Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #1

Second AC unit in Eagle HT 284BHOK ? New Order

Hello, Putting together order for new Eagle HT 284BHOK.
Anyone have the second AC? Is it necessary?
Is is "whisper quiet"?

Does one AC cool the bedroom?
We like the idea of a fan in the bedroom without using AC.

thank you
Linda
linda_id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #2

I have dual A/Cs. It is a very large space for one AC to cool. Depending on where and how hot it is outside, I would opt for it.
Bruceanast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #3

We had the 2nd AC on our 28BHBE which is a little smaller and although we didn’t use it much, it was nice to have when we did.

For your model the MSRP price for the 2nd AC is $825 and therefore actual cost should be even cheaper (no one should pay MSRP for a camper). For that little bit of extra money I’d order the second AC.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #4

As mentioned now is the time to get it installed and it will also improve re-sale/trade in the future.

As to your other questions. The bedroom is normally not the whisper unit and you can use it in fan mode. It should also have the chill grill which will allow you to concentrate all the air into the bedroom.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #5

When you close the chill grills in the bedroom, the bedroom AC air is diverted to the ducts throughout the coach, increasing the airflow throughout. We spent the night at Nellis AFB (just outside Las Vegas) in June of last year. It was probably in the high 90s and both ACs running, it was just above comfortable. If we did not have both ACs, it would have been miserable. We had a family of four inside.
Bruceanast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:35 PM   #6

I have 2 15K units in mine, and they are both ducted. The bedroom unit can have the diverter open and cool mostly that room, the main unit cannot. Either unit can be running and appears to cool equally through the ducts. I have started alternating the two units if I do not need both running at the same time. I cannot tell a difference in the comfort of any room, and it puts equal wear on them. That is definitely a plus.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:14 AM   #7

Definitely get the 2nd unit, unless you're in nothing but cold weather climates. It's much cheaper at point of order than doing it after delivery. As others said, there are times when you'll want more cooling power for that cavernous trailer. The full 7' high walls will add ~4-5% more air volume to cool than a comparable non-Eagle trailer.

The bedroom A/C will not be the whisper quiet version, but it is ducted.

That's the model that I would get, if I were purchasing. What other options are you going to build onto it?

I think I would opt for the solar package (could do it cheaper as a DIY project, but I like having it done from the factory), definitely the fireplace, the theater seating, and maybe the TPMS. It seems like the 16" wheels read as optional, but I don't see that on the options list, anymore.

I might opt for the generator prep, if I could learn a bit more about what it is. The only info I can find is for the 5ers, which have a bit more involved.

The one that I go back and forth on is the auto-leveling. I think I'd opt for it. I think you still have to use a board or two to get mostly level, but it still seems like a good idea. If not, I'd at least get the electric stabilizer jacks.

I'm curious to learn how you're building yours out.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #8

I got my 2021 284BHOK in March (ordered in September 2020) and we went with the 2nd AC. As was mentioned, it’s not the whisper quiet configuration but it is relatively quiet and is ducted in with the main unit or can just dump in the bedroom. It is much more quiet than my previous Winnebago. I would definitely opt for it. On those hot days you will be glad you did. We got a great deal on ours too so it was a no brainer to add it.

We ordered ours with about all of the options. frameless windows, auto level, 16” tires, 12v fridge, solar panel, tpms , fireplace, king bed, and the cameras.

They are really nice campers! Great with the kids.
jsc1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #9

Options list on 284BHOK

I'm curious to learn how you're building yours out.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the detailed reply ~~

Ordered all options except TPMS as we have a TPMS from previous class A.
Honestly we "think" we "need" all the options. : )

We were thinking we could use MaxAir vent in bedroom so when off grid we could use the fan.

Options: King bed, theatre seats, fireplace, double glazed windows, auto levelling, solar, 2nd a/c, 16" wheels, 12v fridge and cameras.

It will be 2022 model but we don't know if there are extra options available on '22 model.
linda_id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda_id View Post
We were thinking we could use MaxAir vent in bedroom so when off grid we could use the fan.

Options: King bed, theatre seats, fireplace, double glazed windows, auto levelling, solar, 2nd a/c, 16" wheels, 12v fridge and cameras.

It will be 2022 model but we don't know if there are extra options available on '22 model.
12 v fridge is not a good off grid option unless you plan on solar. Someone previously posted it depletes a battery fairly fast. Propane is more battery friendly.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
12 v fridge is not a good off grid option unless you plan on solar. Someone previously posted it depletes a battery fairly fast. Propane is more battery friendly.
Agreed. If you camp with shore power, then it's great. If, like me, 75% of your camping is dry (no power), then having a propane option on the fridge is a big deal. 12V fridge is a nice and cheap ($30) option, but one that needs to be carefully selected to your camping habits.

The double/thermo-pane windows are also an interesting option. Josh/Haylett had a good video on this and he wasn't a fan ... didn't seem to do much for the R-rating and it's an expensive option. It also makes the windows frameless, which Jayco and others are starting to get away from ... going back to the traditional style. Frameless look really good, but the airflow is just terrible. for my next trailer, I'd actually pay more to not have frameless windows purely for the airflow. So, another option that you really need to tailor to your needs.

Be sure to update as your order gets loaded, built, shipped, and delivered. I'd love to see pics of your new trailer when that day comes!
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote