Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2019, 05:40 PM   #1

6 gal Atwood water heater

Fellow Jayco owners,

So I’ve had my 2014 jayco Whitehawk 23 mbh for three years and I have now encounter my first “repair” . I was camping and my water heater just doesn’t want to work. I go check it and I can hear the water heater rocking trying to light up and it turned on for about 3-4 seconds and the. It dies. After a few attempts no more flame. I dust off as best as I could and try again but nothing. I then try to use the electric mode of the water heater but no go with that also.
I’ve tried trouble shooting the issue ; turned off propane and for 15 min to try to reset the system and then slowly turning it on , checked the fuses , all seems ok , also checked the water shut off valves even though I have not winterized the trailer so those valves have not been touched. Anyway, my most recent suspect is the ignition circuit board...

Does anyone have any suggestions? Much appreciated
Acano82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:49 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Before you buy a dinosaur board (most reliable) for replacement, check all connections first and also the 2 amp fuse. Check for ignition and you might want to clean the probe.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Before you buy a dinosaur board (most reliable) for replacement, check all connections first and also the 2 amp fuse. Check for ignition and you might want to clean the probe.
Good advice here as the igniter [probe] has 2 functions. First the board tells the gas valve to open then tells the probe to ignite the gas, second the probe sends back to the board that it senses flame and continues to run. If the probe [igniter] is dirty it may not be sending back that it senses flame. This happened to me after only 1 year so I changed out the probe and its worked ever sense. Bottom line is that if your water heater is igniting like it should then going out it might not be the board.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #4

Water heater

I agree with what others have said. Check the connections, clean or replace the Flame Sensor before you spend the money on a new circuit card.

I actually was given this advice by one of our local RV dealers! His comment was that water heater issues are rarely caused by the circuit card!

$22 and I was up and running!

Good luck and Happy camping!
mnaquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #5

Yes, check connections. They may look fine on a quick inspection but they can and do get corroded. We had our water heater go out on electric a couple of seasons ago. I did a quick search on here and that was the exact cause. I now carry a couple of emery boards for just that.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote