Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2023, 08:57 PM   #1

Advice on tow vehicle for my Hummingbird 17RK

I'm learning that the GVWR, GCWR, and tow capacity of my vehicle may not be the limiting factor, since the frontal surface area is 60 square feet. It is rounded at top. https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/ (Ford's towing guidelines) indicates that any Explorer or F150 with less than 7700 pound tow capacity might struggle. I assume the same for a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Charger despite towing capacities over 6000#. Chrysler's site doesn't provide the info. Anyone have experience towing with a midsize SUV, V6, 2WD? Thanks.
JaybirdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:13 AM   #2

We towed our 2018 17RK with a 2018 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 Sport.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:20 AM   #3
CAG

A search here will bring up several hundred "can I tow this" threads one in just the last week. Here is where to start.

You are going to get opinions and not safe answers. Do good research rather than depending upon someone's guesses as to your vehicle's ability.

https://canitowthis.com/

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:23 AM   #4

I would stay within 60% of tow capacity. If it's 10K, I wouldn't tow much more than 6K. Their ratings are so biased and based on best case scenarios. Towing at near max capacity will cause much frustration and eat lots of fuel. You will really struggle on hills and towing through mountainous regions. The longer the wheelbase...the better handling.
Retired @ PCB
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:08 PM   #5

I'm with you with the SUV part, as I have no use for a pickup truck, and it has a lot more room for our big German Shepherd. Our old Armada is big, built on the 1/2 ton Titan frame.
I can't imagine a 17' "Humming Bird" weighs enough to worry so much about the GVW, though of course you want to check as you are doing to be sure.
I'm more inclined to stress about engine power/torque in a tow vehicle. And remember it's gotta scream up the long hills. The power band is in the high rpms.
Also Weight Distribution is KEY. It took me a couple years to read my Anderson manual correctly so that I now have height even within an inch from the front suv wheels all the way to the back of the trailer. And... check Andersen, as it's a light weight WDH. I love ours.
Phoenix PAL is offline   Reply With Quote