Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
I need a Bigger truck it looks like
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Mike, u need a bigger truck. Trust me. Your towing experience will go up dramatically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
IMO spot-on advice being posted.

Bob
Yup, Yup and YUP! I've been there and done that exactly as you have. I towed my 2014 28BHBE for over a year with a Sierra 1500. Now granted, the Eco-Diesel stands to be a better engine for pulling than my 5.3 ever was.

This May, I upgraded to a RAM 2500 with 6.4L HEMI, and I will never look back. TOTALLY different towing experience, not just the engine, but the entire situation. I could tell after about 5 minutes towing my trailer the first time with the HD RAM that I had without a doubt, made the right decision. It's extremely evident that the truck was meant to haul the weight and pull the trailer. The GMC 1500 was technically capable, but it was definitely a push for the truck, and it never felt very comfortable. Now with the RAM, I just sit back and enjoy the ride.
__________________

__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 254
I think your only issue is payload, I tow 28BHBE with a 2015 Sierra 1500 with no issues other than needing some heavier duty shock absorbers and tires (using LT's). I am well within the truck's limits, but my payload is higher than yours (1900lb) because of my lighter engine (5.3 Ecotec). I am not a big Ford fan, but the new F150's go even higher with payloads, well over 2000lb.

For infrequent trips I am not sure that a 2500 or 3500 is necessary as long as you setup your WDH properly. Many people are basing their comments on experiences with 5-10 year old trucks, things have progressed alot since then! Here are some actual numbers:

2015 Jayco 28BHBE (with 40 gal freshwater tank full, full 60 gal propane, ~200lb in cargo)
Blue Ox WDH adjusted "properly" (had to re-adjust after dealer)

Scale trailer weight 7297lb (3310kg)
Scale truck weight 5578lb (2530kg), includes my daughter (10kg) and I (120kg)
Scale front axle weight 3020lb (1370kg)
Scale rear axle weight 2557lb (1160kg)
Scale tongue weight 771lb (350kg)
Payload estimate 1080lb (490kg)
__________________

motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Yup, Yup and YUP! I've been there and done that exactly as you have. I towed my 2014 28BHBE for over a year with a Sierra 1500. Now granted, the Eco-Diesel stands to be a better engine for pulling than my 5.3 ever was.

This May, I upgraded to a RAM 2500 with 6.4L HEMI, and I will never look back. TOTALLY different towing experience, not just the engine, but the entire situation. I could tell after about 5 minutes towing my trailer the first time with the HD RAM that I had without a doubt, made the right decision. It's extremely evident that the truck was meant to haul the weight and pull the trailer. The GMC 1500 was technically capable, but it was definitely a push for the truck, and it never felt very comfortable. Now with the RAM, I just sit back and enjoy the ride.
I test drove the RAM 2500 with the 6.4 and it was definitely a nice truck, but I am betting your Sierra was pre-2014, the 2014+ Sierra/Silverado 1500 is a totally different truck. You were probably towing with a 4-speed transmission, right?

I am not arguing that 2500/3500's are not a good choice for this trailer, but they are not cheap and the capability of most 1500's has increased substantially. If a 1500 can tow it, and you are taking 1-2 trips a month, you are going to save alot if you stick with one versus an HD truck. Plus, look at the safety ratings of most HD's.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
I think your only issue is payload, I tow 28BHBE with a 2015 Sierra 1500 with no issues other than needing some heavier duty shock absorbers and tires (using LT's). I am well within the truck's limits, but my payload is higher than yours (1900lb) because of my lighter engine (5.3 Ecotec). I am not a big Ford fan, but the new F150's go even higher with payloads, well over 2000lb.

For infrequent trips I am not sure that a 2500 or 3500 is necessary as long as you setup your WDH properly. Many people are basing their comments on experiences with 5-10 year old trucks, things have progressed alot since then! Here are some actual numbers:

2015 Jayco 28BHBE (with 40 gal freshwater tank full, full 60 gal propane, ~200lb in cargo)
Blue Ox WDH adjusted "properly" (had to re-adjust after dealer)

Scale trailer weight 7297lb (3310kg)
Scale truck weight 5578lb (2530kg), includes my daughter (10kg) and I (120kg)
Scale front axle weight 3020lb (1370kg)
Scale rear axle weight 2557lb (1160kg)
Scale tongue weight 771lb (350kg)
Payload estimate 1080lb (490kg)
I'm Interested in how you got a trailer weight of 7297 with full tanks? The yellow sticker on my trailer states "7049" BEFORE any water or gear; that's as shipped with a battery and full propane tanks only. 40 gals of water alone will add more than 320 lbs.

Here are my scale results with my 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 2WD with HD towing package and my 2014 28BHBE (not 10 yr old data):

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...lts-17202.html

Also, 1900 lbs payload on a GM 1/2T seems high; is that number brochure weight or yellow sticker weight or calculated on GVWR? 200lbs of cargo in the trailer is also much lower than the average cargo weight added. For my scale results above, I was packing very light and my trailer still weighed 7650 lbs.

Edit: On those scale weights: how is your rear axle so much lighter than the front? Are those scale weights with the truck and trailer? Or did you have everything weighed separately? That tongue weight is 11% of trailer weight, this trailer likes a heavy tongue, it would be better if you were closer to 15%.
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
I test drove the RAM 2500 with the 6.4 and it was definitely a nice truck, but I am betting your Sierra was pre-2014, the 2014+ Sierra/Silverado 1500 is a totally different truck. You were probably towing with a 4-speed transmission, right?

I am not arguing that 2500/3500's are not a good choice for this trailer, but they are not cheap and the capability of most 1500's has increased substantially. If a 1500 can tow it, and you are taking 1-2 trips a month, you are going to save alot if you stick with one versus an HD truck. Plus, look at the safety ratings of most HD's.
2012 GMC Sierra 5.3 LMG engine with 6 spd transmission and HD towing package.

A lightly equipped 2500/150 is not THAT much more expensive (sometimes less so) than a well equipped 1500/150.

I agree that the newer 1/2 Ton trucks are VERY capable, but the bottom line is they're a compromise. They're designed to be a balance between utility and comfort whereas the 2500/250 series trucks are designed to deal with weight and pulling day in and day out, and you can feel it if you drive one.

I also agree that if you're towing once or maybe twice a month, and only for a relatively short distance, a well equipped 1/2 T will get you by. But when you're going up and down hills/mountains or towing into a hellacious head wind, or pulling that trailer all day long on a lengthy vacation, you'll know you're in a 1/2T truck, and you'll wish you had stretched a little and bought the bigger truck or gone with a smaller trailer.

Again, these are my opinion based on my actual experience; I'm not theorizing, I've been there.
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Algonquin
Posts: 7
"Also, 1900 lbs payload on a GM 1/2T seems high; is that number brochure weight or yellow sticker weight or calculated on GVWR?"

I have a 2014 Silverado 5.3 Crew Cab 4X4 LT Z71 and the payload sticker in the door says 1743#. My father in law has a 2014 Sierra Double Cab 4X4 WT and the payload sticker in his is over 1800#.

That being said I tow a much smaller trailer than a 28BHBE (loaded just over 6000 on the trailer axles per the CAT scale) and wouldn't be comfortable with anything bigger on a 1/2 ton.
RJC1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 91
It's amazing how much different these trailers weigh. My 2016 BHBE weighed 6744 with full 30lb tanks with elite package. With our 1/2 ton RAM 1500 and 8 speed, it tows the trailer fine. Granted a 2500 would not bounce quite as much. I have read that RAM trucks do come from the factory with large sway bars which may be the reason they seem to perform well. I have considered a 2500 however. The tongue weights will vary depending on how the equalizer bars and balance of trailers are set up. We do not tow with our tanks loaded.
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:35 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Edit: On those scale weights: how is your rear axle so much lighter than the front? Are those scale weights with the truck and trailer? Or did you have everything weighed separately? That tongue weight is 11% of trailer weight, this trailer likes a heavy tongue, it would be better if you were closer to 15%.
This has been a useful discussion! I checked directly off the stickers on my truck and my payload is 1745# and GVWR is 7200#. Not sure where I got the original payload number, apologies for the mistake.

The front and rear axle weights are without the TT hooked up, and I also added my weight to the front axle weight. I used a scale that required me to walk in the scale house to record the weight, so if you split my weight between the two axles it is closer to what you measured at the CAT scales.

One thing to keep in mind is that Jayco seems to change trailer specs significantly between years. The 2014 28BHBE has more freshwater capacity (80gal, right?) while the 2015 only has 40gal, unless you get the elite package. Northern Jay has the same year 28BHBE as me but with the elite package and his tongue weight with WDH is 1200#. Even though I could swing that with payload, 1500 hitches are rated between 1000-1200# so I would be max'd out there. There seems to be alot of variability with these bigger units...
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
2012 GMC Sierra 5.3 LMG engine with 6 spd transmission and HD towing package.

A lightly equipped 2500/150 is not THAT much more expensive (sometimes less so) than a well equipped 1500/150.

I agree that the newer 1/2 Ton trucks are VERY capable, but the bottom line is they're a compromise. They're designed to be a balance between utility and comfort whereas the 2500/250 series trucks are designed to deal with weight and pulling day in and day out, and you can feel it if you drive one.
I totally agree about 1500's being a compromise, but I think they are becoming a much better one for people who are towing monthly, as opposed to weekly. High altitudes and mountains changes that significantly, but even HD's can get into big trouble in those cases (without an exhaust brake).

Regarding prices, I just went through this in January trying to decide between a Sierra/Silverado 1500 versus a RAM 2500 with the 6.4. I test drove both, smoked tires by accident when I pulled off the lot with the 2500! I prefer RAMs but their payloads are too low with most of the 1500 configurations. All-in (including taxes, in CAD not USD) I bought the Sierra for $42k, all-in for the RAM 2500 was just shy of $50k...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I also agree that if you're towing once or maybe twice a month, and only for a relatively short distance, a well equipped 1/2 T will get you by. But when you're going up and down hills/mountains or towing into a hellacious head wind, or pulling that trailer all day long on a lengthy vacation, you'll know you're in a 1/2T truck, and you'll wish you had stretched a little and bought the bigger truck or gone with a smaller trailer.

Again, these are my opinion based on my actual experience; I'm not theorizing, I've been there.
I just towed my trailer with 4 passengers (skinny ones!) to Maine and back which was about 1000km or 650mi each way. There were plenty of hills, a huge rain storm, and a few bad construction areas where things got bouncy, but I kept it at 60mph and felt very comfortable. I have never towed in a 2500, but I am sure that I had the vehicle under control and was driving safely.

Anyway, I think we're both right, but it seems that many configurations of the 28BHBE push you out of 1500 territory, just not mine!
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:04 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 3,092
28 BHBE average tong weight

I had a 2010 Sierra with max trailering package that was rated for 10,500. I had a 18' enclosed trailer to haul the toys. The trailer and toys weighed maybe 6500lbs. Just towing that in the modest hills of PA had the rpms higher than I could take. And I always knew it was back there... When my wife wanted a camper heavier than that setup, I said sure but I'm getting a truck suited for the task. To each their own. But I laugh when I read how some say I don't know it's back there or I pull hills great in a 1500/150 with any real weight... I never felt unsafe in my 1500 and I loved that truck. They have there place but for me, not hauling a trailer of this size. I would spend the money on a bigger truck before I spent it on a bigger trailer. That's just me though. I don't put the cart before the horse. Mike let us know how you make out... Camping is great!
__________________

__________________
2017 JayFlight 28BHBE
2014 JayFlight Swift 264BH (Sold)
2007 GMC 2500 Sierra Classic Crew Cab LBZ Duramax / 6spd Allison
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.