Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #1

Are new races required with new bearings?

I pulled my tires off and decided to lube the bearings. I found that the rear seal was leaking so I got new seals.

This got me to thinking and I found Timken bearings on Amazon. Can I install new bearings on the old races? There is no evidence of failure on the bearings but it would be nice to get reliable American ones.

I have no experience in changing the races or equipment to do it. Can I put new bearings (Timken) in the Chinese original equipment races?

Thanks, leaving up on the blocks till I hear back. My dealer not open till Tuesday.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #2

Personally, I wouldn’t. Replacing a race is not hard and the only tools needed are a hammer and a punch long enough to fit through the hub to the opposite side race. You will see the small lip of the race and just start tapping the race with the punch moving evenly around the race. To put the new one in, put the new race in the freezer for a bit and most of the time they will drop in, if not, I usually put the old race up against the new one and tap in the new one using the old race. Ton of YouTube videos showing it.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:36 PM   #3

Ditto.

While you have it up and apart it's not that much extra effort to replace the races too. That way you know everything is fresh.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #4

The races should always be replaced when you are replacing the bearings. They will form a specific wear pattern between the bearing and the race over time and just replacing the bearing could result in premature failure. It's pretty simple to do if you have the proper tools. I would look at picking up something like this - relatively inexpensive and will help prevent nicks or scratches when removing and installing the races:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../PTW83020.html

I carry this tool along with a complete set of bearings/seals/grease any time we head out - just a bit of extra insurance. If I have an issue but am not in a position to replace/repair myself at least I have all the parts on hand and don't need to wait for them to be ordered/delivered.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #5

Ouch, wish I had known that when I replaced my OEM bearings with Timkens. This topic didn't show up while I was doing my work. So glad that this forum exists.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #6

My local auto shop packed the new bearings, pressed the races and new seals in for $10.00 a wheel. I did have to deliver the drum one at a time to him.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #7

The hardest part is dealing with all the old grease in the hub—messy!
Isaacs is offline   Reply With Quote