Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #1

28DSBH Bathroom Mods...

Even though it's definitely still winter here in New York, I've been tweaking the bathroom for the upcoming season. I finally installed the Extend-A-Shower curtain rod and a shampoo and conditioner dispenser. They're little things but they'll make a nice difference in terms of comfort and convenience for our family. The bathroom is pretty much done now - new towel rods, tile backsplash, sink faucet, and a Vortex II fan. About the only thing left to do is reinstall an Oxygenics shower head that I took down to repair a leak.

Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Even though it's definitely still winter here in New York, I've been tweaking the bathroom for the upcoming season. I finally installed the Extend-A-Shower curtain rod and a shampoo and conditioner dispenser. They're little things but they'll make a nice difference in terms of comfort and convenience for our family. The bathroom is pretty much done now - new towel rods, tile backsplash, sink faucet, and a Vortex II fan. About the only thing left to do is reinstall an Oxygenics shower head that I took down to repair a leak.

How do you like your Vortex II fan? We have 2 in our TT and for the price and convenient installation, we think they're great.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
How do you like your Vortex II fan? We have 2 in our TT and for the price and convenient installation, we think they're great.
I feel the same way you do...for the cost and convenience it can't be beat. Pretty quiet and powerful, too. If I already had a second vent in the roof I'd just install another, but since I dont I'm going with a MaxxAir. It'll have auto thermostat/closing, moves more air and is even quieter. It'll be my reward for cutting a 14" hole in my roof and (hopefully) not screwing it up.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #4

Nice job! I'm loving the bathroom mods! When our 28DSBH arrives in May i'm going to have to visit your picture album to refresh my memory of all the mods! I'm curious, why didn't you order your trailer with the optional fan? Was it available when you ordered? I ordered ours with the fan, simply to have the factory already make the hole in the roof. We've seen units with the optional fan and to be honest, the fan installed at the factory feels real flimsy and probably not very effective due to it's size. Looks like a good hole for me to install a Vortex II though! Keep the pictures coming, i'm loving all the ideas!

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnnew View Post
Nice job! I'm loving the bathroom mods! When our 28DSBH arrives in May i'm going to have to visit your picture album to refresh my memory of all the mods! I'm curious, why didn't you order your trailer with the optional fan? Was it available when you ordered? I ordered ours with the fan, simply to have the factory already make the hole in the roof. We've seen units with the optional fan and to be honest, the fan installed at the factory feels real flimsy and probably not very effective due to it's size. Looks like a good hole for me to install a Vortex II though! Keep the pictures coming, i'm loving all the ideas!
Great question! It was available but I didn't realize it. It's because I ordered the 2017 just as they were changing over model years and it wasn't an option in 2016. Had I known before ordering I DEFINITELY would have requested it. True, you're only going to get a $75 fan but you're right, you'll have the hole and dedicated power already in the roof so you can easily upgrade. My 2017 is framed for the fan so that's no issue, but besides cutting the hole I also have to grab dedicated power from somewhere. The factory fan would have saved me some work, definitely worth $75.

You were wise to order the fan because you definitely want one at mid-coach in a 28' box. With that fan and an upgraded fan in the bathroom, you'll be able to cut cool-down time in half on a hot day. Set one fan to exhaust and the other to intake and it turns the trailer into a little wind tunnel. AND the optional fan is close to the kitchen so it vents odors, condensation from the propane stove, and smoke. Once mine is in I look forward to making toast without setting off the smoke detector...

BTW, you might want to go a little higher grade than the Vortex II for mid-cabin. It makes a GREAT bathroom fan but I could see it being just a tad too noisy in the middle of the coach if I was watching TV or reading a book. Prices on fans are coming down and you could get something quieter that moves a LOT more air for just a bit more money. And really, installing a new fan isn't much harder than installing a Vortex II. Yes, you have to get on the roof and remove the old butyl tape and lap sealant, and you have to put down new butyl tape and more lap sealant when you're done. But you know what? Putting down lap sealant is good training for annual maintenance, and you're going to have to get up on the roof anyway to install a vent cover (unless the dealer does it for you). BTW, do get vent covers in place ASAP. It allows you run fans in the rain, to keep vents open while traveling or stored, and keeps you out of trouble if you ever forget to close a vent.