Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2021, 08:20 AM   #1

2021 SLX 264bh Water Leak

We've had our trailer since February. It's been in the rain several times with no issues. Then, last weekend at the lake, we got a downpour and water came in under the wall next to the bed on the front door side. Wall is not wet. Ceiling is not wet. Just water seeping under the wall. Has anyone else had these issues? I'm completely new to the TT game so don't know where to start. The awning strut is right there. Also the window. I can't see anything. Do I just have to make an appt and take it 100 miles to the nearest Jayco dealer?

Please help.

thank You.
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:26 AM   #2

Check the screws that hold the window in place. They are on the inside of the trailer, in the window frame. They are a Robertson #2 head, they're spaced a couple inches apart, and they sandwich the 2 pieces of the window together, compressing the butyl tape in between and creating a seal. Yours could be loose.

As for the awning bolts, extend your awning. I believe the bolts are 10mm hex heads. Make sure they are snug.

I know your trailer is brand new, but it wouldn't hurt to get up on the roof and check the sealant up there where the rubber roof meets the front of the trailer's aluminum siding.

Also, check to make sure that your front pass through storage door on that side is closing firmly and that the door makes contact with the seal.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:13 AM   #3

I assure you I know the answer to this. We had this happen on our 2021 267BHS. It is coming in around the door hinges. When Lippert put the weather stripping on your door they installed the hinges OVER the weatherstripping and it crushes the weather seal flat where it can't seal around the door frame properly. I resealed our entire unit roof, seals, etc and finally removed the screen door and found the problem.

I went to lowes and bought a $9 roll of Marine weatherstripping (i think 5/16 inch) it'll look identical to what's on the door. Run a strip from top of door to bottom on hinge side right next to what is already there. DO NOT remove any factory weather stripping.

This should fix your problem. It's a stupid idea that they crushed the weather stripping at the factory where it can't properly seal.

Let me know if this fixes your problem. Good luck!!
Roosevelt008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:36 AM   #4

Here is pic of my fix...pretty easy and cheap
Attached Thumbnails
Door Seal.jpg  
Old 07-15-2021, 11:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosevelt008 View Post
I assure you I know the answer to this. We had this happen on our 2021 267BHS. It is coming in around the door hinges. When Lippert put the weather stripping on your door they installed the hinges OVER the weatherstripping and it crushes the weather seal flat where it can't seal around the door frame properly. I resealed our entire unit roof, seals, etc and finally removed the screen door and found the problem.

I went to lowes and bought a $9 roll of Marine weatherstripping (i think 5/16 inch) it'll look identical to what's on the door. Run a strip from top of door to bottom on hinge side right next to what is already there. DO NOT remove any factory weather stripping.

This should fix your problem. It's a stupid idea that they crushed the weather stripping at the factory where it can't properly seal.

Let me know if this fixes your problem. Good luck!!
OMG, this would be SO COOL if is is the answer. I'm seeing your picture also. Thank you very much for posting. I've already checked everything else in the first reply. I'll try this later. So, does this do any damage inside the wall? Insulation wet, etc???
Old 07-15-2021, 11:29 AM   #6

Ours only let water in twice it and we caught it same day so no damage was done. I would think any damage to insulation or anything. Flooring is pretty waterproof so if you were able to get it cleaned up right away it shouldn't damage anything. Also be sure and dry any storage areas that got wet.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:34 AM   #7

No luck on the door

I looked and the door does have the seal problems so I need to get that fixed however there was no wetness coming from the door. I don't think this is the problem. The wetness coming from the wall is over 18" away from the door also.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Check the screws that hold the window in place. They are on the inside of the trailer, in the window frame. They are a Robertson #2 head, they're spaced a couple inches apart, and they sandwich the 2 pieces of the window together, compressing the butyl tape in between and creating a seal. Yours could be loose.

As for the awning bolts, extend your awning. I believe the bolts are 10mm hex heads. Make sure they are snug.

I know your trailer is brand new, but it wouldn't hurt to get up on the roof and check the sealant up there where the rubber roof meets the front of the trailer's aluminum siding.

Also, check to make sure that your front pass through storage door on that side is closing firmly and that the door makes contact with the seal.
So, I checked the screws holding the window in. Probably a third of them were stripped. A couple were loose which I have now tightened but the third that are stripped of course are just done for. Do you think a larger screw of the same length would take care of the issue? I'm now thinking that may be the issue.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #9

Our leak ran down under the window also and wasn't real wet around the door hinge side. My guess is it found its way along the wall and not so much around the door but the weather seal did fix our problem. We've had several hard rains and no leak since.

It sounds like the window screws could def be a contributing factor too.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:35 AM   #10

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBears View Post
We've had our trailer since February. It's been in the rain several times with no issues. Then, last weekend at the lake, we got a downpour and water came in under the wall next to the bed on the front door side. Wall is not wet. Ceiling is not wet. Just water seeping under the wall. Has anyone else had these issues? I'm completely new to the TT game so don't know where to start. The awning strut is right there. Also the window. I can't see anything. Do I just have to make an appt and take it 100 miles to the nearest Jayco dealer?

Please help.

thank You.
2021 264Bh 3rd trip - Same issue a few weeks ago with a little water coming in from behind the wall cabinet on the door side and down the wall to the bed. Mattress and base were wet. I jumped up on the roof and took a hard look and being no expert I felt that the seam could use some additional caulking. An appointment with service was quoted as 3 months away just to look at it. I bought the self leveling caulking and applied it heavy where I thought I saw a gap. Low and behold it hasn't leaked since. Maybe try that first.....the service dept also reminded me that as part of the roof warranty the owner has a responsibility to inspect, clean, and reseal the roof as needed every year. Hope this helps
LJ4874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ4874 View Post
2021 264Bh 3rd trip - Same issue a few weeks ago with a little water coming in from behind the wall cabinet on the door side and down the wall to the bed. Mattress and base were wet. I jumped up on the roof and took a hard look and being no expert I felt that the seam could use some additional caulking. An appointment with service was quoted as 3 months away just to look at it. I bought the self leveling caulking and applied it heavy where I thought I saw a gap. Low and behold it hasn't leaked since. Maybe try that first.....the service dept also reminded me that as part of the roof warranty the owner has a responsibility to inspect, clean, and reseal the roof as needed every year. Hope this helps
I ended up kind of doing the same thing. Checked all the things people suggested. Found several window screws that were stripped. Replaced them with the next size larger. Found one of the top awning strut screws that was stripped and loose. Used the toothpick trick in the hole to make the screw catch again. Calked in and around the hole with non-leveling Dicor and tightened. Also calked with Dicor around where the awning wires disappear into the top of the strut. I couldn't see in there but just calked the heck out of it just in case. There was also a couple of places on the roof around where the guttering meets the rubber roof where it looked like it could use some more sealant. I added some self-leveling Dicor in those places.

In any case, my fingers are crossed. Since doing all of that it has rained a couple of times and I hit the area hard with the hose when I was washing a few days ago. No leaks so far. {{{ knocks wood }}}
Old 08-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #12

Yep, we had that too!

CBears, we had the same water entry point, behind the wall out onto the floor under the right bedroom window. The water was entering at the top right side of the window. What I found was the exterior black foam seal used between the window frame and siding of the camper had slipped down creating a small opening where I could see into the framing "guts" of the wall. And yes the awning run-off is right there adding a force of running rainwater. Filled in the gap with some sealant and has been dry since I sealed it 18 months ago. Now those are areas I check when I'm checking all the other roof seals and side seam seals.

"If everyday is a break-even day, I'm good with that"
2020 JayFlight SLX 287 BHS, UVW 6,180 lbs
2015 RAM 1500, 8spd, 4x4, 5.7L, TowPak, 3.21 ratio, Fastway e2 2-Point Sway, AirLift 1000, GCWR 13,800lbs
1998 Coleman Redwood Pop-up (sold2020)
2000 Ford F-150 SuperCab (sold2018)
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #13

2022 264BH here. Because of this thread I checked all my window screws. Guess what? Loose and stripped!

YES, I used a slightly larger diameter self tapping metal screw (from work) to replace the stripped holes. Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
20210818_113601.jpg  
1911Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Garand View Post
2022 264BH here. Because of this thread I checked all my window screws. Guess what? Loose and stripped!

YES, I used a slightly larger diameter self tapping metal screw (from work) to replace the stripped holes. Pic attached.
It was amazing how many of them were stripped.