Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #1

2018 whitehawk 23mrb questions

I just bought a 2018 whitehawk 23mrb and i was wondering how do i convert the l-dinnette into a bed?
Also has anyone ever lowered the murphy bed while the slide is in? Its a no-no in the users manual but the bed looks like it wont hit the slideroom wall.
I do a lot of wal-marts and truck stops and id like to be able to use the queen bed with the slide in.
Thanks...
ksamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:40 AM   #2

I have the 2017 MRB and it appears the 2018 is the same set-up. The table is the "stand" for the bed. Drop the table in place (there are wooden rests on each side of the opening) and then rearrange the cushions; they will stick out over the table a few inches. We have lowered the Murphy bed in our unit when the slide is in. in our unit there is about 3 - 4 inches clearance. Watch out, when lowering, that your blankets, etc. are all secured and nothing is hanging over the end of the bed. You should be fine. We didn't worry about securing the bed with the hooks, just jumped in and it was fine.

FYI: if you have the table stored in the slot next to the oven be careful. We added another strap as the one Jayco installed failed twice; the table fell out and dented the refrigerator door.

If you have any other questions on the MRB, feel free to ask. We've completed a lot of Mods and are really happy with the unit itself.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:35 AM   #3

The 2018 is significantly different from the 2017. The dinnette is L shaped instead of U shaped so the table is not supported on two sides. I also can't lower the
Table so it's level with the dinnette. However I love the entertainment unit that occupies almost half of the slide. The TV is not obstructed by the slide when it is in.
The portable table is in a slot directly under the sofa and their are two drawers under that rather than one larger storage area under the sofa.
If I can use the Murphy bed when the slide is in the lack of a comfortable dinnette bed is not a big deal since I am travelling alone. I'll ask my dealer tomorrow when I get my solar system installed if I'm missing something about the dinnette setup.
By the way I love the trailer. Been using it for a week and so far only a couple of loose cabinet hinges. No other problems. I've noticed some touch up work done so it looks like someone went over the trailer and fixed things before I took delivery.
Thanks for your reply...
Old 09-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #4

My humble apologies. I was at the dealer the other day and asked about the 2018 and was told it was basically the same set-up. Now you have me curious. Sorry about the misinformation.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 09-29-2017, 07:31 AM   #5

I have the 2107 23MRB so I am not sure about the L-shaped dinette. I have lowered the Murphy bed with the slide closed and have about a 2 inch clearance. I have even left it down and towed albeit with the bed strapped to the floor to prevent it from bouncing.

X2 on the strap for the table. I had it bounce out once and found it lying against the fridge. No dents but could have caused some damage.

I really like the new entertainment center layout on the 2018. We love the 23MRB but have made many upgrades to include a new memory foam mattress, digital thermostat, extra stabilizers to reduce bounce, added magnetic door stays to all exterior doors, new shower head, max air vent cover, flip jack to replace the simple pad on the tongue jack, motion activated led lights in the closets, and the addition of several command strip shelves and holders.
Centerline WDH
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #6

What do you mean by extra stabilizers? Do you mean shocks or some suspension upgrade? I drive on some rough roads....
Going to get lights for the pantries and a backup camera...
Im sure ill get some more ideas for mods here..
Old 09-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #7

These are stabilizers. They prevent bouncing when the trailer is parked. These are the ones I picked up, huge difference.

Valterra 020106 RV Stabilizer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UGJPXQ..._A8TZzbRYC5P3M
Centerline WDH
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #8

We just bought the same travel trailer and love it. For the L-shaped bed, you pull the bottom drawer out all the way. Then under the main part of the cushion is a second piece of plywood. Put that over the pulled-out drawer and then put the cushions over it. It's pretty easy once you've done it the first time. We also have lowered the bed with the slide in. The only problem is there just isn't any room to maneuver around the side, but you can get in from the space closest to the door. Good luck!
KRSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum and thanks for contributing.