Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #1

2022 Jayflight 212QBW wiring

Hi, I installed an inverter and want more than three outlets powered up. Can I cross connect breaker to breaker in the converter panel safely to accomplish this? I don't plan to power everything at once, just one or two things at a time.
andydu12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:25 PM   #2

I have the same trailer as you.

Are you using the invertor pre-wire loop in the cargo area? I connected that pre-wire loop to my 2000W invertor and, like you, it only powered like three outlets. I thought it would have powered more than three.

My invertor had an internal automatic bypass switch, but when I plugged the trailer into the home outlet, it blew up the invertor...destroyed it. So there is some kind of feedback loop taking place, so the pre-wire wasn't really a pre-wire and I haven't figured it out. I'm a trained electronics technician, so wiring the invertor to the pre-wired loop was simple. I've just decided not to invest the time right now to tear apart the trailer to trace wires to figure out how a back feed loop occurred.

So I ran heavy gauge wire to the batteries up into the storage bay to a resettable breaker I installed. Then at the side table next to the bed (which are really just the top to the storage bay), I ran a set of wires up through a hole with grommets. I put in two point-of-use small invertors; 500 watts output each on each side of the bed. We use them independently at the bed to charge phones and run a cpap machine. If we want to watch tv, we have a 1ft long cord that has a three-prong male connection on both ends. One plugs into the invertor and the other end plugs into an outlet next to the bed. That provides power to all the outlets. The most we ever do with it is watch the tv, run our XM satellite radio or run my electric shaver.

At the tv over the dinette, is a factory 12V plug. We plugged in a 300W invertor there for anything that we wanted to use as point-of-use at that end without having to walk down to the bedroom; like we'll connect our XM satellite radio there on the shelf where the tv is.

If we don't need the 500W invertor, we run just the 300W one. It came out to be easier and cheaper as we don't don't run any other a/c devices off the battery when we camp. And if one invertor has a problem, there are two back ups.

Just take note, only one of these can be connected with that double male power cord to the outlets at any given time.
66lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:38 PM   #3

Hi, I am using the prewired loop. I use a DPDT switch with "off" in the middle position so as not to cross the inverter (2200w) output with shore or gen power. The switch powers the 3 outlets from only one source at a time. In order to get more outlets connected, I wanted to get behind the breaker panel and connect two breakers together, if it is safe. I do like your idea of the double-male extension cord. I may use that if I cannot figure it out otherwise. I was able to get wiring schematics from Jayco for my rig. Not sure that will help though. Since you have the same model, maybe you'd like a copy?
My next problem is getting wires from the front of the rig at the batteries, inside, through the wall to the "solar prep" spot. I put 200w of solar on the roof. Not much of a solar prep when the only wires I found go up to the roof connection. I have to run my own battery wires. It even says as much on the wiring diagram. When it's all done, I think it will work great. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydu12 View Post
, I wanted to get behind the breaker panel and connect two breakers together, if it is safe.d.
NO! You should use a sub panel fed by the INVERTER
Old 08-05-2022, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi, I installed an inverter and want more than three outlets powered up. Can I cross connect breaker to breaker in the converter panel safely to accomplish this? I don't plan to power everything at once, just one or two things at a time.
Not to go deep into different thoughts, I would suggest a different approach than patch cords with a goal of a semi-permanent setup.

In any case, with your original question, the flow of power is not that your inverter is feeding power into the breaker panel, it is the other way around. When on inverter power and w/o the generator or shore power, there is no power at the breaker panel. So connecting one breaker to another would not make any difference. Also, each and every breaker in there already shares a common bus. In other words there is only one power input that is connected to all of the breakers (30a setup, 2 legs for 50a setups).

To be more succinct, the answer to your question is "no".

There are other options you could check into though, one is to use a separate subpanel of say 4 or less breakers that the inverter powers, or another transfer switch to the existing breaker panel similar to what you stated about the dpdt switch which would power all the breakers (you would need to turn off all that were needed to be powered) and if you do that you have to be very careful or you will overload the inverter, especially with inverters that do auto transfers (dpdt auto transfer switch builtin) and the power goes out while the A/C is running for example. Several different options for sure.

A simple option is just to run a small extension cord to an already powered inverter outlet. Just depends on how much effort you would like to put into this and the setup capabilities that you would like to have. BTW, which 2200w inverter do you have? ~CA
Old 08-06-2022, 11:31 AM   #6

Hi Craigav,

I've got a Giandel. Amazon
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2022-08-06 102921.jpg  
Old 08-07-2022, 02:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi Craigav,

I've got a Giandel. Amazon

That is a highly rated inverter, I read the specs and reviews on it. I was checking to see if it had a transfer switch built-in which it doesn't, however your switch setup should work fine. If you ever wanted to you could use an auto-transfer switch which does what your manual dpdt switch already does. ~CA
Old 11-11-2022, 11:05 AM   #8

Sorry for the late ask but which three outlets are powered by the factory setup?
OMatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:33 AM   #9

Ahhh, yes. I found that there are more actually. The two that are next to the queen bed, either side. The one under the dining table. The one at the back, next to the couch. Also the ones for the TVs, at the queen bed, above the couch, and OUTSIDE! Pretty cool actually if I do say so. And I do. Haha. By the way, I love my solar, battery, and inverter setup.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:38 AM   #10

So pretty much all outlets can be powered by inverter using the factory wiring harness in the storage cubby under the bed? Am I understanding this correctly? My wife has a 2022 212qbw Baja RME lol
Old 11-11-2022, 11:56 AM   #11

That's what it sounds like. Nothing in the kitchen. You know, if you send Jayco your model and serial number, they will send you any blueprints for your rig. I have electrical, plumbing, and structural. All very helpful. Good luck, sir.
Old 11-14-2022, 12:37 PM   #12

Were you able to get these schematics while the unit was still under warranty? I've seen some comments here that suggest that Jayco doesn't like to do that. I don't know what difference it might make to them.

Thanks!
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:03 AM   #13

I was still under warranty.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:50 AM   #14

I requested and received all drawings for my 22 212qbw rme yesterday. They sent the documents to me within a few hours. Quite amazing!
According to the wiring, the inverter loop powers the two outlets by the bed, and the TV outlet in the bedroom.

Tags
electrical, inverter, jayflight, outlets, prep