Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2022, 08:30 PM   #1

Adding A new heater vent

On our Jayfeather 27 rl the living room and kitchen are the coldest rooms. The Bathroom is the warmest and the bedroom is in the middle. I was thinking if I would splice into the bathroom vent tube then I could take some of the heat going into the bathrom and redirect to the kitchen. Maybe after doing that it would be warmer throught the RV.Get a Y and cut the tubing from the heater and attach it to the bottom of the y and the upper y part one would go to the bathroom and the other to the new vent in the kitchen. Has anybody done this and how did it work out.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Before installing additional duct/vent(s) I would confirm that the existing system isn't compromised.

Removing the floor vents, then using a flashlight and small mirror.......: I would inspect the main floor duct for collapsed section(s), restrictions, gaps, etc.. that may be effecting heat flow. Check the two end-caps of the main floor duct for open gaps (mine had them).

Also check the duct connections at the furnace, especially if the furnace is located off to the side of the main floor duct. Confirming that the cold air return isn't restricted leading to the furnace area would be wise as well.

If you have a heated underbelly, definitely worth checking the heat source connection/opening(s) as well. Sometimes this added function (depending on location, size of opening) can rob the main floor duct of required heat flow to the floor vents.

Keep in mind adding additional ducting/vent, elbows, etc., can effect the system heat output at given vents.

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Looking at a video of the interior, the bathroom heat duct is very close to the furnace itself. Can you add a closeable vent like some of these?

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_...Registers.aspx

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:06 AM   #4
Site Team

We have a closeable heat duct in the large storage area that provides heat to the underbelly to help prevent freezing in cold weather. When we are camped and use the furnace if a freeze is not predicted, I just operate the vanes on it to keep it closed. We get more heat upstairs.
Just remember to open it back up when it gets colder.

Also your furnace may have unused duct openings that can be used for extra feeds. When not used they are covered with a removeable cover. Sealing them with some tape can prevent much heat loss in that area.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #5

The only ductwork I have in the floor is to the bedroom. That is clear as far as I can see. The ductwork in the bathroom is clear and so are the two ducts that go to the living room and kitchen. They are not in the floor and are in the Cabinets. I have read that if you close off a vent for heat than there is a good chance that the furance will overheat. The ductwork that I want to tap into is only about 2 1/2 feet long and goes straight into the bathroom. I think that I am going to have to check on the connections where the duck comes out of the furance and see if I am losing heat there. Thanks for you info.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:20 AM   #6
Site Team

I see now you have a TT and there may not be room for the underfloor ducts, not sure, but none of mine have adjustable heater vents with the exception of the one in the storage compartment.
I have never seen any literature from Jayco about this.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 11:47 AM   #7

My TT is the same way. The bathroom is closest to heater and bedroom is second vent so by the time it travels to kitchen/living room it will be cooler no matter how many vent you have. We just close the bathroom vent and bedroom vent as needed. That gets the heat to the other areas quicker.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:36 PM   #8

Pulled the grate off of where the furnance is today. looking at the furnance one side of the unit has 1 [one] ductwork coming off of it going to the kitchen and living room. The other side of the unit has 2 ducts coming off of it. One to the bedroom and one to the bathroom. Now I started the unit and when it was going good I felt around for air leaks and where they screwed the unit together there was a good size leak. fixed it with the foil tape. Also on the side of the unit towards the inside of the trailer there are places where you can knock out plates to add more ductwork and the middle one was leaking pretty good. So I got a couple of leaks fixed and will work on the rest of it on Saturday. One thing that I did notice when the unit is running the side where the ducting comes out to go to the bathroom and bedroom the unit is very warm. The side where the duct work comes out to the kitchen and living room the unit is a lot cooler. This is the furnace itself.