Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #1

Adding a vent on my 242BHSW

So I sent Jayco an email with the suspission that there was an opening framed in the front of our trailer but no vent installed from the factory. Sure enough they confirmed that I was correct. Directly over the bed is an opening that they mark to leave unroutered. So now I have to decided if I want to brave cutting it out. I'm fairly handy but cutting the roof makes me the most nervous in this process. I'm hoping they deadhead power there but I'm guessing not.

So am I crazy for thinking about doing this project? I really want a fan over the bed for fresh air while sleeping. What should I use to route the ceiling material?
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #2

I would do it in a heartbeat. I would caulk as needed, followed up with 6" eternabond, to make a permanent seal. I would then top it off with a dark smoked Maxair vent hood.

Go for it!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would do it in a heartbeat. I caulk as needed, followed up with 6" eternabond, to make a permanent seal. I would then top it off with a dark smoked Maxair vent hood.

Go for it!
So Maxxair or Fantastic fan?
Old 05-02-2019, 08:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
So Maxxair or Fantastic fan?
I would just do the hood, so you can keep the vent open. But if you want a fan, you have to figure out a power source.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:23 AM   #5

I did this on my x213. It was definitely nerve racking, but relatively easy. Jayco provided me with copies of the roof schematics to confirm the location of the vent framing. I used a router on the interior then used a drill to make a hole at each corner of the square opening on the roof decking. Then simply connected the dots with a jigsaw to cut the roof hole. The electrical was already ran and located near the framed rough in. I wish I had taken some pictures, but honestly it went so quick and easy that I didn’t.
wootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootman View Post
I did this on my x213. It was definitely nerve racking, but relatively easy. Jayco provided me with copies of the roof schematics to confirm the location of the vent framing. I used a router on the interior then used a drill to make a hole at each corner of the square opening on the roof decking. Then simply connected the dots with a jigsaw to cut the roof hole. The electrical was already ran and located near the framed rough in. I wish I had taken some pictures, but honestly it went so quick and easy that I didn’t.
That's what I'm hoping is that they have the power run there waiting to hook up. I think I'm going to have to take the gamble and try it. I've got the schematics from Jayco so I can see the location of the frame.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #7

Great thread! I was really surprised our trailer only has a vent in the bathroom. My old Laredo, which was basically the same size trailer, had three vents total. I hope we have an opening in our bedroom as well. If it’s there, I will definitely follow your lead. Please update us when you are done. Thanks.

2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.4L
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Do you have a ceiling light near the planned fan opening?

If so you can tap into the ceiling light 12Volt power supply. That is what I did when I moved the original bathroom ceiling fan to the front of the TT above the bed. I replaced the bathroom fan with a thermostat fan. Works GREAT!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #9

Debated between a Maxxair deluxe and the maxxair plus. I went with the plus and a weather cover. The deluxe doesn't look like it will flow as much as the plus so I went that route. Etrailer shipped already so late next week there should be an install update. I'll try and make a full post showing everything. I've attached the PDF from Jayco showing the roof diagram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3p...w?usp=drivesdk
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roof assy.pdf (190.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-04-2019, 05:38 AM   #10

Also Jayco responded to my email asking if there is wiring already there. They stated that "Anything that is labeled as an option is prepped.", however I'm not sure if a vent there is an optional item.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #11

I would like to do something similar and steal power from a light for my new vent fan. What I don't understand is don't I have to keep the ceiling light switch turned on for the fan to have power? If I do that there are 2 more lights do deal with...
Alerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #12

Well first step is done. I didn't mess the roof yet since it was getting late yesterday. Started off by finding the studs but they were right where the plans showed them. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190509_173507.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	49555

I punched a hole with a paddle bit in the middle so I could be sure I was in the right spot. At first I started with an osolating cutter but I was worried I would cut into a stud. So when I was buying the osolating cutter at Home Depot I picked up some bits for a RotoZip that allow tracing out electrical boxes in drywall on a hunch that they might eb the way to go.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190509_180243.jpg
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	49557

Put one in my Dremmel and cranked it to high speed. Man was that the right choice. With the tracing tip it just stopped at the stud and I could just follow them till it was cut out. About as fool proof as it gets.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190509_175357.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	49556

Today I tackle the roof and wiring. There's 12v right off the light next to it so that should be easy.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerider View Post
I would like to do something similar and steal power from a light for my new vent fan. What I don't understand is don't I have to keep the ceiling light switch turned on for the fan to have power? If I do that there are 2 more lights do deal with...
The majority of my lights are switched at the light. Small push button in the middle. You only need one light to grab power but you're right, you'll have to keep the switch on if it has a wall switch.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #14

I love threads like this.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #15

I just sent an E-mail yesterday asking for the drawings for my TT. They sent them back in less than an hour.

One thing I noticed was that all measurements were referenced to the right rear corner of the trailer, for both length and width.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
I just sent an E-mail yesterday asking for the drawings for my TT. They sent them back in less than an hour.

One thing I noticed was that all measurements were referenced to the right rear corner of the trailer, for both length and width.
Yep they are. What trailer do you have cus I'm betting the frames are all the same for trailers of the same length. Did your plans have the vent frame there?
Old 05-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
Yep they are. What trailer do you have cus I'm betting the frames are all the same for trailers of the same length. Did your plans have the vent frame there?

Well actually I have a Starcraft Autumn Ridge, 266RKS. And yes, it showed where all of the cutouts were for my trailer. After reading the drawings I saw where they got the 266 designation. It's the length in inches from the right rear corner to the front where the front cap attaches. All measurements are in inches.

Pretty sure it was built on a Jayco factory production line because all major components have Jayco stickers on them with Jayco part numbers. The Engineering Print Disclaimer that accompanied the drawings said the documents were owned and copyrighted by Jayco.

What really impressed me was how fast they responded to my request and sent the correct prints for my trailer.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #18

Posting as I work. Used my router to cut the roof deck and it's a breeze. Have a long bit to punch the holesClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190510_094127.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	49564Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190510_101013.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	49565Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190510_101849.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	49566Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190510_103845.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	49567
Old 05-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #19

Great job! Is that a factory installed antenna next to the cutout?
Old 05-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Great job! Is that a factory installed antenna next to the cutout?
Ya the AM/FM. The vent clears it fine but we'll see how the vent cover does