not being able to run lights at night and running the generator too much. I did have the electrical system checked for possible short or “leak” and was told it is running at a very low usage.

Ken
KHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:13 PM   #2

You will have to check your charger. My 2018 212QB does not have a charger compatible with Lithium. You would probably want change that if you want to install lithium batteries. There's a number of options out there.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:10 PM   #3

Same here, my 21QB’s charger is not compatible. You can look at your unit and pull up the model number for specs. I went with 200 Watts on the roof and a 50 watt portable to keep up with demand. It’s just my wife and I and we rarely need to run the furnace. There is a video on YouTube of someone who added solar and lithium in our exact floor plan. . He placed the batteries under the dinette closest to the stove.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #4

None of the stock converters are "LITHIUM READY".. Here is a blurb from Progressive Dynamics.

Progressive Dynamics can provide Lithium Converter Models to replace most of the Lead/Acid units presently in the field. This link, Lithium Converter Replacement Units, will provide you with the various Lead/Acid models manufactured by Progressive Dynamics, WFCO, Power Max and others along with the PDI Lithium replacement models or replacement sections to update your RV.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/lithi...acement-units/
Old 06-05-2021, 11:21 PM   #5

We just purchased a 2018 Jay Flight 21QB and it has been 25 years since our last RV. Is there a wiring diagram / schematic available for the electrical system on these units?
Old 06-06-2021, 05:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxy View Post
We just purchased a 2018 Jay Flight 21QB and it has been 25 years since our last RV. Is there a wiring diagram / schematic available for the electrical system on these units?
Contact JAYCO with your vin and ask for it.

https://www.jayco.com/site/contact/service/
Old 06-06-2021, 09:00 AM   #7

Lithium (lithium ion and lithium polymer) batteries require a specific type of charge cycle not supported by any standard mfg installed systems that I've seen. Several RV aftermarket companies offer complete systems that include solar and the required switching controller when both shore power and solar are used. Check out Battle Born, Dakota Lithium. There are others too.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:51 AM   #8

As Grumpy has stated already, if you wish to go with lithium, it would be best to upgrade your converter.
What type of battery arrangement do you presently have? We use 2 6v batteries and have a 150 watt solar panel on the roof, when the roof is in the shade, we use a 130 watt mobile panel as well and place it in the sun. With this setup and sunny days, we can easily go 2+ weeks using our LED lights, charging devices, fridge, water pump and the like. If it is cloudy and/or cooler and have to run the furnace, that changes and would require running our generator on occasion to charge fully.