Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #1

A Frame

I have a 2017 Jayco Jayflight SLX 175RD. I have noticed that the "A" frame (that part of the frame between the coupler an trailer "box") appears to slant UP as it runs towards the coupler. I'm concerned the frame might be bent.

The trailer has only been used 6 times this summer and all travel has been on paved roads, although some have had run of the mill chuck holes. Total distance traveled is less than 1000 mile.

I've noticed some other Jayco Jayflight SLX trailers with the same upward rise, some more pronounced than others. I am unable to see or otherwise detect any cracks or bending of the frame.

Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Old 10-12-2017, 12:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would take your 175RD to your RV dealer for inspection.

If your RV dealership's inspection response doesn't address your concerns, then you may want to contact Jayco directly. Ask the dealer to generate the formal service warranty claim request (goes on record with Jayco) and get a copy for your records.

Just curious, with your trailer on level ground and the trailer's twin I-beam frame level, how much of a rise (degree of) are you experiencing with the A-frame?

The A-frame is welded to the main frame's twin I-beams after it passes through the front cross frame plate (also welded here). One would think that the A-frame assembly would maintain a level attitude along with the main frame I-beams.

Thinking "way" out of the box here, is it possible that it's setup at a slight angle to accommodate a specified ball coupler height (?). I only mention this because of your observations of other SLX trailers.

Let us know what you find out.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #3

Quote:
ust curious, with your trailer on level ground and the trailer's twin I-beam frame level, how much of a rise (degree of) are you experiencing with the A-frame?
I'll check this while camping next week as we will be at a really level site.

Quote:
Thinking "way" out of the box here, is it possible that it's setup at a slight angle to accommodate a specified ball coupler height (?). I only mention this because of your observations of other SLX trailers.
Not sure how to check this. Any suggestions?

Paul
Old 10-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullin View Post
snip....... Not sure how to check this. Any suggestions?
Paul
I would contact Jayco technical support directly, only Jayco can confirm the intended frame & A-frame design assembly specifications. Also, the frame manufacture would know as well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 10-12-2017, 10:52 PM   #5

Jayco does refer to the frame on these as "cambered" which would indicate that it's not totally square in at least one direction, although that wording is a bit ambiguous. Possibly easiest is to compare to the similar units on the lot at your nearest dealership.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #6

Have you used a WD hitch on your trailer??
garyg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Have you used a WD hitch on your trailer??
Yes, a Equilzer e2, recommended and installed by the dealer.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #8

I have the same unit and was just at it and I looked at it hard and did not notice that the tongue is out of level with the rest of the frame, I do have an equal amount of weight on the stabilizers and tongue.
CoCanCarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #9

I have a 184BH purchased in 2014 from a 2nd generation very experienced dealership and they told me that the A frame on these lighter weight SLX trailers was not designed to take the stresses from using a WD hitch. The tongue weight is quite minimal and I even tow with the fresh water tank full (26 gallons in the far front) with a RAM 1500 and have no need whatsoever for a WD hitch. What are you towing with?
garyg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #10

I am towing with a Toyota Tacoma. I don't want to hijack this thread but I thought that the WD systems were about even distribution of weight on the tow vehicle and the axle of the trailer behind. I have no problem towing with the Tacoma and I was going to put on a WDH for my next upgrade.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCanCarv View Post
snip....... I thought that the WD systems were about even distribution of weight on the tow vehicle and the axle of the trailer behind......snip
The WDH's main design function is to restore the weight removed from the TV's front suspension as a result of the TT's tongue weight being placed over the TV's hitch ball. The WDH will then transfer weight off TV's the rear axle back to the front suspension.

As by product of making the required WDH adjustment for restoring the TV's front suspension integrity, there is minimal weight transferred to the TT's axles as well.

The majority of TV's with a properly adjusted WDH will incur a 1" to 2" rear vehicle squat, this is normal with most TV suspensions today.

For those interested, the best way to dial-in a WDH is a CAT scale visit.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 10-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #12

Well, it may be my old eyesight or just an optical illusion.

While camping at an RV park with nice, very level concrete pads I leveled the TT by using a couple of carpenter's levels on the bottom of the box frame.

Then, I measured from the concrete to the bottom of the box frame at the point where the A frame connects to the main frame and then to the bottom of the box frame at coupler. The result was 1/4 inch higher at the coupler. I repeated the measurements on the other side of the TT and found the same results, just a 1/4" difference.

Guess I need to make an appointment at the eye doctors.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullin View Post
snip.... Guess I need to make an appointment at the eye doctors.
Faster and less painful then processing a Warranty Service Claim

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 10-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #14

You all have been great and thank you for all the help and understanding, in the world of the interweb to many people are fast to criticize you people have been outstanding.