Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2022, 01:02 PM   #1

21 Jayco 267BHS Rust on A frame

My trailer is not even a year old, and i saw all this rust. It is still under the two year warranty, but my dealership said that Jayco denied the claim under warranty as they do not cover rust.

I am sure it can be sanded down and repainted but i prefer the manufactuer cover this. Anybody have experience? This is a 2021.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust.jpg  
minirx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:01 PM   #2

Sorry to see this but I think it the norm. I have a 2022 284BHOK and I’m seeing rust in many places already. Had the same thing on a 2018 Grand Design.
In my opinion, the best way to deal with it is the Rustoleum Rust neutralizer, it has another name that I cannot remember!, and top coat with Rustoleum Black enamel.
I just keep an eye on the frame and perform touch ups as required. Be sure to clean the old rust off as best you can before treating so the new paint has clean metal to stick to.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Keithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirx7 View Post
My trailer is not even a year old, and i saw all this rust. It is still under the two year warranty, but my dealership said that Jayco denied the claim under warranty as they do not cover rust.

I am sure it can be sanded down and repainted but i prefer the manufactuer cover this. Anybody have experience? This is a 2021.
As Keithb said, not unusual. You have to remember JAYCO doesn't make the frames, they come to them pre-painted. LIPPERT would be the one who would cover any frame warranty issues.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:31 PM   #4

I wind up painting all exposed frame pieces with POR-15 after the first year or two. It lasts much longer and then touch up is easier after each season. It looks pretty good just brushing it on.
sgtkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:00 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Order a Qt. of phosphoric acid ( brand name "Ospho") on Amazon, brush or better yet spray it on the area that is rusting and it will make the oxidized metal dissolve. It's really no big deal. We used it on tow boats on the coast back in the day, where fighting rust is a daily battle. We primed with red lead but any good bonding primer and then a good coat of black, rattle can spray paint will keep the wolves at bay.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Eastwood Rust Encapsulator is also a really good product for that application.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:31 PM   #7

I have a brand new RBS and the frame had rust before we brought it home. Thanks for the suggestions.
Kjjj1981 is offline   Reply With Quote